Brushs Laser Cutting and 3d Printing workbench

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I've just picked up the book `Bright Underground Spaces; The railway stations of Charles Holden', by David Lawrence, f0r £12 off eBay. Looks like that will be an interesting read too.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Back to the Southern Signal Box. An isometric view just so I can visualise how I'll put the kit together. Some people use Sketch Up but I don't bother as for my needs I can work with a simple drawing to work out where the parts all link together.

trythis.jpeg

It is actually quite a simple box, the tricky part being the curved sections and effectively hiding the joins. There is a rain water pipe at each end of the Glasshouse section that will hide a join. The Glasshouse will be a separate unit and I'll be using my tried and tested method of using a base to hold the walls square. This base will be larger than the walls of the ground floor, but again I'm fortunate that the render of the building will cover this join.

Last edited:

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I'm often asked how to deal with the interlocking corners when painting. They also go on to say that is because they found there is extra work needed to blend them in to get a more realistic finish with laser cut models.

I take a lot of trouble to ensure my building kits use methods of interlocking that for example; take into account the kerf of the laser, and then are cut as accurately as the technology will allow. In most of kits if I can, I utilise the base and roof as jigs to help keep the walls and the corners square. Usually no extra work is needed.

I know that sometime it can still be tricky so I also cut the mortar courses extra deep so if needed, a little rubbing with fine wet and dry paper will square off the corners without rubbing away the engraving.

Before
IMG_2378.JPG
and after painting.
IMG_2379.JPG

Last edited:

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
A while ago now @Peter Insole and I went and surveyed some railway buildings in Essex. A very nice day too if I remember correctly. Anyway moving forward several months, I've finally from the photographs and also using the plans downloaded from the GERS, I've produced a representation of Cressing Station.

Again I've made use of the technique to produce angled bricks to faithfully mirror the prototype.

I hope that I'll be able to get some of the columns that were used on Love Lane to finish this off. I also need to add a chimney stack and maybe some extra details to the valence.

IMG_2424.JPG CRESSING 4549588903_c41d784876_o.jpg fullsizeoutput_6dc.jpeg fullsizeoutput_6dd.jpeg fullsizeoutput_6db.jpeg

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Phil, looks very nice. One question though, shouldn't the doors be half glazed as in the prototype photo? I would expect waiting rooms to have glazed upper panels so passengers can see out and for light.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Phil, looks very nice. One question though, shouldn't the doors be half glazed as in the prototype photo? I would expect waiting rooms to have glazed upper panels so passengers can see out and for light.

Yes! I noticed that earlier :( The kit will allow for glazed or solid doors.

I've noticed a couple other little tweaks I need to do as well....

adrian

Flying Squad
Nice one - the valancing looks spot on as well, although it needs the beading along the middle to break up the slab sided appearance - no doubt in hand. Will you be doing the decorative filigree on the support columns on the laser cutter?