4mm Building a Southern Region layout

O

Oliver Bulleid

OK, moving on from 3rd rail, here we have a tree.

Not just any tree but an attempt to replicate one that I see on my way to the office:

IMG_0052.jpg
The_tree.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0048.jpg
Anderson+Shelter.jpg
An odd triplet of ugly structures but these products of WW2 were everywhere in Southern England in the 50's and 60's, no doubt many of the pillboxes are still there.
Strangely lacking on layouts purporting to represent BR(S) unless the layout has a military theme.
Tim

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Ok we've had this before someone taking a picture and passing it off as a model, the last time it happened we didn't speak to him for ages. seriously that s very good most lifelike

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The garden with shelter is observed very nicely, maybe some dirt on the broom bristles and a touch of damp at the bottom of the stairs.

There are going to be one or two here who shall appreciate the rhubarb ;) .

regards, Graham

O

Oliver Bulleid

What I was trying to show was the quality and versatility of RTP's - everyone can achieve a good result and be pleased.

I believe that sharing and encouraging are the cornerstones of a good community.

Tim

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The tree in the foreground of your photo looks pretty neat... and that in the background ia handy as well :thumbs: .

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Another common sight was - as most of them have now closed/been demolished - factories that still had camouflage paint on them.
Meteor Works, Lode Lane, Solihull... home of the ?????. I recall seeing camo on some of the walls when I was in the factory late 1980s.

O

Oliver Bulleid

The big tree is a wire armature but the background example is a Heki RTP with a dusting of hairspray then some sprinkly bits.

Other trees on the layout are dried roots with sea moss branches, variety being the spice of life.

SWMBO just donated some Sainsgogs cheapo hairspray so that I can try layered static grass......photos to follow.

Tim

O

Oliver Bulleid

20130220_Caravan1.jpg
For those who live in rural bliss, no garden is complete without the static caravan.
It was never intended to be static but after a few years of neglect , the caravan just stays put. Many become annexes to the house, some are playrooms or somewhere to store things that can withstand the ravages of mildew but in the end they are abandoned to nature.
20130203_Caravan3.jpg
Something a little less cosy
20130203_Caravan2.jpg
I am not quite sure why the local folk adorn their abodes with such junk, one such rural scrap collector erected a huge sign complaining of the planning application for a solar farm. One wonders if the gentlemen had realised the irony of the situation?
Tim

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The small example is a Sprite (of some description) whilst the bigger example is a Bluebird...

Mick, keep those anoraks under control!

O

Oliver Bulleid

20130224_caravan2.jpg
Regrettably, for the environment, the abandoned caravan is as common as the Chelsea Tractor in these parts, a subtle symbol of inverted snobbery that delineates the blow-ins from the originals. I wonder if there is a market for 'shabby-chic' pallets?
As I find more suitable junk to decorate the caravan, I will update the blog.
Tim

O

Oliver Bulleid

20130313Z_30799.jpg
There was no part* of the old Southern Region where an Arthur could not be found, for the best part of twenty years, this ground breaking class of locomotives were the backbone of the Southern's heaviest passenger services.
From Exeter to Dover, they were the locomotive at the front of the fastest trains and outshone their replacements until the introduction of Bulleid's light pacifics.
It is even rumoured that Stanier took the chassis of the Southern 4-6-0 and combined it with a Swindon standard boiler to produce the indomitable 'Black Five' , all the clues are there, though, it is only a fool that cannot see the obvious.
However, why is an Eastern Division loco on Beaminster Road? It is a welcome refugee of the Kent Coast electrification when there was a wholesale redeployment of steam classes westward and 30799 become a Salisbury habitué on secondary workings.
*Just as long as the civil engineer was happy.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Tim,

very nice & in a condition that the Arms men would be proud of - please keep the pictures coming.

regards

Mike

O

Oliver Bulleid

Mike,

Beaminster Road is set in a curious time warp- it allows the use of the last T9's and Maunsell P+P sets, whilst enjoying the influx of Eastern Division locos - consequently no BR standards or diesels, the disastrous Western Region management has been ignored and the ACE still runs.

I am not entirely sure why I have no desire to finish to layout and keep prevaricating, maybe it is a phobia of having nothing left to build. Signals and the footbridge are this year's projects.

Tim

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Tim,

perhaps then an I3 with the Eastleigh 'fittings' might be in order - not to mention Bessborough in it's final livery - just two among a long list of my all time Southern favourites.

cheers

Mike

O

Oliver Bulleid

Mike,

The build list is very conservative - a rebuild of a DJH S15, rebuilding a 700 and finally looking forward to the U-Class from Dave click here

I am not sure how far west the Brighton managed to infiltrate, certainly the A1X's, E1R's and the E4 at Salisbury unless you include all the Brighton pacifics?

Tim

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I am not sure how far west the Brighton managed to infiltrate, certainly the A1X's, E1R's and the E4 at Salisbury unless you include all the Brighton pacifics?

Certainly in the fifties the odd Marsh Atlantic wasn't unknown as far as Salisbury. I suspect the J tanks never made it and although the N15x locos might have got that far west, I'd imagine their crews would have been a bit cheesed off by the time they got there...

In terms of Eastern Section locos, you have got plenty of excuse for Wainwright's thug of a 4-4-0 (the L - goodish kit from DJH) and even the odd L1 (I've seen pics of them working from Eastleigh over the MSWJR in the fifties).

Steph

O

Oliver Bulleid

There were a few other Eastern and Central division items in use around Salisbury, Weymouth and Eastleigh, including the Isle of Sheppey ex-railmotor articulated* P+P sets.

Salisbury saw the use of ex-SECR L Class 31771 on the 07:42 Bournemouth Central-Salisbury on on 21/03/52, this loco having been transferred from Ashford to Eastleigh.

In 1959, more exSECR locos displaced by the electrification of the Kent coast started to move westward, E1 Class 31497 became a regular performer on the 07:15 Salisbury- Bournemouth West, other exSECR locos include N class 31835 from Exmouth Junction, transferred to Salisbury in 1964.

Apart from those mentioned at Post#40, not many ventured further west than Salisbury unless on specials.

Tim

*Used as a reciprocal working on the S&DJR and Idmiston Workmen's train.

Graham Muz

Hi Tim,

perhaps then an I3 with the Eastleigh 'fittings' might be in order -

cheers

Mike

I3s were often seen at Salisbury pre war on the Portsmouth - Salisbury services, and in 1939 numbers 2084/7/8/9 were actually allocated to Salisbury and although for a brief period at the start of the war were officially put in to storage they were later put back into service and moved away from Salisbury.