Captain Kernow's layouts

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
It's been a bit cold to go out to the shed and do some spraying, but that's exactly what I've been needing to do to my new Hornby Skaledale R-T-P water tower, which is going to have a complete make-over before being used on Callow Lane. Here it is, in position on the layout, but before anything has been done on it. I'm going to re-paint it into red brick, with a weathered chocolate brown tank and replacement handrails and etched ladder.
IMG_6770.jpg

Today, I finally went out, put the hot air heater on for a little while, and sprayed it red oxide, as a precursor to using a more orangey-red brick colour on it. More of that anon...

In the meantime, I've built one of the last structures required for 'Callow Lane', namely a part-relief factory end, to go next to where the private siding to the Chocolate Factory disappears off scene, as shown on the diagram:
Layout plan_factory.jpg

The first version ended up a bit taller than I really wanted, as I didn't want it to dominate the adjacent cottages too much. What I did want, however, was to have buildings either side of the line that were both taller than the trains, and for said trains to be able to 'peep out from between the buildings'.

Anyway, this is the first version:
IMG_6869.JPG

Having decided it was just a little too tall, I knocked up a quick mock-up from some scrap card:
IMG_6879.JPG

I decided I preferred the proportions of the lower structure, so took a sharp scalpel to the original model:
IMG_6884.JPG

This was then put in place on the layout, together with a small industrial loco that was encouraged to indulge in a bit of peeping between buildings:
IMG_6893.JPG

IMG_6895.JPG

IMG_6898.JPG

And now, it's back to the water tower...

Caggers

Western Thunderer
I have enjoyed the cobbles progress and make me want to try, but I think I'll start with a smaller area...

Keep up the good work.
Simon

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I like the small industrial loco that is doing the peeping. :thumbs:
It's an Impetus Ruston 48DS, built some years ago by a friend in the club. One night a few years ago, he turned up with various things and offered them for sale, the Ruston included. He's done a very good job on it, but it suffered from a combination of not enough weight on the single driven axle and some rather stiff pick-ups, so I spent a few hours this afternoon fitting new pick ups, adjusting them and the weight balance, and I'm a lot happier with it now.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I've almost finished the re-vamp of the Skaledale water tower. I will say that I don't think that there's much wrong with the factory finish, especially the yellow brick (which correctly emulates the prototype at Ashchurch, Glos), but Callow Lane is predominantly a red brick location...

Some before and after photos:

IMG_6793.JPG

Over-scale (soft steel wire) handrails and ladder were removed, windows were masked off and the whole thing sprayed red oxide undercoat:
IMG_6899.JPG

An orangey-red brick colour was painted on (Precision BR Early Freight Stock Bauxite) and water colour mortar applied. Then the tank was painted W.R. brown and cream, and a replacement ladder (MSE) and 0.4mm brass handrails added. I still need to paint the lintels a 'stone' colour and give the whole thing some weathering and rust patches on the tank:
IMG_6954.JPG

IMG_6955.JPG

IMG_6958.JPG

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Hi, no more P4 news at the moment, I'm currently working on a 'narrow gauge' project... finishing an OO model of Standard 3 tank 82044 off - Bachmann body with a few additional details and modified lining, plus a modified Comet chassis, as the Bachmann one just wouldn't run properly.... started it 2 years ago and then put it to one side, because I felt guilty at not getting on with the new layout.

As for the 08 (Bachmann), it was converted using the Ultrascale drop in wheels, very good they are, too. It's also got Brassmasters replacement coupling rods.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Nice, I like the cluttered look you get with the BR classes, not saying I don't like the clean lines of say a Castle or Princess Royal, but the BR classes have a gritty workmanlike appearance to me.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris - 82044 was a Barrow Road loco at the end, would have to check on earlier allocations, but is shown in the Robert Robotham 'Steam on the Somerset & Dorset' colour book at BGP, albeit working back towards Bristol...

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
Mine was like yours before you replaced the chassis, looks OK, but the return crank keeps coming adrift which means it's OK for home use after a bodge, but not reliable enough for exhibitions where you don't want to be messing about.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Heljan have done a rather nice job on that - I wonder if they've given thought to producing a 7mm version?

Regards

Dan