Converting Lionheart 16 tonners to S7

A couple of years ago, just as I was starting to think about doing a bit of 7mm modelling, I bought a pair of Lionheart 16t minerals as they were on special offer at little more than the price of two Parkside kits.

I'm still no further on with 7mm other than collecting a couple of Heljan locos and some wagon kits but have decided to do S7. Coming from P4 this was inevitable I suppose.

Anyway, today I dug out my Lionheart 16 tonners thinking I'd slip a set of Slaters s7 wheels in and see if there were any issues with fouling the brake gear. Sadly this didn't work out as Lionheart have used short pin point axles and just to make it more frustrating they've used 3mm OD bearings so swapping in Slaters bearings isn't going to be an easy answer either.

Can anybody offer some advice on how to proceed without having to do anything too complicated. If anything too heavy duty is required I'm of the opinion that selling the wagons and buying Parkside kits instead would be a better solution but I'm hoping it won't have to come to this.

Thanks in advance

David

Overseer

Western Thunderer
A couple of years ago, just as I was starting to think about doing a bit of 7mm modelling, I bought a pair of Lionheart 16t minerals as they were on special offer at little more than the price of two Parkside kits.

I'm still no further on with 7mm other than collecting a couple of Heljan locos and some wagon kits but have decided to do S7. Coming from P4 this was inevitable I suppose.

Anyway, today I dug out my Lionheart 16 tonners thinking I'd slip a set of Slaters s7 wheels in and see if there were any issues with fouling the brake gear. Sadly this didn't work out as Lionheart have used short pin point axles and just to make it more frustrating they've used 3mm OD bearings so swapping in Slaters bearings isn't going to be an easy answer either.

Can anybody offer some advice on how to proceed without having to do anything too complicated. If anything too heavy duty is required I'm of the opinion that selling the wagons and buying Parkside kits instead would be a better solution but I'm hoping it won't have to come to this.

Thanks in advance

David
The simple solution is to contact Lionheart and ask them if they have spare S7 wheelsets to swap over, they should have them but I don't know if they will supply them for previously purchased wagons. You can order the wagons with S7 wheels and there are no problems at all with the brake gear.

I hadn't thought that Lionheart might be able to supply S7 wheels. I'll drop them a line and see if they can help.

Cheers

David

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The part of the Lionheart website which shows the wooden minerals does say that models are available with Scaleseven wheels.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
David - this is a wagon supplied by Lionheart with S7 wheelsets, straight out of the box.

Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 16.50.12.png
Tony