Dapol D63xx/class22

westernfan

Western Thunderer
I see that the long awaited model of the nbl D63xx/class 22 from Dapol has finally arrived the first batch of models for sale will be d6331 green small yellow panels according to the blurb stocks should be in the shops next Thursday or this coming Saturday at the Warley Do .

time to try and sample any surviving German e boats for the sound chip:))

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
If it's made by the factory I think made it, it should be a stunning model.

In terms of sound recordings, I'd need to check but a Deutsche Bundebahn V80 or V100 is probably a good bet; it'd need a UK horn though.

Bizarrely, an E-boat recording would work well for a Deltic...!

Steph

westernfan

Western Thunderer
If it's made by the factory I think made it, it should be a stunning model.

In terms of sound recordings, I'd need to check but a Deutsche Bundebahn V80 or V100 is probably a good bet; it'd need a UK horn though.

Bizarrely, an E-boat recording would work well for a Deltic...!

Steph
Hi wasnt the deltic a Napier, the e boats had the same MAN diesel engines as the baby warships although marine fitted .
i remember working on a refit at Gloucester docks when i thought i heard a class 08 shunter but it was a converted landing craft with gronk engine .

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Yep, correct to a point - the Napier was a rip off of a Messerschmitt/Junkers engine originally developed for marine use on fast patrol boats during WW2.

It's certainly true that MAN engines have marine applications, but they're seriously de-rated compared to their rail counterparts; they certainly would'nt rev out at the same level as a rail engine. Many rail engines are similarly treated from the Alco 251 through to the Maybach MD655...

Steph

Edited to add in a critical 'nt' after very hurried typing...

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
If anyone is thinking of getting one or more of these and wants to convert it/them to EM or P4, then Ultrascale are seeking expressions of interest in a drop-in wheel set. Dapol have loaned them a model for their evaluation.

Simon

Flying Squad
....getting one or more of these....

Tsk, we're not all cheque book modellers here y' know:p

Will you be correcting the (rather obvious when it's pointed out) connecting door errors on your fleet?

The buffers are a bit of a comedy and I think their housing look "inflated" too:))

Sorry, I'm dropping into modern image rivet counter mode, it is an absolutely exquisite model and in one area got something right that Fred didn't with his magnificent 1/32 model. (This was a sin of omission noticeable only to literal rivet counters)

So notwithstanding this last, it's still neccessary to move up to 1/32 for the full "North British Experience":thumbs:

Manfred Voith

westernfan

Western Thunderer
I have just been notified that my model is at this time being packed ready for despatch today . remember that childhood feeling on chrismas eve waiting for santa ;)

i dont envy those looking to do battle for one at Warley , now which valance shall i leave off ,decisions decisions :))

28ten

Guv'nor
I have just been notified that my model is at this time being packed ready for despatch today . remember that childhood feeling on chrismas eve waiting for santa ;)

i dont envy those looking to do battle for one at Warley , now which valance shall i leave off ,decisions decisions :))
Do post some shots when it arrives :)

westernfan

Western Thunderer
D6331 arrived this morning i have posted an image on my layout thread . i will post some more images of it later on this thread once the sky brightens up . one issue i have with the model is that the lower body panels dont fit that well so the lower body lining on the panels isnt straight and for some reason panel L1 dosent want to fit at all, it could be the hand rails causing the problem but until i remove the body i wont know . right back to running in the model

westernfan

Western Thunderer
As promised some images . I have run the model for approx 30 mins each way at medium speed but as with most new locos its noisier in one direction than the other maybe some more bedding in of the gear sets before i condem the transmission a bit like the real thing , there you go Simon you can have the NBl experience in the smaller scales;) but dont forget i was spoilt at a young age with my one off chance of driving the real thing although i cant remember which member of the class i do remember that although the exterior was in a sorry state, the engine compartment was very clean with polished copper work etc
mmm yes those buffer shanks are in your face but im sure they can be toned down or replaced with some nice brass turned prototyipical scale buffers . re the price i dont know how much the silver fox kit is plus bachmann class 20 chassis and paint and decals but for a rtr model which will only be of intrest to some of the paying public i think its ok i see antics have it listed at £104.50 . Now i wonder if dapol can be persuaded to make this model in o gauge along with an AC cars railbus ,that wound make one kit maker not so happy happy happy . i still havent forgiven him for unleashing the reynold girls

Attachments

• P1010734(1).JPG
    P1010734(1).JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010750(1).JPG
    P1010750(1).JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010751(1).JPG
    P1010751(1).JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010752(1).JPG
    P1010752(1).JPG
    365.2 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010748(1).JPG
    P1010748(1).JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 24

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
perhaps Dapol will correct these items when they do it in O Gauge

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/in...m-private-owner-wagons-announced/page__st__25

see post #27 from Dapol Dave (the Dapol owner) - start saving everyone!

cheers

Mike

I'm already saving Mike :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: & from what Dapol Dave has mentioned on that thread it looks like lots of interesting 7mm products may be forthcoming, not least the possibility of a class 22 :)
I have been moaning for years that non of the other manufacturers have followed Heljans brave lead into RTR 7mm, so this is most welcome news for me :), although I would imagine this may ruffle a few feathers among the modelers who's main hobby is kit building, but for layout builders (such as myself) the availability of RTR stock & locos in both decorated & undecorated versions would be great, leaving me to just super detail & weather them & get on with the layout :D.............bring it on !!!!!

Cheers Phill