Designing For Laser Cutting

JimG

Western Thunderer
Alan,

You need to think quite carefully about it, I cut a lot of parts for a local maker of dolls houses which makes it viable, and you do need to be up to speed with CAD as you spend far more time drawing than cutting.

I would agree with Cynric. Although I've been working with a more traditional CNC milling machine, it has taken up a fair chunk of my life in the past year trying to get to know all the ins and outs of working with it - and, like Cynric, the majority of that time has been working with CAD and CAM programs, and not on the machine itself. I might be able to sell some of the output of the machine, but it is basically an expensive toy. However, if you are like me and have entered the bus pass stage of life, then it does let you produce accurate models when your hands and eyes are probably getting a bit past it. :(

Jim.

28ten

Guv'nor
Although this is digressing into weathering, part of the design process is getting the best out of the materials. I have cut fairly deeply into the mdf to give the mortar a chance to 'stick' as I suggested earlier this makes the bricks a little smaller.

This first shot shows before and after using just 2 shades of Vallejo over grey primer with dry polyfiller rubbed into the courses followed by a light moistening to set it, obviously the colour needs to be worked.

IMG_4244.JPG

The second close up shows how the mortar has filled the gaps compared to the sample on the right, there is also potential to gouge the mortar and brickwork for some distressed effects.
IMG_4247.JPG

I will laser some more samples tomorrow and I will try a coat of Klear over the brickwork before applying the mortar as most of the brick colour has rubbed off, I could also try red oxide primer as well.
Anyway, I think this shows sufficient promise to use MDF rather than Rowmark for the brickwork. It would be a harder decision in 7mm, but anything smaller than that and I think the Rowmark wins out.

Attachments

• IMG_4245.JPG
    IMG_4245.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 3

28ten

Guv'nor
Alan,
I would agree with Cynric. Although I've been working with a more traditional CNC milling machine, it has taken up a fair chunk of my life in the past year trying to get to know all the ins and outs of working with it - and, like Cynric, the majority of that time has been working with CAD and CAM programs, and not on the machine itself. I might be able to sell some of the output of the machine, but it is basically an expensive toy. However, if you are like me and have entered the bus pass stage of life, then it does let you produce accurate models when your hands and eyes are probably getting a bit past it. :(

Jim.
The CNC mill opens a whole different world of possibilities, I have been looking at the small Proxxon mill and a possible CNC conversion, whilst it is small I could put it to work making some masters for casting :cool:.
I think that when you choose a minority scale, you very quickly start looking at this technology to get things done faster and more accurately, you probably saw the chairs from shapeways on the Templot group and im thinking right, GWR chairs here we come!

28ten

Guv'nor
This shot should show how the layers are built up for the window details
cross section.JPG
Also the lip for the floor, shows up here, I have allowed 4mm to bed the model into the surrounding scene, which is sufficient for this particular model.

shed 1.JPG

The final shot shows the roof in place, but I still need to work out the smoke troughs and the pit

28ten

Guv'nor
It has been a few days but I have been sidetracked by the parcels shed, as I wanted to Test a few details on something smaller. If anyone is interested Ill sort something explaining how it goes from the drawing to the laser.
This is one side, the slight pattern on the brickwork is due to the laser path
IMG_4272-1.JPG

I have also done a couple of other things :))
IMG_4272.JPG

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
looking good Cynric.

Seeing the 3/8th scale in the picture, perhaps Simon could do with a supply to send out as a 'freebie' with his book orders as a subtle conversion tool to promote his 'cause' to the die-hard 10mm G1MRA members;)

cheers

Mike

adrian

Flying Squad
Facinating developments - I'm watching closely.

Is it me or is there a vertical banding on the mortar cuts? It seems that there is a heavy cut followed by a light cut, is this from the drawing or is it the cutting tool?

28ten

Guv'nor
Facinating developments - I'm watching closely.

Is it me or is there a vertical banding on the mortar cuts? It seems that there is a heavy cut followed by a light cut, is this from the drawing or is it the cutting tool?
You are quite correct, it is the direction of the laser path, I need to get them all going in the same direction, even though it is less efficient. you would be amazed how quickly the laser travels over the material.
This batch of Rowmark is better quality that the last I had (which was a cheap substitute) and it can be glued with mek

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
coming on nicely Guv, but should there not be a lintel? Bricktor reinforcement in ielu of lintels would have been a much later period (just had to have a lintel inserted at home due to Bricktor failure)

cheers

Mike

28ten

Guv'nor
Yes there should but it is not visible under the eaves. That is not to say I might not add the detail :) it also needs a window ledge.
The door is a bit odd as well, being 4ft wide the proportions look a bit off, but I guess it was that size to get trolleys in.

28ten

Guv'nor
Just to show the similarities with artwork for etching, this is ready to go to the laser. I have separated cuts (red) from horizontal and vertical lines. I will try and put the whole process in logical order as I have jumped about here :))Capture.JPG

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Does look very good indeed Guv. In terms of drawing the brickwork, do you have to draw the lines individually, or can you generate a pattern for speed?

28ten

Guv'nor
You lay out the bottom two courses and repeat them up the wall - its dead easy. The art is in making sure the wall and openings align with the brickwork

28ten

Guv'nor
I have been messing with lasering letters with a view to making a small replica GWR station sign. with a suitable backing and once primed it should look the part.

IMG_4279.JPG

28ten

Guv'nor
Cookie asked how I was getting on, so here is couple of shots. The staining is because I turned the 'juice' up as I wasnt entirely happy with the mortar course on the last sample, it is now a bit deeper and wider as a result of the extra power. The other settings are fine for 4mm but the bigger scale needs more relief also on the todo list is the door lintel as the brickwork doesnt look quite spot onIMG_4292.JPG

IMG_4293.JPG