DJH A3

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Following on from Warren's thread about the DJH Britannia, and my ramblings of an unsound mind as a part of the following comments I thought I should, as promised, put my money where my mouth is and show you the A3. So here it is. Sorry it's not all brightly shining - consider it to be weathered, pre-painting :D . Wheels and motion have been chemically blackened although not all the pins and fixings on the motion have yet been trimmed back. The brake gear was fitted but caused shorting problems on test so has been removed for modification, probably by using Heather's screwed fixings.

Loco is built with sprung insulated hornblocks on all driving wheels and split axles on the front and rear driving wheels.

Loco was bought from the Bring & Buy at a Guildex for less then £100 as a basket case with some wheels, (and some bits from another kit!) but so badly assembled I took it apart and started again. Even the tabs had not been filed off the chassis assembly! Nevertheless it was complete apart from the cylinder blocks which were supplied as replacements by DJH. The tender with the loco was of the corridor persuasion and I wanted a loco from the late 50s/early 60s so it went on e-bay. The selling price paid for a new tender!

Please excuse the bird poo on the table which I failed to notice when I started these photos. Pigeon now shot and in the pot. Poo collected for fertilising garden.

100_2013.JPG100_2015.JPG

I had photos of the back head but the unit in the kit did not make up exactly as the prototype. The shield for the fire hole door interfered with the position of the pipes so they had to be kinked to go round it.

100_2010.JPG

And here it is within the cab. There have been problems reported with a previous build of this loco whereby the backhead would not fit the cab when built but in this case, subject to a bit of twisting and turning (of the back head, not me), it fitted without having to remove the cab roof (and has now been removed once again ready for painting).

100_2014.JPG

The tender I've matched with the loco is one of David Andrews' best, purchased before he stopped selling tenders separately. It was a pleasant build, but I struggled as I amways do with the tender flares. In this case the brake gear is the original David Andrews version with the brake shoes insulated using 5 minute epoxy. It has split axles for pick up using the Slaters original design insulated sprung hornblocks and there are no shorting problems with this.

100_2011.JPG
100_2012.JPG

And finally a photo of loco and tender in combination. (Notice - bird poo detected, pigeon dispatched and garden fertilised by the time this picture was taken)

100_2016.JPG

Almost ready for the paint shop once the loco brakes are sorted and one or two minor details added or put right.

Brian

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Very Nice Brian, in hindsight I think that my backhead fitting problems were caused by my fitting of pipework to the top sets of gauges

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Very Nice Brian, in hindsight I think that my backhead fitting problems were caused by my fitting of pipework to the top sets of gauges

Very kind comment, Rob.

That's an interesting possibility (re the back head). In that respect I followed the DJH instructions which are, to be fair, a little woolly in the area of cab detailing. However, if it looks right it is right! And when someone tells me that the cab of an A3 didn't look like that I'll ask them which particular loco they are talking about.

Hope you'll do the same!

Brian

alcazar

Not bad, not bad at all.

I literally LOL'd at the bird poo in shot...and your comment. Didn't notice...........? You couldn't make it up, could you, we are so far up our own posteriors with this hobby that a huge lump of bird muck fails to register...and why not?

Which A3 will it be? Did you think about a Martin Finney tender?

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
A compliment indeed!

You are so right about us being anal in our concerns. I suppose even funnier is that I didn't reshoot the bird poo shots. I guess I assumed that my audience would be more interested in the loco than the bird poo..... And it really wasn't that big.

This one will be 60064, Tagalie, which I saw at Kings Cross. It was one of the first to be withdrawn so never received the smoke deflectors. It was also paired with a LNER non corridor tender which I knew I could buy from David Andrews and as I was enjoying the build of one of his ex LNWR Super Ds at the time David got the order.

The second from the Finney kit will be 60066, Merry Hampton - again a loco I saw at Kings Cross but this one had smoke deflectors and a GNR tender just to give a bit of variety.

Brian

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
As one who's watched this from afar the one thing which has amazed me about this is the speed with which such a large loco has gone together. It says a lot about both DJH and David Andrews that this is the case. It's not as though any shortcuts have been taken in the build either, Dad and I have talked about a couple of issues as the build has progressed and he's very fastidious about both preparation and cleaning up.
It will be very interesting to compare with a Finney equivalent under what are otherwise controlled conditions.
I look forward to seeing them finished. Even if they will be a touch incredulous on the DNS!
Steph

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Many a fine model has been derailed on an outdoor track by bird poo, i'm not surprised that it was soon noticed at all :), cheers Rob

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
and he's very fastidious about both preparation and cleaning up.

Even if they will be a touch incredulous on the DNS!
Steph

Shhhh! Everyone can see that it's covered in crap dust and dirt and not at all shiny. In fact I'm not at all certain that the bird poo wasn't something that fell off the loco.:))

And I don't think it'll out of place on the DNS alongside the Super D, Sentinel and Jinty.

Brian/Dad

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
It will be very interesting to compare with a Finney equivalent under what are otherwise controlled conditions.
Steph

Hi Steph,

It depends what you are looking for in a model. In my opinion, the DJH A3 looks like an A3, but lacks finesse and is let down by pretty much everything under the footplate.

The Finney kit has its weaknesses too - brake gear, loco springs and a few areas I've forgotten. but it is markedly superior IMHO.

That's not a criticism of Brian's work.I'm sure once he has done the Finney one, he will say the same.

Here's a couple a shots to show what I mean.

A3Finished 030.jpg

A3Finished 033.jpg

Cheers

Richard

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

It depends what you are looking for in a model. In my opinion, the DJH A3 looks like an A3, but lacks finesse and is let down by pretty much everything under the footplate.

Richard

Hi Richard.

Looking at your photos (and following our conversations) it is clear that the Finney A3 is a superior model. However, I take Steph's view to an extent in that the build was surprisingly quick (in fact I seem to remember talking to you about it at Railex last May and saying at that time that I was about to start on it). In fact I built a CCT and was working on the 9F as I built the A3. The DJH kit produces a recognisable A3 at the end of the day although the level of finesse on your Finney loco is streets ahead.

There was also the temptation of rebuilding an exceedingly inexpensive basket case and I'm delighted I did so. I'm also keen on the concept of having more than a single member of the class and I'll be interested to see the two side by side.

I'll be relying on your WT details of the build as I start the new kit - after finishing the 9F and Sentinel!

Best regards.

Brian

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Brian, very nice model, we must remember the A3 was one of the first 7mm offerings from DJH, the later BR standards are not far off the best out there.

This is my Finney A3 which took close on a year to build spending a couple of hours here and there.its not perfect but does the job,

image.jpg

Like Richard says, much more detail underneath but no more an A3 than the DJH one.
Look forward to seeing it finished and awaiting your choice of handrail colour :) .
Warren

Ps will you have it finished before I finish the Brit

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Might I just say... I could be wrong, but something doesn't look right with the reach rod to combination lever link, the one that adjusts the cutoff on the valve gear...? Anyone else ?

Apologies if I'm wrong..

JB.

adrian

Flying Squad
Might I just say... I could be wrong, but something doesn't look right with the reach rod to combination lever link, the one that adjusts the cutoff on the valve gear...? Anyone else ?
Now that you point it out - yes. At a cursory glance it looks good but yes I believe the reversing arm/lifting rod should be a 90 degree bend, getting reverse gear with the current arrangement might be quite difficult.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Very nice models, both, each has it's points and I can see the attraction of both, especially the preformed boiler and firebox that DJH opt for.

I do have a Finney A4 under the desk and have to admit on first inspection was quite underwhelmed, the cast boiler and smoke box leaving little else to model .

Hello again Mick.

I have to say that I'll be cautious about a cast boiler in future (this was the first kit I've built with a cast boiler). I assumed the boiler would be round - you know what is said about assumptions - and built up all the detailing leaving the smokebox door off so I had plenty of room inside for the soldering iron. When I came to fit the smokebox door I discovered that the boiler was, in fact, oval :rant:. By this time it had been fitted and soldered to the footplate so the obvious choice of sticking it in the vice for a gentle squeeze was not possible. I ended up with wooden blocks under the footplate and supporting the boiler and applied vertical pressure on the bench. In other words I leaned on it - hard! Fortunately it worked and after two or three goes came back in to shape.

The problem was caused, I suspect, because the casting was much thicker on one side than the other and I believe the casting shrank differentially as it cooled.

As far as the Finney castings are concerned I've not built anything of hgis with a resin cast boiler yet but have an unrebult Battle of Britain ready to go. I, too, have mixed feelings, but both the A4 and BB have quite subtle but very obvious if wrong contours and a casting may be the best way to guarantee a result. Each to his own I guess.

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer

Apologies if I'm wrong..

JB.

Very interesting comment.

I'm not terribly knowledgable about Walschaerts valve gear so construct mine as it comes out of the box. It looks OK to me but on the basis of no knowledge I guess that's not too surprising! I will, however, have another look at the drawings for mine and see whether there are any differences.

To what extent can the Isinglass drawings be relied upon?

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Ps will you have it finished before I finish the Brit

Not sure about that, Warren. I have two or three things awaiting a nice hot, wind free day to start work on. But first of all the A3 needs a good scrub (it has been in a neutralising bath to deal with the flux, but has not been properly cleaned afterwards).

Maybe the answer is to take it as excess baggage to some foreign climes - we may have to wait a year or two for the mythical English summer!

And as for the hand rails.... I have time to think about that (chickening out of making a decision).

Brian

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian, I've had a look at a couple of pictures, and yes it is incorrect I'm afraid..

As Adrian said, the lifting link that connects on to the combination rod (long one across the top of the valve gear itself) should be at 90 degrees, rather than about 120 degrees as it looks in the model. You would never be able to get revers gear as it is at the moment..

JB.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Oh bugg what a nuisance! I'll check it against the instructions again, although I'm sure the assembly is as per. Then I'll have a look at a diagram and see if I can work out whether it can be put right. In fact I may just take a view of the valve gear both sides, publish on this erudite site and look for suggestions.

I'm very grateful to you for letting me know. If I decide to do nothing I've only myself to blame when someone tells me it's wrong!

Brian

alcazar

Mick: sell me the Finney A4 and buy an Acorn ex Ennis one from ACE Models. On that one, you literally build the casing in bits like the real ones. AND it only costs £300 or so with tender.

I was intrigued at your description of the A4 Finney casting. On the real thing, there IS a depression behind the chimney, it's said to lift the exhaust better. It's there on the Piercey A4 casting too, which is pewter.

Could you post a pic?