Drill bits

Healey Mills

Western Thunderer
Hello,

I wonder if someone here might be able to give me a little guidance on the correct drill bit to use for drilling into Roxey Mouldings steel wheel axles? This is prior to commencing cutting with a fret saw to eventually end up with split axles. Having spoken to Roxey Mouldings it would seem the wheels are made from mild steel.

I guess I need to use a 0.8mm drill bit and wondered whether a HSS bit would do the job?

Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Lee

JimG

Western Thunderer
I guess I need to use a 0.8mm drill bit and wondered whether a HSS bit would do the job?

Lee,

A sharp HSS drill will work in mild steel with no problems. The only thing to be careful with when drilling under power with a small diameter drill is to avoid the flutes clogging which can cause the drill to break. Use a peck drilling action where the drill is retracted from the hole frequently during drilling to let the swarf clear out of the flutes. It might be better if you could use a larger diameter drill - say 1mm - 1.5mm.

Jim.

Healey Mills

Western Thunderer
Hi All,

Thank you or your help, guidance and suggestions.

Brian, I had looked at Stephs web page re: split axles and in fact he did suggest a 1.0mm drill bit. I was just edging my bets a little perhaps trying to use a 0.8mm bit.

Thanks you all once again
Regards
Lee