7mm Finney Battle of Britain

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Picked up my Bulleid kit today from Reading. Good to meet Richard at long last. Looking forward, with a healthy dose of fear, to having a go at building the kit at some stage. Lots of other projects to finish first though....

mickoo

Western Thunderer
The Bulleid Society website has a mesmerising 360 degree view of Blackmoor Vale's cab.Maybe it,ll prove additional inspiration when weathering that superb Backhead? It,s been a real pleasure watching a fine kit and fine workmanship combine in mostly? happy union.Thank you.
Thank you for the kind comments, it has been an up and down ride, more to do with my lack of skill set in some areas LOL

Blackmoor Vale, indeed they do ;) frustratingly they have back dated the engine to SR period with no AWS fittings or conduit, the next nearest, and probably more genuine candidate is Winston Churchill with it's full black cab....which means most peoples photos on the web use flash and the roof area is pitch black. If only I'd know a couple of years ago that I'd need detail cab shots I'd of taken some :eek:

The backhead is a model within a model and captures the cluttered look of the real thing.

Mick D

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Picked up my Bulleid kit today from Reading. Good to meet Richard at long last. Looking forward, with a healthy dose of fear, to having a go at building the kit at some stage. Lots of other projects to finish first though....
Take your time and in small bite sized steps and you'll be just fine :thumbs:

Just treat the kit as lots of little kits that make up the whole and before you know it, it'll all be done.

Mick D

Dikitriki

Flying Squad

Nice to meet you too Chris. It's good to get all the feedback, and feeling of anticipation as people collect their kits. I well remember being faced with a mass of lovely etching when I first attempted a Finney kit. However, once you work out what's what - and our instructions really do help in this respect in identifying the components - just take a deep breath, get stuck in and take it step by step. It soon starts to make sense, the trepidation goes, and the enjoyment kicks in :)

You're still welcome to visit Heyside when you come past.

Richard

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks Richard, much appreciated - both the visit offer and the instructions.

How things have moved on... The shedmaster instructions I have for their Beattie Well Tank are a page of typed text and a list of parts. Absolutely gobsmacked by the extremely comprehensive instruction manuals that come with the Bulleid loco and tender kits. Very very impressive.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
As things draw to a close, there's only a few remaining bits left to do. One of these being the final rendition of the insulated sprung tender chassis for split axle operation.

Y'all may remember it was a simple fold up affair and thus it was folded and painted, screws, springs and axle boxes added.

IMG_9352.jpg

I made the brake gear removable as getting the push fit wheels on the axles is impossible with it in place, 14BA screws and appropriate tube space and secure the brake rigging in place.

IMG_9353.jpg

A small strip of double sided copper clad board was added and tails to each axle box. The tapered end axles are 5/32" and the insulated axle boxes are 3/16" so suitable tube was procured, cut and loctited into the axle boxes, left over length the outstanding tube is ideal for fixing the pick up wires to.

The little dimples are not some secret code for hidden treasure or which axle box goes where, simply remnants of an earlier experiment. Initially the axle boxes had small indents drilled to locate the free end of the spring, but experience shows this to be pointless, they're quite happy in there on their own and with only 1 - 1.2mm free space twixt screw and axle box at full extension, are never going to spring out.

Rather than go to the expense of new axle boxes, those in the trial were simply rotated so the untouched surface was on top.

Final step are two further flying leads and mini plug for connection to the engine and then tiz all complete, except....I've just realized I haven't done the shorting bars on the backs of the wheels, but those will have to wait until I've drawn the W1 brake gear ready for the etchers next week.

MD

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Pretty soon I hope.......
Waiting for the last set of etches to come back (hopefully end of this week) and be signed off, then castings masters and instructions.

If the etches are okay then Nick will have a full set by end of month with hopefully a hand over at Kettering, that's the plan, but is dependent on PPD, Mr Pat and his cat!

Castings, 90% of the A4 are identical and are a perfect fit; we can order those as and when. There will be a short delay whilst making the moulds for the specific W1 bits, again that depends on the mould and casting makers.

The overall plan is still to release by Telford; but I won't nail that to the mast due to possible unforeseen delays by third parties.

Sorry it's taken so long, changing from the original shell to the Finney7 shell resulted in a redesign of the footplate, chassis front end and cab front which hasn't helped matters and resulted in the two original test build models effectively being binned.

MD

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Mick, the Bulleid I picked up at Reading had several items to follow. Any idea when these will be available? Many thanks.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Chris,

All the components are available now and packed up for you (and others)....except for the springs and axleboxes. These we hope will have new moulds made in the next few weeks, wherupon we have to OK the initial castings and then order a production run, We were waiting for everything to be available, but if you wish for all the other bits to be sent in advance of the tender springs/axleboxes, we will do so. If you are going to Kettering, we can pass them over then.

Richard

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

All the components are available now and packed up for you (and others)....except for the springs and axleboxes. These we hope will have new moulds made in the next few weeks, wherupon we have to OK the initial castings and then order a production run, We were waiting for everything to be available, but if you wish for all the other bits to be sent in advance of the tender springs/axleboxes, we will do so. If you are going to Kettering, we can pass them over then.

Richard

No rush Richard, just a general enquiry to see where things were up to. Good to see things are in hand as usual.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
They say, the last 5% takes 95% of the time, they were not lying!

A change of tack onto the engine didn't see much progress, buffers, hook (temporary) steam heat pipe, AWS battery box and side window frames, not bad for fourteen hours work!

I made some windscreens, the glue smeared so out they came, the third dropped out, at which point I got exceedingly cross. Fearing for the BLP's welfare I went outside and proceeded to beat some pallets into smaller bits for the log burner, with a very big sledge hammer and lots of blue words.

Suitably cleansed I returned and made two more, one of which dropped out, the other smeared again. At this point I took the hint and packed everything away, ordered some new glue (clear), took some photos, poured a large Apricot Brandy and finished off the last of the Xmas cake.

Anyway, the photos to date, a few things still to do though.
IMG_9455.jpg

IMG_9459.jpg

IMG_9456.jpg

IMG_9462.jpg

On the plus side, the new photo studio lights work well, no more waiting for sunny days at the weekend to take photos, mind, I do need to play around with positions, back drops and settings.

Enjoy.

MD

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Mick

It looks great but if you want better photos with endless depth of field you need Helicon Focus focus stacking made easy.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Or the tripod and a higher F stop, F 10 and F 11 are always going to give poor depth of field this close.

The tripod was in the car, it was cold outside, the aim wasn't publication quality photos just a rough progress keep every one up to date :oops:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
f10‽ Shurely shome mishtake.

I use f16 for broadsides, though you can get away with lower. For three-quarters on views, f22 and circles of confusion be damned. I hate having to do post on my photos, but I do plan on trying out focus stacking soon. Oh, and most definitely a tripod.