First Birthday competition

28ten

Guv'nor
To mark the first birthday I thought a little competition might be fun  8)
The rules are very simple ( I like simple)
The Aim
To produce a layout concept in any scale in a space of no more than 35ftx20ft (there should be something for everyone in that space!)
You will need
A plan
Discussion on the concept and reasoning behind the proposal

Notes
The plan can be anything from a sketch to a full Templot design, fictional or prototype, entries can be a simple or as complicated as you like, and the challenge requires no modelling skill whatsoever, and it costs nothing  :))
The prize is a custom title for this forum, this is really just a little fun and daydreaming.
I will make a subforum for your ideas and on January 1st I will set up a poll to vote for the favourite concept.

28ten

Guv'nor
Jordan said:
Does "fictional or prototype" mean a location or setting anywhere, or are we sticking within the GWR/ BR (W) Region? (i.e. NO Dark Side stuff :vista:  :)) ...)

Anyway, is it One Year already..??  :eek:  :bowdown: :bowdown: :thumbs:
Anything, anywhere! The only constraint is the room size.  And I should have said you can have as many entries as you like.

S

Simon Dunkley

28ten said:
To produce a layout concept in any scale in a space of no more than 35ftx20ft (there should be something for everyone in that space!)
Bit tight for G1, is 20' of width.  :eek:

S

Simon Dunkley

A 10' radius to the centre line of the track needs extra width for the loading gauge, allowing for overhang on the curves...
May as well say 21' wide, to have that safely in place.
(Most stuff will go round less, but does not look so good. It's more or less equivalent to 4' radius in 4mm scale.)

S

Simon Dunkley

Given that sort of space as a maximum, then one option would be to build a simple, portable G1 test track with scenery in the form of a Futers' doughnut, based on Longwitton, and partition off the rest of the room to create a workshop area and also a lounge area with computer (nowadays, who needs a TV as well?), books, comfy chair (or two), sink, kettle, fridge and also some space for the other half to do her hobbies, so we can relax and kick-back from life together.

The doughnut would look like this:

Attachments

• LongWitton.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 10

Neil

Western Thunderer
Anyone else working on a plan? I see Simon (Dunks) has kicked off with an idea; 35'x20' I should be able to shoehorn a design into that sort of space.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Neil said:
Anyone else working on a plan?

I have one in the [Belgian accent] 'little grey cells' [/Belgian accent], it just hasn't made it onto paper yet. I shall add it to the Christmas Holiday 'To Do' list (which will at least allocate it some time, but perhaps not completed if the last few years are anything to go by...)

Steve

D1054

Western Thunderer
Only just caught up with this one! I've been dreaming of trying something in Railworks 2 simulator, but perhaps will float it on here first......

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Time to give Dunks some competition ;)

I've attempted to squeeze the last three stations on the Culm Valley Light Railway, in S, into the space given. I like the idea of a walk around style layout (with wireless DCC control), a sense of journey / distance, some periods of just train in landscape, operational flexibility (run as one engine in steam or support a group of three, maybe four operators) and waybills for each wagon, so I've doodled the following

CVLR Plan_large.JPG.png

Its a lot of work (the mainline run is over 100', the baseboard is rarely less than two feet wide so there is acres of scenery to do), but it is not impossible to do given enough time and motivation - retirement project?

I chose S because I just think that it would relish the space without being overpowering or looking underwhelming. Suggested height is with the rails at 48" off the floor, in a shadow box style presentation (dark brown pelmit and fascia, dark brown curtains covering up legs which are set back at least a foot from the front edge), full height sky backscene on wall with 3 foot radius corners. A sky coloured curtain would run from where the backscene ends on the left handside down to the swan neck at the bottom of the plan, removing the distraction of the doorway and fiddle yard. The space between Hemyock and Whitehall is big enough for a couple of chairs and a table, so one can sit in the middle and watch others running, or just drink tea.

I've decided that the doorway for the room is at the bottom left, a convenient distance from the wall to give room for a fiddleyard - I'd go for a traverser with a loco relase to minimise stock handling. The train exits the yard through a plasterboard backscene that has been laid around the room and skimmed with plaster for as good a finish as possible. Past a couple of trees, over a three span steel bridge then around an easing right hand curve (ruling radius on mainline is 6', about 4' in the brickworks) into Culmstock. A loop and two sidings, its either a place to stop and pass through, or collect / set down a wagon or two. A run of 40' now, just fields, trees and a single bridge to cross, as we wind around scale radius (6 chain) curves to arrive at Whitehall Halt. The distance between Culmstock and Whitehall is about a third of what it should be, but that is the same ratio of compression between Whitehall and Hemyock, so its in proportion. A small (3 wagon) siding exists here, providing some service to the attached mill. The line then winds back around another 180 degrees (long transition in), passing the trailing siding that leads through a gate into the Culm Davey brickworks. Hemyock arrives next (all of the track layouts are of the post 1930's changes) although this one is a little more curved than the original in the area of the main run round loop, just to try and squeeze that bit of extra length. None of the buildings are drawn to scale in the plan, so most are too large, but they give an idea of how it would look.

Operation is simply pretending to be driver / fireman / guard. With DCC, I'd have sound fitted locos, working head code lamps, taillights on the stock, ground frames at the two larger stations (hand levers everywhere else), line tokens and a delivery schedule. The time taken for a run would be extended by operating crossing gates and slowing down for the sharper curves. Full ambient sounds would be cool, as would be the option to run at night.

Stock requirements can start at one 14xx, a coach and a few milktankers plus another wagon or two - the real thing was one engine in steam anyway. Main stock period would be circa 1947 to 1955, but I'd be happy to accept any compromises and be able to run stock outside of this period, right up to the hydraulics - I'm just not sure I'd want to build them in S! Although I think it would be good as a solo runner, I reckon it would be more fun by seriously ramping up the train frequency and getting at least two others to be running at the same time. With the dairy workings just past Hemyock having three sidings, general goods traffic and cattle requirements, there is enough to shuffle around before adding the brickworks, Whitehall and Culmstock into the equation.

Steve[/attach]

S

Simon Dunkley

Steve Cook said:
I've attempted to squeeze the last three stations on the Culm Valley Light Railway, in S, into the space given. I like the idea of a walk around style layout (with wireless DCC control), a sense of journey / distance, some periods of just train in landscape, operational flexibility (run as one engine in steam or support a group of three, maybe four operators) and waybills for each wagon, so I've doodled the following.
Very nice. Very, very nice.
There is no reason why you cannot start on this now by building various pieces, and arrange your life so that in ten years time, you can afford to buy a house with a large enough garden and outline planning permission to have a large shed put up to house such a scheme...
As you say, make Culmstock a proper passing station, so that freight can pass freight, passenger or mixed trains, have a two-man crew for the trains (driver and guard - latter in charge of shunting) and you could be well away...

28ten

Guv'nor
I like that! The concept of following a train on it journey is something that often gets forgotten and I think this approach is very cinematic. Strangely I have concieved a similar idea but for the DVR.

G

Graham Powell

I thought about going over th S gauge myself after 35 years of O gauge modelling. Being a keen scratchbuilder it was the lack of driving wheels etc that largely put me off. The other day I was looking at the S gauge society website and it now appears that there are a fair range of driving wheels available. Best of luck with you endeavours anyway.
rgds
Graham Powell :wave: :bowdown: :thumbs:

28ten

Guv'nor
Jordan said:
I like the plan (nightmare benchwork, though!!), though I see a lot of US thinking in it... where they haven't forgotten the "journey", but then they usually have the space to realise the ambition.... :headbang:
That is something I like about US layouts, and the concept of driving the route, but it does seem better suited to smaller scales

S

Simon Dunkley

Don't wish to be rude, but was this particular forum created so that people could post ideas for a layout in a space? We've only had two, so far...

28ten

Guv'nor
Simon Dunkley said:
Don't wish to be rude, but was this particular forum created so that people could post ideas for a layout in a space? We've only had two, so far...
Erm... Time and the events of the last three weeks have overtaken me, given some time I will do something this W/e and extend it a couple of weeks.