4mm Fryers Lane

Mark F

Western Thunderer
While I'm still in a "don't want to commit to any deadlines" sort of a mood, SWAG 23 seems sufficiently far away that it should be possible to have the layout in a presentable state and I'd be very happy to attend, so feel free pencil away - personally I'm only allowed to use crayons.

Mark F

Western Thunderer
Yesterday afternoon, with rain and high winds putting me off doing anything outside, I started having a look at some buildings for the layout. I had printed off a Scalescenes boxfile layout a while ago and thought that might provide a starting point, but all it did was remind me that I'm not a fan of card buildings. Feeling a bit deflated, I picked up another project that had been on the to do list for a while.

This Hornby Sentinel used to belong to my Dad, it was looking a bit sorry for itself when it came to me with some parts loose and in need of a clean to remove accumulated dust.
20220206_202827.jpg
More importantly for it to be of any use to me it is going to need some new wheels.
20220206_203821.jpg
The axles on these are (I think) 3mm diameter, fortunately EMGS supply a stepped axle that has a 3mm centre section but steps down to 2mm at the ends. My first attempt used some Gibson wheels (labelled as being intended for Heljan class 15 or 17) but this wasn't hugely successful so instead I used some 12mm Black Beetle wheels - shiny!
20220206_212032.jpg
The gears are a little loose on the axles, so that needs sorting out before it's ready for testing, I'll also need to get a DCC decoder for it. Next I need to work out a way of refitting the side frames a little further apart than they were originally.
20220206_212947.jpg

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
While I'm still in a "don't want to commit to any deadlines" sort of a mood, SWAG 23 seems sufficiently far away that it should be possible to have the layout in a presentable state and I'd be very happy to attend, so feel free pencil away - personally I'm only allowed to use crayons.

Consider it done. Look at you with your crayons !

I'm banned having eaten too many over the years.

R

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Yesterday afternoon, with rain and high winds putting me off doing anything outside, I started having a look at some buildings for the layout. I had printed off a Scalescenes boxfile layout a while ago and thought that might provide a starting point, but all it did was remind me that I'm not a fan of card buildings. Feeling a bit deflated, I picked up another project that had been on the to do list for a while.

This Hornby Sentinel used to belong to my Dad, it was looking a bit sorry for itself when it came to me with some parts loose and in need of a clean to remove accumulated dust.
View attachment 156305
More importantly for it to be of any use to me it is going to need some new wheels.
View attachment 156306
The axles on these are (I think) 3mm diameter, fortunately EMGS supply a stepped axle that has a 3mm centre section but steps down to 2mm at the ends. My first attempt used some Gibson wheels (labelled as being intended for Heljan class 15 or 17) but this wasn't hugely successful so instead I used some 12mm Black Beetle wheels - shiny!
View attachment 156308
The gears are a little loose on the axles, so that needs sorting out before it's ready for testing, I'll also need to get a DCC decoder for it. Next I need to work out a way of refitting the side frames a little further apart than they were originally.
View attachment 156307
Look a you with your very tidy workbench...

(And you can't hide that beer)

Mark F

Western Thunderer
I spent a little time this afternoon reminding myself of what I'm hoping to achieve with the extended version of Fryers Lane, having first spent some time clearing various unfinished projects off the layout (the downside of the layout being a convenient shelf above my workbench).

To recap, I'm extending the scenic section of the layout from 1435mm to 2100mm and the depth from 450mm to 600mm. For home use, the existing 1200mm fiddle yard will remain at the right end of the layout. At the other end, there might be an optional mini fiddle yard with through access for the rear siding only, representing an anonymous off scene industry.

In this revised form the layout will be used as a shunting puzzle/test track. It will be home to an increasingly eclectic collection of locos and wagons spanning the period from the grouping through to privatisation.

Track on the new section is still only loosely placed in position while I work out track spacing.20220511_175817.jpg
One of the decisions made today was that the bridge that I'd started to build for another project can probably be recycled here.
A few of the Railfreight era wagons with a recently converted Hornby Sentinel.
20220511_180651.jpg
20220511_180613.jpg
Road access to the yard via a crossing over the rear siding.
A quick look at an earlier era.
20220511_193145.jpg

Mark F

Western Thunderer
The new turnout for the extension has been cluttering up my workbench for far too long, so I'm making a start on installing it before it gets damaged.
20220801_112821.jpg20220801_121232.jpg20220801_121222.jpg
Over on the new baseboard, a curved backscene was added a few weeks ago and the trackbed is now in position.
20220711_145709.jpg
On the scenic side of things, I've made a start on building a pub that will disguise the fiddle yard exit. I'm planning to clad this in plasticard. The extension to add further depth to the board will alliw a road to run along the front of the layout. A brick wall will replace the current fence, one of the changes needed to allow the layout to depict an earlier era than it has previously.
20220718_165217.jpg

Mark F

Western Thunderer
Fryers Lane has a show to go to in April, there's lots to do seeing as I ripped up most of the track last year.

I built the extension baseboard for the left end of the layout a few months ago, but wasn't entirely happy with the way I'd bodged it together. Today I dismantled and tweaked it to get it square and stronger.
20220928_165115.jpg
As the new board is deeper than the original board, that needed a front extension too. Scenic section now measures 2100 x 600 (was 1435 x 450).

20220928_165600.jpg
At the right end, the ground has been cleared for the pub that will hide the fiddle exit. My third attempt at finding something that looks right for here.
20220928_165550.jpg
At the left, the new board is a bit of a blank canvas. Track on this will be simply 4 straight (ish) lengths representing the ends of the sidings and the truncated through line that now forms the head shunt. Not sure what the scenic treatment for this area will be, probably quite minimal to begin with.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Obviously you've learned from me not to leave progressing the layout until after Christmas. Had a few manic months at the start of this year getting Polsarrett ready...

Still working out how the longer layout will fit on your bike!

Mark F

Western Thunderer
Still working out how the longer layout will fit on your bike!
Not quite on the bike, but it turns out that the vehicle we bought primarily for moving bicycles is ideal for shifting layouts that might have outgrown the car - what a coincidence.

As for starting the build/rebuild early; don't worry, I've not ruled out a last minute reconfiguration of the fiddle yard on the night before the show - that should keep us out of the pub.

Mark F

Western Thunderer
On the subject of pubs, some time ago I bought and assembled a laser cut plywood pub kit. My intention was to clad it in embossed plastic (pet hate - laser kit building kits all seem to have stretcher bond brickwork). Closer inspection identified the windows were a bit chunky, no problem I'll just cut those out and replace with some nice etched windows.
20220806_151026.jpg

Having reached the point where I didn't like the walls or windows, I began to wonder if using the ply building was just making things more difficult; so I used it as a template to replicate it in styrene.
20220919_154458.jpg

Having built one, I thought it looked a bit lonely on its own, so today I've added another. Here's the pub and its neighbour roughly placed on the extended baseboard.
20220930_175956.jpg
I think it will make quite an effective view blocker for the fiddle yard exit.