Fume extract set-up

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
As many of you are aware, I suffer with problems relating to superglue and to a lesser degree, solder fumes. I have been toying with various ideas as to how to deal with these fumes and at last have 'taken the plange' and produced something.

I needed to have the workshop window replaced, so I had them make provision for and fit a 4" extract outlet in the replacement double glazed unit. I then looked for suitable/possible extract fans and came up with a Vent Axia model (?30 at B&Q). Went to the local electrical suppliers to check out/discuss and came away with a British made alternative @ ?8.50 :eek: :eek: and a three metre length of trunking for ?5 - later discovered that B&Q sell the indentical model fan as I bought, for ?15). I then set about designing a suitable 'housing' and have checked various graphic suppliers websites found that the filter sizes used was A3 - so that was the basic dimension, rounded up to 500 wide x 400 high - and ended up with this

Attachments

• extract system 13.12.10.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1487.JPG
    786.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1488.JPG
    711.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1489.JPG
    829 KB · Views: 7

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
good idea where have you put the fan is it in the box or is it mounted in the window, I have an extractor fan ready to use from the old kitchen and was wondering how best to set it up, I think mine wil go above my head.

Ian

S

Simon Dunkley

Mike,

Just to check, but your motor is brushless, isn't it? Otherwise there is a good chance of a spark in the presence of atomised paint fumes, which is highly combustible.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

the fan is a standard extract model, and presumably the same as those installed in similar commercial 'systems' - I did not find any specific reference to brushless motors when I started comparing models/prices etc. Most use will be in conjunction with soldering and gluing.

regards

Mike

28ten

Guv'nor
Sensible advice from Simon about the motors and if in doubt consult an electrician

I have actually just moved my extraction unit so that it is closer to the building bench and I can glue and solder in front of it. Although solder fumes have never caused me problems mek and similar adhesives do make me nauseous so im hoping that moving the unit will help. I need to change the filter and when I do i will take a shot of the particles that have been collected  :eek:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
also following Simon's post, I shall contact the manufacturer tomorrow and check out the motor and let you know the outcome. I shall not be doing any spray painting for  a while - no models to paint and the compressor gave up the ghost while applying the varnish to Budleigh Salterton, luckily there was (more than) enough in the tank to finish off.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
I've now had a reply from Mandrake and they confirm that their fans are not brushless, contacted Vent-Axia and eventually got the same reply. So on to Google and came up with Airtech from Burrowbridge in Somerset, a quick phonecall and the answer was - yes they do. They then sent me a specification sheet and dimensionally, the unit is not that different to the Mandrake unit and moves more air 108m3 as opposed to 85m3 - oh and one other thing, the price £117 (after 30% discount)  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:+VAT as against £8.50 including VAT. Add to this the fact that the compressor has seized up completly,  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: quite an expensive time ahead - so the kit wish list will have to stay a wish list for a bit longer.

regards

Mike

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I have had another thought about this and realised that positive air pressure into a room with ducting taking the spray and vapour out rather than an air extraction system. Advantages tha air could be heated and it wont take much pressure to acheive the desired results, you only need to seal the room whilst you spray and the windows could be opened again afterwards.

Ian

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
No doubt most would have seen/read the review in the latest Gazette regarding the AB500 Extract System. I have contacted the stated suppliers enquiring about the motor and they have replied that as far as they are aware, the motor as fitted is NOT brushless. I have replied asking for the manufacturers comments, as based on comments above, surey, there could be serious claim implications - fit for purpose etc. - if no warnings are given with the equipment.

As and when I get a response, I will follow up with a letter to the Gazette Editor - if necessary.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi CME,

the man came back straight away with this.....

'Yes that is very much the case, hence the filter that is fitted on the expo has a flame retardent layer to stop this happening'

So one must assume that there is a warning notice within the instructions to ensure that the filter has to be replaced with the correct version.

A replacement filter is available ref AB501 @ £5 each (+£4 P&P if ordered direct from Expo) , I assume that it is also 'flame retardant' - I will check and let you know.

I will keep you posted.

regards

Mike

28ten

Guv'nor
This is why I shelled out the extra, as I spray cellulose I wanted to be sure I wasn't about to blow the house up.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
As I will only be using enamel thinners I think I'll chance the experiment and order a couple of these filters. I've called ABC Models at Crewe but their answerphone seems to be on all of the time - left a message to call me.

I still think that a 'clarifying' letter for the Gazette is in order though.

regards

Mike

28ten

Guv'nor
I am fairly sure it will be ok with enamel, but it might not be advisable to spray thinners directly into the unit when cleaning the airbrush.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
I tend to spray the airbrush cleaning fluid into kitchen roll and then use that to give a final wipe to the outside of the airbrush.

regards

Mike