G3 0-4-4T 'Project' based

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Some progress.
A few snaps of the side tanks in situ. Pleasingly, they sit square.
The handrails were fiddly, each end requiring a fairly deep horizontal mount, shaped then bent to the required radius.

The tanks will be cosmetic only. Boiler feed follows the original Project in spirit (no pun intended) by having no axle driven pump. However, substituting a Goodall valve type top up system rather than hand pump renders redundant the need to carry on board water. All in all, a simple 'garden railway' type set up.
The tanks have large access panels cut into the inner sides (in the cab area) to make it easier to stuff away r/c, batteries etc.
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0009.JPG
The tanks need a large bolted angle fitted to their front, lower lip, and these will act as rear locations for two front footplate/ front splasher/cosmetic main frame assemblies either side of the smokebox.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
At the risk of over- egging the attention warranted by a couple of side tanks, here's a view from underneath showing them secured with two bolts each to the support angles along each side.
If nothing else, it should make the tanks much easier to paint and line as individual components, when the time comes, before being finally screwed into place.
IMG_0009.JPG

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
I was just going to thank you for that comment, in a gushing and theatrical sort of way you'll understand, but then read it more carefully!

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
On a roll with the tinwork, the bunker has this afternoon been soldered up and tried for fit. It still needs steps to be soldered in place, but will then be pretty well complete bar lamp irons which will be screwed on after painting.
A removable spirit tank will fit within the bunker, a set up which will require the cab/ cosmetic coal load to be made removable.

Eventually, a wooden floor and seat top will be fitted.

IMG_0008.JPG
A tube will sit in the milled slot visible on the frame cross member to carry spirit forward to the burners from a sump under the bunker.
IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG
If anyone's interested, all the tin work is in NS, and all soft soldering has been carried out with a micro flame.
A less than perfect match of tank corner radius and the capping strip can be seen above the tank handrail. Drat, but I'll live with it this time. Will try harder next time.

mswjr

Western Thunderer
Hi,Jamie,not alot of progress,was going to be in steam by summer this year,but the lining is not good,and i have stripped the paint off,
Then i decided to extend my garage for a future model railway project,and that is taking longer than i thought,
O Yea and i started the guards van build, Quite enjoying that.( tip,do not start too many projects)
Keep those build pics coming . Garry

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
A fairly sustained attack on the platework has resulted in good progress with the main components, at least to the point where they all fit together and can be put aside for a while.
A 'second fix' to build in more detail will be required later, but the basics are there, and it's time to finish off the steamy bits.

These sub components, most of which are entirely cosmetic, will all screw into place on final assembly.

(Sorry, the cab looks rather scruffy. )
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG

Cobbled together.

IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0009.JPG

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
The way you've split the body into separate components is interesting. I would have just everything on a one-piece footplate without considering any alternative. Until now.
Lovely workmanship.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Having put the platework to one side, a nagging idea took hold that I really should have dealt with steps on the tank front faces, and the rather large brackets beneath.
These brackets were rivetted to the tanks and bolted, with nut and locknut, to the front running board. Not only are they distinctive, on the model they will act to secure the rear of each splasher/ running board assembly so should really have been fitted.
IMG_0008.JPG
Then, couldn't resist this last chance for a while to take a snap on its wheels.
IMG_0010.JPG