Gadgie’s workbench (EM)

BR standard brake vans New

Gadgie

Western Thunderer
Regarding the Airfix brakevan in post #71 above, I note that you’ve shaved off the handrails and replaced the roof with a thinner plastikard one. Will you be glazing it?
Tim T
That is the plan. Following in the footsteps of Geoff Kent in vol 3 of The 4mm Wagon, I’ve filed a rebate in the back of the inner ends leaving a window bar and frame thickness of about 0.7 mm. It would have been nice to go a bit further, but the ends were becoming a bit fragile, and I decided to stop there. I’ll add glazing after paint, and probably glaze the duckets with Kristal Klear.

IMG_2735.jpeg

I’ve had a marathon session to fit handrails today. This one is going to be one of the early lots, with two part vertical handrails and horizontal end handrails that fit in between the two parts. These were awkward to fit and looked odd, because the handrails slanted inwards towards the ends. Eventually I found evidence that these handrails were actually kinked to run parallel to the concrete end weights, some from the photo collection of preserved vans on WT, and more of from this fabulous collection of photos and recollections on Flickr.

The rest of the van is almost ready for paint. Looking at these photos though, I realise I need to add the door safety rails.

IMG_2738.jpeg
IMG_2732.jpeg

Richard

Gadgie

Western Thunderer
It is nearly finished now. The roof is just perched on top for the time being. Once the transfers (Modelmaster) are dry I’ll apply some weathering, possibly based on this photo.

IMG_2745.jpeg

The glazing behind the inner ends was tricky to cut to the right size and fit. Eventually I realised it would be much easier to cut and fit three pieces, one behind each window, and so it proved. As mentioned above, the duckets were glazed with Krystal Kleer, much easier than faffing with small pieces of clear styrene sheet.

IMG_2746.jpeg

Now I need to get to a similar stage with this one.

IMG_2747.jpeg

Oh, and then there is this one too!

IMG_2748.jpeg

Richard

(Edited to correct autocorrect, which changed duckets to Dickey’s …:confused:)