Giles' misc. Work bench.

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Ah... I put it in Holy War's position, which was hust forward of the spring...... I can move it at next boiler off....

8930B © PGH.jpg

As far as I can tell the position of the balance pipe ahead of the spring on HOLY WAR seems to be a one-off, and all other photos of the small quarry Hunslets I can find with the balance pipe have it slightly further back behind the spring as the drawing. However some of the Dinorwic locos didn't have the balance pipe. I would imagine that as these locos were sometimes dismantled to move them to different parts of the quarry or down to the workshops the pipe may have been lost or mislaid in the process and the tank outlets covered with a blanking plate.

David B

Western Thunderer
Perfect timing with the pressure gauges Giles - thank you! I’m just finishing a new cab for my 16mm battery r/c Merddin Emrys and was wondering how best to represent the various gauges.

IMG_0980.jpeg
Until you started this fabulous thread, I had no intention of adding any smoke units…….now I’m trying to work out whether I can fit twin misting units as well - thank you for the inspiration!

David

Giles

Western Thunderer
Incidentally, for normal line running speeds, my instinct says that my 1k ohm resistor on the exciter might be too restrictive, and you would be better with a higher voltage - but have a play.......

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Perfect timing with the pressure gauges Giles - thank you! I’m just finishing a new cab for my 16mm battery r/c Merddin Emrys and was wondering how best to represent the various gauges.

View attachment 207694
Until you started this fabulous thread, I had no intention of adding any smoke units…….now I’m trying to work out whether I can fit twin misting units as well - thank you for the inspiration!

David
David,

That‘s a very nice representation of Merddin there; could you share more of it with us?

Nigel

David B

Western Thunderer
Hi Nigel - thanks for the kind comment. I’m enjoying Giles’s thread far too much to disrupt it any further, so I’ll try to cobble together some photos and other details on a separate thread. I definitely need a Quarry Hunslet of my own now - Britomart is one good looking little loco and I hadn’t realised how good the Slaters kit is until seeing the photos above - thanks again Giles!

David

Giles

Western Thunderer
I've printed out a wooden side tipper - blown up and adjusted from the 7mm version - and a big beast it is! Of course the Hunslet is a very small loco.... however, I shall alter the hornblocks so the axles are higher, and slightly , lower the overall ride hight. It tips and rights itself very well (there is a strip of lead under the far side). I've ordered some wheels from Peter Binnie, and I'll see how it looks. A pair of these will be sufficient!

Giles

Western Thunderer
One wagon complete - using Peter Binnie wheels (remember Colin 'Bodger' Binnie and his Persephone?) And extremely good wheels they are....
A second wagon is in the printing as we speak. The tipper body absolutely maxes out my little Mars 2 Pro! I still have a little more weathering to do on the Hunslet, and I've drawn up a firing shovel, as otherwise they seem to be made of unobtainium.