Greetings from Gosforth East

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Hello and greetings from Gosforth!

Thanks for letting me join. I'm looking forward to being part of this community.

I've been playing with, tinkering with and making model trains since I was very young with mixed results that have hopefully got less mixed over the years.

Due to the nature of my life/work since I graduated from university a decade ago I've lived in a bonkers combination of rented flats, hotel rooms and more latterly a dooer upper DIY disaster of a house which has meant layouts are a thing that for now get thought about but no more than that. But where layouts are wishful thinking I have over the years made a fair few models of Locomotives and rolling stock that are all waiting patiently wrapped in tissue paper stored safely in a cupboard.

My passion is crafting things from scratch and I get great pleasure and a fantastic sense of calm from working with materials such as card, wood and metals. Working in the cutting edge but stressful robotics sector it gives a fantastic sense of well-being to just make something by hand from simple materials.

I realise I should have said sooner.... I've recently graduated into 4mm EM gauge.... Growing up in the 90s the trains of the day did absolutely nothing to inspire so instead I make models of the Victorian GER Locomotives and rolling stock.... Although my interests are very fixed geographically they can wander as far as exact time period....

So I'm sorry for the waffle but I have attached ( I hope) pictures of my latest project... This is my first full scratch built locomotive I've always built bits or parts of but this year I thought what the hell and jumped in properly in the deep end... It's a GER 73 class built by Sam Johnson (him of midland fame) in 1870 from parts of various Sharp Stewart 1846 singles .... Only 2 ever built so a rare bird.... In the eyes of the modelling world I've no idea how good the modelling is or not ..... And I know I've got a lot of work still to do .... But I don't really care.... I've loved every minute of building it so far and I hope you all like it....

Sorry for the waffle

HerbieIMG_20221221_181502307.jpg

IMG_20221221_181625606.jpg

IMG_20221221_181519572.jpgIMG_20221221_181510857.jpgIMG_20221221_181600164_HDR.jpg

AJC

Western Thunderer
Herbie, welcome, and wow! It’s always nice to see something different, and Johnson-era GER certainly qualifies. Nice to see another EM modeller here too. How’s this one powered?

Adam

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Hi Adam,

Yeah I always found this era of locomotive history fascinating particularly machines like this that got rebuilt time and time again so that they became rather unique.... The 1880s and 1890s was a great period in the GER history where lots of old non standard types with multiple rebuilds rubbed shoulder to shoulder with the new standard types introduced by Worsdell and Holden .... Must have been a nightmare for the running department.... Great fun for the loco builder!

It was my new years resloution to move to EM in 2022 and I did it mainly for the track standards.... But I found added benefits like wider frames allowing me to fit more motor in.... And the locos were steadier on the track given the wider gauge in relation to body with....

Speaking of motors...... Initial trials with the loco had a 1015 motor in the firebox (skins off rice pudding spring to mind). So now there is a massive coreless motor in the tender.... Spur gearbox down to a layshaft under the tender, uj between loco and tender and a conventional worm gearbox between that and the driving axel.... So the driving wheels drive and the fuel is in the tender

IMG_20221222_070446410_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221222_070210408.jpg

Hopefully the pics make sense? Really need to tidy up the wiring... Bit heath Robinson but it works

George (Herbie)*

* Must have been late in the evening yesterday as I only typed Herbie not George as well.... 'stupid boy'!

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Thanks so much!

Hoping with being off work from tomorrow until new year I might make some more progress...

Currently detailing the tender then it's back to the loco for detailing and finishing

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Thanks gents, I appreciate the encouragement

It couldn't have come at a better time as tonight I tried fitting the tender body to the tender chassis by it's fixings for the first time in a while and found that the frames I made for it were warped.... In taking them apart I've also found that the motor mounting arrangement had wrecked the fixing screws due to what I believe is off center loading and vibration......

IMG_20221222_211338711.jpg

So back to a pile of bits whilst I figure out a refinement or two to the design....

I promise to keep you posted, as requested with both the successes and failures... But hopefully not to many of the latter