Headstocks on Shoc Vans

Hi Guys :wave:

I have recently dusted off an old project - a part-built Slaters Shoc-Van

I had built the majority of it and then the project stalled whilst I decided which coupling system to use - I have since decided on Winterleys.

So, I have the bodywork completed and the chassis almost so.

The van is the four shoe Morton type - I have yet to add the brake tie-bars - strangely on the box lid the phot is of an eight shoe clasp type vehicle/model :scratch:

I also recently purchased an eight shoe clasp version Shoc-Van kit from JLTRT.

Both models have their strengths and both have their weaknesses - maybe more on that latter (on the workshop thread/front).

I had roughly started to paint/weather the bodies ready to accept the transfers when I clocked a note on the additional instruction sheet from Slaters which stated that there were two bufferbeams/headstocks for the kit and the longer type should be used for such, when I put the chassis together - a few years back - I had used the shorter version :scratch: :scratch: :headbang: :vista: :shit:

So I decided to have a look on Mr Bartlett's site.

It appears that the eight shoe vans have a headstock which is level with the van's sides and the four shoe versions seem to have headstocks that are inboard of the van's body (this seems the same for the GW/WR vans too) :scratch: This would correspond with my two models (and if correct would save me having to modify the Slaters chassis :thumbs:)

I used the brown moulded - shorter - headstocks which just happens to be the same colour as the chassis mouldings etc....it also means that the support brackets/'gusset brackets' fit better to these headstocks than they would to the longer versions.. :scratch:

Therefore I wonder if the Slaters note referred to the model on the box lid, i.e. the eight shoes version.

Any thoughts/comments would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

CME :wave:

N.B

B851313 looks to be a very similar vehicle to the Slaters kit the main difference being that it is planked and the model is plysided.

Hi all :wave:

After having another look at Paul Barlett's site :bowdown: :thumbs: I believe that the headstocks/bufferbeams for the Slaters model/chassis should be the longer type :headbang: :headbang:

In the phots of the prototype it is very challenging to ascertain the size of the headstocks from certain angles - due, no doubt, to the unique nature of the chassis' construction - so at one end the headstocks look to be the short type (usually closest to the camera) and at the other end they look to be longer and indeed level with the van's sides (furthest from the camera).

As I have already added all of the headstock detail, it will be nigh on impossible to remove such neatly and replace the headstocks in their entirity :headbang: :headbang: :shit:

The only way to remedy such is to add off cuts of the - spare - headstocks to the existing headstock's ends......

I have also noted that Slaters have failed to provide spring bump stops (just moulded pips) so I hope to address that too, along with the brake tie-bars etc...

I will Post some phots - in due course - on the Down Ampney workshop thread....

28ten

Guv'nor
I noticed this some time ago when I looked at the Slaters vs JLTRT  :scratch: Are your sides a different height as well?

28ten said:
I noticed this some time ago when I looked at the Slaters vs JLTRT  :scratch: Are your sides a different height as well?

Hi Cynric :wave:

Yes, there are some size/dimension variations between the two.

The chassis details on the Slaters are much finer than those on the JLTRT chassis....

Cheers,