Hello All, Nice Forum You Have Here

David Taylor

Western Thunderer
Hi,

I've been browsing around the forum and see quite a few names and avatars I recognise from RMWeb.

I'd like to join in so I'd better introduce myself so my postings don't appear from nowhere.

I build (very slowly) models of New South Wales trains in 7mm/FS and I've been a member of the SSMRS for a bit over a year and have a bunch of bits waiting for my current projects to finish.

I also have a 5" gauge 0-4-0 live steamer, with a 2-6-0 as a long term project.

Regards,
David Taylor.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Welcome David. Good to see another 7mm modeller here. You're not alone either on the New South Wales scene, as at least another modeller here is very passionate about it.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I build (very slowly) models of New South Wales trains in 7mm/FS.

I also have a 5" gauge 0-4-0 live steamer, with a 2-6-0 as a long term project.

Hello and welcome... where are the pictures? we must have piccies!

regards, Graham Beare

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi David

Nice to have you here. I followed your builds on RMWeb, and look forward to your postings on the premier 7mm site:thumbs:

Richard

ScottW

Western Thunderer
Hi David, and welcome.

You will find a couple of S-Scale modellers here if you ever feel like dipping your toe in. ;)

Regards,

Scott

S

Simon Dunkley

Mind you, if you dip your toe in, we may come along and drag you in as the water is lovely - as you can only find out by jumping in!

Welcome, David.

S

SteveO

Hello! I'd love to see pics of your live steam loco. Me and my Mini Me enjoy a good day out on those. Toot toot!

David Taylor

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Here are some pictures of the live steamer, with the underframe of the tender for the 2-6-0 included in one. I'm also making a freelance tender for the 0-4-0 but don't have photos of that yet. For those interested the 0-4-0 is a "Blowfly" designed by Barry Potter as a beginner's loco and its design and construction was serialised in the Australian Model Engineer magazine a long time ago. It's a popular design in Australia. I was lucky enough to get most of the loco in bits, after the previous owner had taken it apart and never put it back together. I just had to do wheels/axles/rods/valve gear and figure out where all the pipes went to get it going again, with a bit of help from Mr Potter who lives in the same town as me, and built it in the first place.

I'll make a 7mm workshop thread on the appropriate forum to post photos of work in progress.

Workshop005S.jpgWorkshop011S.jpg

Regards,
David.

David Taylor

Western Thunderer
Yorkshire Dave, where were you living when you modelled NSW HO? You must have looked a bit weird if it was in England!

Steve, thanks. It does seem members here are more on the S scale, S7, 1/32, etc side of life. I don't have a problem with people using Peco streamline track and out-of-the-box stock, but it doesn't interest me. I'm so tempted to have a go at proper scale 1/32 but I have too much going on as it is.

I'm worried that S scale is a bit small, but that's a question of my ability rather than the scale! I think S scale will be my "build it and run it" scale and 7mm my "build it the best I can" scale. But I've always wanted to do S scale after seeing a chapter about it in a book my brother bought me when I was young. It covered all scales/gauges from Z - 15" (plus Arther Sherwoods tiny live steam) and the S scale chapter really stood out - a beautifully made loco chassis on clean looking track, all scratchbuilt. "That's what I want to do" I thought. About 25 years ago!

Regards,
David.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
David

I was in the UK when I started modelling NSWGR. I just fancied something different and conjured up a small shunting layout named Challi Bore after reading the Arthur Upfield 'Bony' novels.

Here are some pictures (complete with Holden ute and the soil is slightly more red in reality. The layout never had a backscene so I used a piece of plywood to hide the mess behind when taking photographs.

I still have a C30T 4-6-0 to build in HO to accompany my Austrains C36.

Challi Bore 01.jpg
Challi Bore 02.jpg