Hello from Bob

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Just a short introduction! Many may already know me (just as many probably don't) however my prime interest is coaching stock - specifically Mark 1 stock and it's derivitives (I spent most of the 1970s and my teenage yoof ,and for a punishment several years after, working for BREL and BR's M&EE department and later one of the then new fangled TOC's) and I was drawn to the number of rolling stock threads on this here forum. I have access to a fair bit of rolling stock technical info so where possible, I'm hoping I can at least contribute something to the coaching stock threads herein (I'm no expurt but I feel it's only right to share)... A lot of my (hobby) work has been for other folk however It's time I was getting some done for myself (providing I don't spend too much time on forums)!

Anyway, I said it would be short..ish so that's it, and thanks to the owner for the membership approval.

While I remember, 4mm scale is my preference however I can't seem to avoid scales from 7mm (it's and age and eyesight thing) to 1/11th..ish (5" gauge but that's another story).

Bob.R

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Bob, you were there.... you helped to maintain Blue and Grey stock, surely that justifies the use of Blue in your threads.

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Ah well you see I was doing my best to avoid it, starting when the very last maroon was being obliterated and everything that stood still got painted BR Blue.....

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
I think that you are safe with this post... according to Jordan you had to have been there to understand the "Blue" thing.... and by his own admission Bob had first hand experience of Blue paint being splashed around.

Being splashed around - that's an understatement! The steel box on a trolley that was carted round the works distributing folks wages round the pay points got painted BR Blue...

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Being splashed around - that's an understatement! The steel box on a trolley that was carted round the works distributing folks wages round the pay points got painted BR Blue...

Did it have double arrows and its own running number? :D

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Being splashed around - that's an understatement!
Well, I did think I was being generous. The GWS took Cookham Manor into SDN for weighing in 1976 and I was invited to accompany the Traction Inspector for the journey at dawn. Later that day we were shown around parts of the works and we came across some C&W staff who were using yardbrooms as paint brushes!

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Welcome Bob,

I too have to confess to having worked previously in both BR M&EE and the BREL works guise! Blue 47's with grey roofs and large logos were my staple diet at Stratford shed. Sadly it's now consigned to the history books, having made way for the Olympic park.

Colin