Hello!

Joe-lo

Hi folks

My name is Joe and my modelling preferences are post steam/pre-tops BR. I'm new to the forum and although not that new to 7mm, I'm making the conscious choice to make a start. Currently I have a 4mm exhibition layout which I do enjoy working on and operating, I am being more and more attracted to 7mm modelling, not least because of my ageing eyesight!

I've built a few 7mm wagon kits (Parkside) which I found great to build - have built a stack in 4mm. Over the past couple of years I've owned (twice!) a Big Big Train Hymek along with the PRMRP conversion kit bit never got further than looking at the bits!

So I've decided to make a start on a 7mm project, I have 14ft to play with, 15 at a push and I envisage a small parcels depot with a small goods yard, as wagons and NPCCS vehicles are what I enjoy modelling. I will set my proposed layout in the North West allowing me to run Class 03, 24/25 & 129 as the motive power. Most probably I'll use C&L trackwork and points, however I'll need to look into custom building points to suit the space I have available.

At the moment I have zero 7mm stock so I'll will be relinquishing my 4mm layout and stock to fund the move to 7mm. Im currently hunting down an 03 DJH kit (or Bachmann RTR) and I'll be ordering an Ian Kirk Stanier 50ft full brake kit as a start.

No doubt over the next few months/years I'll be pestering you all with questions!

Best regards

Joe

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Hi Joe :) .

The answers can be easy, posting the questions is the awkward bit. Just remember that pikkies go down well.

regards, Graham

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Welcome Joe

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Shall follow your builds with interest.

Very helpful bunch on here.

Regards

Dave

Joe-lo

Thanks for the warm welcome folks, it'll be a while before anything major happens, however I'm just about to order the Stanier BG,wheels, buffers and bearings from Invertrain (no connection!)

I've been reading up on Kirk kits and they appear to need some fettling to get them to look right. Doesn't particularly bother me as I'm used to building Parkside 4mm (& 7mm) kits.

I'll start a thread when I start on my first kit

Railwaymaniac

Western Thunderer
Welcome in, Joe

And happy modelling to you ... Rumour has it that the Kirk kits are very good indeed when finished properly, but need a lot more fettling than Parkside kits. Have fun!

Ian

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I really must find some time to try and finish the Kirk LMS coach kit I started umpteen years ago…

Welcome aboard Joe! Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your 7mm endeavours - and why not share some of your 4mm stuff too? We're a broad church with plenty of interests in all sizes and scales.

Joe-lo

Thanks again folks

I really must find some time to try and finish the Kirk LMS coach kit I started umpteen years ago…

Welcome aboard Joe! Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your 7mm endeavours - and why not share some of your 4mm stuff too? We're a broad church with plenty of interests in all sizes and scales.

I've actually been looking at a the Slaters SR BY Van instead of the Kirk kit, both work out around the same cost, maybe this long wheelbase vehicle will be better at testing out the radii on my proposed layout than a bogie vehicle? However I do enjoy a challenge and the Kirk kit will provide that....

As requested, here is a link to my 4mm layout. Rockvilla Goods ,there have been a number of improvements to the scenics since these photo's were taken, and the layout is due to appear in BRM in the coming year. I had planned and started an extension to the layout, and planned to change location to South East London but I'm becoming more and more disillusioned with 4mm.