7mm Industrial Rocket - or Mineral

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I know that at least one WT member has built one of the 7mm cast brass kits of Rocket made by Sanspareil. I bought a kit at Telford in 2011 and it has had a few bits prepared over the years while collecting information to modify it from original condition as provided for in the kit to its final operating condition on the Brampton Railway. Before it was sold by the Liverpool & Manchester Railway the cylinders were lowered to near horizontal, a smokebox and front buffer beam were added, and a more 'modern' tender provided. The kit includes everything including wheels, motor and gearbox. The wheels were made by Slaters with scale tyres, very convenient as this one is being built in S7. I have added an S7 driving axle and will need to add washers to keep it centred. The rear face of the wheels is detailed, a pity they were made for finescale as the prototypical dished inner face of the spokes has not been included but shouldn't be too noticeable. One benefit of adding the smokebox is that access to the motor can be provided, I wasn't happy for the mechanism to be trapped in the boiler. I am planning to use a different motor and gears.

So far I have followed the instructions. After this I will be making things up as I go.
rock1.jpg
rock2.jpg

This is the 'Crewe Drawing' showing pretty much what I am aiming to build.
rocket dwg.jpg

Overseer

Western Thunderer
No more progress yet but unearthed the tender I made back in the 90s when I was planning to scratchbuild the loco as well. It is powered, the motor dates it. I think I will take the motor out and replace the wheels with the smaller ones from the kit, but not sure yet.

rockt1.jpg
rockt2.jpg
rockt4.jpg
rockt5.jpg

Also dug out one of the white metal kit chaldron wagons bought from Home of O Gauge back when I lived in Clapham South. I have another unstarted and this one part assembled. I will adjust it to lower it a bit and space the sole bars the correct distance apart. I think the solebars are too long as well. Some consultation of John Elliott's 'The Chaldrons' book is required.
rockt3.jpg