7mm Instant Background

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
As the current Mk1 build reaches a conclusion, the time comes for "official" photos.

I do have a nice big light tent, and for the Collett build I took their photos on a black background. This was okay, but it still felt wrong. Nice for portfolio shots, but lacking a certain something.

You often see models posed on a nicely scenic length of track, essentially a short bit of embankment. I still want something like this, but the issue right now is the background. I need a large background to avoid doing too much photoshoppery to remove extraneous stuff that happens to be in the background. I also didn't have a lot of time spare to create a lovely bit of overgrown scenery.

As a quick way to create a backdrop, I thought about making a brick wall. It needed to be long enough to allow front three-quarters shots of coaches without revealing the "studio" behind. It also needed to be high enough that low level shots didn't reveal the ceiling.

With the need for a background imminent once the weathering of the current build was complete, I did a bit of research over at Scalescenes. I had in mind a wall, with arched windows, like many railway or factory workshops of yore. I spent the massive amount of £3.98 on a set of PDFs, and then spent a happy childlike hour or two printing out brick wall and window sheets, cutting out 24 window apertures and sticking anything and everything to a couple of large sheets of scrap card. I love this on-the-fly kind of freeform modelling. No plans, no rules, just an idea and some materials.

The result is a bit rough and ready, but I can refine it in time. The beauty of the Scalescenes system is I can print out as many sheets as I need, and modify if I need to. For something I spent a maximum of three hours on, I'm happy.

IMG_7166.jpg

The darker section on the right is because the yellow toner ran out mid-print, and the new cartridge made a difference to the overall colour.

IMG_7167.jpg

Again, some of the window frames suffered from the dying yellow toner, but these are essentially just stuck to the back of the "wall". Joins in the brick paper need more thought and care, too.

IMG_7177.jpg

Here's the "set". A somewhat unorthodox use for a crocodile clip lead, but it works. For a proper shoot, I'd set things up more carefully, but this was a proof of concept. I need to fill in the gap behind the track, and set the lighting up more carefully, but not bad for a few hours' work.

IMG_7174.jpg

The idea is to provide a "we've dragged it out of the paintshop for the official photographer" look, and I think it works.

IMG_7170.jpg

Something a little better than a plain backdrop, at least.

Now, on with that weathering!

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Before you know it, if your not careful there will be a proper grubby ground surface and group of blokes in trilbys. The bloke in the flat hat will be wearing bicycle clips.
:)

AndyB

Western Thunderer
Heather,
for that authentic look - if you want the official 'works' photo, then they should be against a plain background - well, OK, a retouched one....
First choose your weather - it could be sunny with lots of reflections
DY53-530.gif

or it could be a wet day, and the roof is still damp
DY54-112.gif
Then, having taken your picture, decide how consistent your re-touching will be. On the first, some of the area between the underframe trusses has been 'whitened' (I'm sure you can correct me on the correct terminology), but on the second the background can still be seen all the way across. It is also noticable around the buffer / bogie area on the right hand side of each picture.

Andy

alcazar

I like that Heather.
I would love to model something like what is behind the loco in this shot:
Steam001-small_zps482a221b.jpg

Doncaster Works 1962, taken by Dave Murray. I was aged ten, standing next to Dave when he took it. My father was deputy head at dave's school and they had bi-yearly visits to the sheds and Plant at Doncaster, ostensibly to encourage the lads to go to work for BR. I was lucky to go a few times.

Neil

Western Thunderer
I was rather taken by today's 'Eyewitness' centre spread in the Guardian. Though it's of the Red Road flats in Glasgow, it would make a rather good generic urban decay backscene. With some editing out of the pharmacy sign on the left side it could be pressed into worldwide service. I'm tempted to knock up something Soviet Bloc for this pair of recent purchases from Poundland.

back in the ussr.jpg

Do svidaniya tovarishchi.

I was rather taken by today's 'Eyewitness' centre spread in the Guardian. Though it's of the Red Road flats in Glasgow, it would make a rather good generic urban decay backscene. With some editing out of the pharmacy sign on the left side it could be pressed into worldwide service. I'm tempted to knock up something Soviet Bloc for this pair of recent purchases from Poundland.

View attachment 26740

Hi Neil
Agreed! But at first glance, I thought it was an elevation of one of the (new) mass housing blocks of flats in Hong Kong!

Regards

Chris

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Needing a break from metal bashing, I decided to upgrade the backdrop idea.

I spent a happy hour or two tracking down Scalescenes PDFs that had mysteriously been deleted from every disk I own, including backups, then fighting a recalcitrant printer, and finally getting covered in glue. I think the result is much better, with the printed sheets stuck onto foam board, which adds that little bit of extra dimensionality to what is essentially a simple backdrop.

IMG_7480.jpg

I'll make one more eventually. Meanwhile, back to the metal bashing!

Western Thunderer

View attachment 26740

Ive seen these vehicles in poundland too :thumbs:

Steve :cool: