michael mott

Western Thunderer
hiding from the news and weather,
Yes working on the models works wonders for our minds. Just spent a fair bit of time speed reading through this entire thread. I will have to go back in time some more to familiarize my time well spent on the back of dad's bicycle crossing London in 1951. To get back into the spirit of rationing. I think those tins of powdered milk could easily double up as some sort of fuel tanks.

Michael

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Yes working on the models works wonders for our minds. Just spent a fair bit of time speed reading through this entire thread. I will have to go back in time some more to familiarize my time well spent on the back of dad's bicycle crossing London in 1951. To get back into the spirit of rationing. I think those tins of powdered milk could easily double up as some sort of fuel tanks.

Michael
Hello @michael mott
Thank you. Escapism is key, for me. I hope my waffle wasn’t too painful for you :)

I’ve spent many a happy hour establishing a rationale for the layout - and it’s people. But it’s all research; I’m a West Country boy (although my love for London is very strong.) One day, I’ll possibly start a layout thread For Watkins Wharf.

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Well that being said, and I living not much more than a stones throw from the GWR main line just 5 miles down from the bear's home. the waft and weave of the fumes from such kings and castles I a bit west as they say.

Michael
Further west, for me. In Cornwall, on the banks of the Tamar, served by one of the few branches left in this part of the world. Surrounded by industrial history, and the marks left by the ingenuity - and effort - of those lost to memory. Everything’s a trek, from here :)

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Give me clearance, Clarence

3 hours and counting. Less than the proverbial fag paper clearance on the piston rod/crankpin nut. The nut has already been filed down to half thickness. I think we’ll have to take some meat off the coupling rod end, and the crankpin bearing too. We've already shifted the valve gland assemblies outboard by 0.5mm… We thought that was the end of our worries, but we forgot about the piston rod diameter… Fun times…. And rust, despite the latex layering….
FB550775-88BD-4671-ABFD-453934EC2CAC.jpeg

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Change Ends
90 minutes of back and forth sees daylight between rod and crankpin. I took the front of the coupling rod boss off yesterday and opened it out to take the reversed crankpin nut.
AF13054A-6F52-414C-A960-17DEE784B02D.jpeg
I also shortened the crankpin bearing to a tad over 12 thou, by drilling a hole in a suitable thickness of NS and filing until almost flush. Everything was reassembled, and, once the crankpin nut was tightened, I filed the crankpin down flush.
7E0FE018-FD51-4E8D-B0CD-10B57243AA78.jpeg
FE219099-6072-4317-AFC4-3DBB10A62FBD.jpeg
Little things; moments of happiness.

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Stop Motion

I’ve not been feeling it of late; job worries (that supposed #brexitdividend is threatening to render me unemployed). But having spent the morning packaging EBay sales (#everythingisconnected) I managed some time on the workbench. Too wit; adding the motion brackets.
3070D693-A878-479E-9A57-9C6160AF5874.jpeg
BE4692BE-E31F-47DD-9CA4-89522087F9CF.jpeg
1518AE17-24A3-46D9-A93C-1B5B72B446E6.jpeg
I made a ‘dry’ run using some double-sided sticky tape to hold the bracket against the frame (you can see it in the above shot) to ensure that there was clearance for the connecting rods.

Fiddly AF. The RSU helped. As did one of those aluminium hair grips, and some Blu Tac.

In hindsight (and I realised this way back when…), I should have made the wheels demountable, as solder paint has a way of spattering itself everywhere, and there’s a fair dollop of steel in these areas… But I’ve cleaned it up, and I’ll keep an eye out….

The last pic shows the cylinder assembly test fitted. The bars are overlong, but that’s the least of my worries. Next is the return crank on the rear axle (I’ve left the crankpin overlong to enable me to thread the crank).
AA04B20F-C0F9-46C4-825D-3E1FE42E6366.jpeg

Cheers

Jan

jonte

Western Thunderer
Doffs cap and stands back in amazement ;)

I’d be over the proverbial moon, Jan, to reach this far with a kit (a very good one, of course!); the fact that this wonderful creation was produced on the kitchen table (if you would forgive me for being so blunt) like those in my ‘Modellers’ of Yesteryear, leaves me agog, my friend.

I would be delighted one day to emulate, but I don’t mind saying that I doubt I ever shall. True modelling.

Keep it going, Jan, and fingers crossed for a fortuitous outcome on the ‘work’ front.

Cheers for now but keep the updates coming.

Jon

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Doffs cap and stands back in amazement ;)

I’d be over the proverbial moon, Jan, to reach this far with a kit (a very good one, of course!); the fact that this wonderful creation was produced on the kitchen table (if you would forgive me for being so blunt) like those in my ‘Modellers’ of Yesteryear, leaves me agog, my friend.

I would be delighted one day to emulate, but I don’t mind saying that I doubt I ever shall. True modelling.

Keep it going, Jan, and fingers crossed for a fortuitous outcome on the ‘work’ front.

Cheers for now but keep the updates coming.

Jon
Hello Jon
That’s very kind of you. Truth be told, despite being vegetarian, there’s more hamfistedness in here than you’d find at a butchers boxing bout. But it serves… I daresay someone will produce an all-singing-all-dancing kit any day now… As to the other stuff; thanks for your kindness. Maybe it’s not for these boards, but I can’t lift a file or soldering iron without it being in my mind. Ho hum… onwards and sideways…

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Momentary
Yesterday, in a snatched hour, listening to Argyle fail miserably at home to clinch a playoff place, I did something useful, and added the the die block brackets to the motion brackets. I know they’re oversize (although not by much… ). The pin is overlong at the moment; I need to fettle the curve of the expansion link next (doing this again as I type…), and that sits in the yoke of the radius rod, and so I’m not cutting until I know I have enough length…
8C3455F1-8A88-4E83-A8F0-8375F0618BD7.jpeg
C930388A-C07F-4CEE-BB31-B274AD9E92BE.jpeg

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I’m terrified of Walscherts, so I doff my cap to you doing this from scratch! All that scope for clearance issues…

Adam
Hi @AJC Adam
Thank you; it’s a peculiar madness - I’ve wanted a Y4 for years, and got tired of waiting for Karlgarin to make good their promise… but the temptation to wrap this thing in skirts a la the Y6 is very strong!

Today, I’ve been cutting out the expansion links. Trial fitting (a real pain) identifies I have the expansion block bracket about 0.75 mm too high.. the radius rod should be horizontal… so I’ll have to move it down.. I’m considering making the motion ‘off site’ and using the soldering of the expansion link bracket as a final anchor for all that knitting….
3C3EBE64-D68A-4AC6-BC78-4DE7082C9201.jpeg
0F327C45-81A4-4E6F-9037-BB9CF4E1A93A.jpeg
D221E813-7AB2-4AF3-A673-8AA2FB0EDF58.jpeg
Oh for some micro-needle files…

Thanks again

Cheers

Jan

1/211 PALVAN

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Resurrection Shuffle
A delve back into the Jobs To Be Done. Reworking a Ks Palvan. The assembly transitioned from epoxy to solder, and the roof was revamped, via Araldite and arm wrestling. I tried curving the roof (30 thou) by heating it in boiling water, to little effect. So it was back to old school persuasion. I’ve put in a stretcher between the ends to stop the roof sagging. At times like these, the lack of a floor is a bonus… 1mm angle for the stretcher bars..

67E664A3-C242-4859-A5E1-5DC57BC7696B.jpeg

… I’m a heavy user of cocktail sticks…

Cheers

Jan