7mm Lionheart 74xx Pannier + Zimo Soundcard

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
The pannier arrived late this morning and I just had time to run it up and down the yard before lunch - very impressed. So after lunch, I re-addressed the chip - or so I thought - nothing and after a long phone conversation with DCC Supplies (where I purchased my Digitrax system) I managed to get it moving again - and some - I seem to have somehow corrupted the speed CV as when I now turn the power on, the loco hurtles down the track, leaving Mallard behind:headbang::headbang::headbang:

So as it was by now getting late in the afternoon, I decided to just take the attached photos and have another go at re-programming the chip tomorrow - we'll see
.IMG_2984.JPGIMG_2985.JPGIMG_2986.JPGIMG_2987.JPGIMG_2988.JPGIMG_2989.JPGIMG_2990.JPGIMG_2991.JPGIMG_2992.JPGIMG_2993.JPG

cheers

Mike

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Mike,

A couple of quick thoughts to get you going.
1. Download the Zimo manual and do whatever it says to re-set the chip just in case you've corrupted it; I doubt you have, because:
2. The problem you describe often relates to 'iffy' pickups. Running the loco in on a rolling road will likely solve the problem, allowing the pickups to bed in. It'll also improve the running generally.

My dad has one of these models an I have to say it's a stellar performer on all counts. Not cheap, but still extraordinary value for money...

Steph
p.s. There is a third option, but you'll like that one less...

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

many thanks for the tips. I have already downloaded the Zimo manual for the MX695 that I fitted to the Heljan 33, but I'm not sure which chip is in the pannier. My concern is that if I re-set it, will it be back to the Lionheart settings (I hope) or to the Zimo 'factory' ones? I will contact Richard Webster at Lionheart tomorrow before I do anything else, just to be on the safe side.

I intended to take it to the club tomorrow night and give it a good run, especially to get everything bedded in.

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
panic over chaps - a call to Richard Webster, who gave me the number of his 'Zimo sound man' - another call, problem discussed, suggestion made - reset CV2 - and the rest as they say is history - loco running as sweet as a nut and all ready for a good running in session at the Club this evening.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

cheers

Mike

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
So what was wrong with it?

Or do these CV's just mysteriously rest themselves?

It's unfortunately just 'one of those things' that can happen (as this shows), but it's rare in my experience. I and others recommend that a full re-set be performed after any DCC installation and before programming. The issue relates to the ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) sensitivity and general memory stability of the decoders. There are ways to avoid problems; putting locos on the track before powering the track is a good one.

The need for the re-set before programming is related to decoder handling and also whether the decoder has been used by the manufacturer for testing. In the case of the Lionheart Panniers the packaging (expanded polystyrene) doesn't help too much either, it can generate formidable static charges.

I'll also add that I've never had a programmed loco suffer the need for a hard reset, so it's not anything to worry about really.

Steph

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

many thanks for the explanation - I'm just happily satisfied that all is now 'just so'. I'm just off to the Club now to give it its first good run, so hopefully, a happy posting to follow tomorrow morning.

cheers

Mike