Marsa's Blue Workbench In A Galaxy Far, Far Away!

TonyG

Hi Tony,

I had tried many variations of placement for all 3 vees but couldn't find a happy medium where all 3 would sit on the sleepers like they were supposed to. I think that because they are all pre-fabricated then no allowance is made for gauge and lining everything up. For me it was a compromise so as to make everything fit. All my other hand-built turnouts had the common crossings and vees made by myself,

hope this helps?

Mark
Hi Mark
Many thanks, will let you know how i get on.

Regards
Tony

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Weedkilling train - tool coach conversion

Whilst waiting for the thread title to be changed to reflect that this will now become my workbench thread I have a seemples question. What kind of roof vents did Mk1 CK's and BSK's? Were they the shell type vent?

regards,

Mark

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark, most mk1's had " dome and edge " type roof vents although some still have scallop.

The shell type were fitted from new and were replaced when overhauled. So depending on what period your planning would determine type of vent.

Rob

marsa69

Western Thunderer
They'll be mid 80s conversions but more importantly I'm asking as I want to start my Hunslet Barclay weedkilling train.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Right Markey boy...

99907 ( ck 7203 ) has dome and edge, 99908 ( ck 7160 ) scallop as do 99909 (sk 18401 ) and 99910 ( sk 18574 ):thumbs:

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Well thanks to the Mod Squad for changing the thread title :thumbs:

After getting well and truly p*ss*d off at the bungling civil servants at the Housing Asylum and their endeavors at trying to royally screw up my posting I unpacked :headbang: This was a very tactical exercise in unpacking. In other words I unpacked some of my train stuff :p Shh, don't tell the ball and chain. Even though my control panel and layout wiring looks like a can of exploding Heinz Spaghetti in sauce I got this urge to do something different, especially as college has finished for this year :cool: So with a modicum of modellers mojo I revisited my plans for my late 80's Hunslet Barclay weed-killing train. After looking through my resource material I decided that the tool coach would be the easiest to do.

So I've set about compiling a small 'bits list' so that I can convert a Lima CK into this particular carriage. I plan on stripping off all the protruding detail especially on the ends which are non-gangway and perfectly smooth. I am going to cut out the areas for the roller shutter doors where the corresponding windows should be and also cut out where the louvered vent is. I will then make up the roller doors and vent out of some thin styrene sheet. I intend to try and simulate how everything has been sheeted over by cutting one long piece of the thinnest styrene and gluing it over the whole side. Then with a gentle bit of persuasion aim to reproduce the ripple effect of where they've sheeted over all the openings. I've so far sourced some battery boxes, brake pipes, buffers and Kadees. I need to find out if these coaches were air, vacuum or dual braked so I can buy the corresponding bits. I also need to know what roof vents to buy and I plan on utilizing some of the Triang Big-Big bogies for now as these are not a bad representation of a B4 bogie (me and my penny pinching). I'm in luck as I have a maroon Big-Big with scale wheels so will remove these for fitting on the new tool coach. The bogies will need a few cosmetic touches doing to it but nothing major.

I'm also going to try and simulate the ribbed effect (ooh err missus :eek: ) on the roof but I was actually toying with seeing if I could acquire some Easybuild roofs. If I could get these then I could widen the coach as well (a ot easier than doing it myself) as I'm still undecided on whether to widen them or not? :confused:

All in all I think that this should be a relatively straightforward conversion (famous last words) and will give me something to keep me ticking along until after we eventually move (IF).

And I know, I know, post lots of pics :D If I get round to taking them that is ;)

As always thoughts, comments and ideas most welcome,

toodles,

Mark

PS I forgot to mention, I'm going to have to find a source for some window etches too as this coach has one double window left in.

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 12
  • scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 11

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Right Markey boy...

99907 ( ck 7203 ) has dome and edge, 99908 ( ck 7160 ) scallop as do 99909 (sk 18401 ) and 99910 ( sk 18574 ):thumbs:

You little beauty my friend :D You're gonna have another hangover at Telford. I can see it in your future ;)

So scallops it is then for this particular bezzler!