4mm Mercian Models Armstrong Whitworth 0-6-0 Diesel Electric Shunter in EM Gauge

Stevers

Western Thunderer
Thanks Phil, that's a brilliant photo, and gives me so much more to go on to fill in some significant gaps in the photo coverage I've seen so far!

In that photo, whatever it was, seems to have been disconnected, and looks to be much thinner than generally represented. Could easily be an oil or hydraulic pipe, and that was my first thought. There's an interesting assymetry to the box placement that wasn't visible from any other photo that I have.
Gear Case close up.jpgGear Case close up 2.jpg
This first photo is a cruel close up of a low definition photo grabbed from the Hattons website, the other end of the box does not look to be a regular box shape as I've shown it. In that photo there are some pipes visible that look like oil feeds. In another cruel closeup of 883 at Bicester after the connecting rods had been removed there is no piping visible at all. In both, the 'hole' above the case looks more like some sort of cover over a hole.

In general there are more rivets and angle iron for me to do, some beading round the gear cover, and a feature above the gear cover to represent. It has to be said that the rest of the gear cover under the running plate isn't ever so much like the one in the kit. This is another photo that doesn't show an access hatch to the diesel tank on this side, when you'd think you'd be able to see it if it was there.

A veritable cornucopia of interesting detail, and in time for me to make the changes!

Stevers

Western Thunderer
Compton Dundon was mentioned, who organised the event? I did not notice it in any of the usual places and a previous visit
was inspirational.
Hi Tim,
The Compton Dundon show is organised by Glastonbury and Street Lions. Most, if not all, of the layouts were from an informal group of narrow guage modellers based in Dorset and Somerset. There's no Interweb presence for this group as far as I know, but Mike Johnson of Jurassic Models fame would know more.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Steve,

TVM, Compton was the spark that led to the Schrottbetrieb micro, maybe it might be good enough for Mr. Johnson?

Tim

Stevers

Western Thunderer
Revised Gear Cover.jpg
Using Phil's excellent photo I've made some changes to the area of the gear cover. There's now a visible overlap with row of rivets at the rear of the bonnet to match the one at the front. The angle iron and rivets at the base of the fuel tank (visible in other photos and the etched kit) has also been added. I've revised the shape of the pimple and stuck four bolts on the end. There is something on top of the gear cover that seems best represented by two narrow cylinders on a circular base once these are partly buried in the bonnet. This arrangement does throw the sort of shadows visible in photos and there do seem to be pipes or tubes emerging from them, so these might well be oil pots, in as much as it matters.
Revised Gear Cover 2.jpg
That overlap towards the rear of the bonnet adds to the story, and I've also panelled the area round the gear cover, all fastened back with more rivets. The 'speedo drive' has been shortened to the rear and a collar added round the cable/pipe, but introducing alternative shapes at the other end didn't to my mind add any credibility to the arrangement.

WD Transfer.jpg AW WD Transfers colorised.jpg
Phil's photo was also inspiration for me to use that style of WD lettering. There seems to be some consensus that in post-war WD days that the loco was green and the lettering yellow. The '3' appears to be a cut down '8', so not too hard to put something together from scratch without resort to trying to find a font that matches. Other photos and models have the WD arrow between W and D, but not at this point apparently. Suggestions for someone who can do custom transfers from my artwork for this (and the many 'L&SWR's needed for all those Downton Train Crash coaches) would be most welcome.

My EM AW diesel disaster had a little trip out to Semley last weekend where it had mesmerised scandalised a small and select audience by slowly, smoothly (and unexpectedly) clambering over a couple of P4 points in both directions, before coming to a rest on the barrow crossing at the Salisbury end. Shortly after this, it developed a bit of a 'hop' on each revolution of the wheels and it was removed from the scene of the crime.

On inspection, the rimless AG plastic wheel centre, that has served for 18 years as the gear wheel, had cracks in the wheel boss and it had shifted in on the axle. The axle was catching the connecting rod on each revolution causing the 'hop'. The chassis is now in bits while I turn the spare AG wheel into gear wheel mk2 with a steel rim to hold it all together. Mk2 will be without flanges or visible spokes on a slightly shortened axle to provide enough clearance for the chunky looking counterweight on the gearwheel to pass the coupling rods. Incidentally the J94 Austerity wheels are the only option in the AG range with 14 spokes in that size, and the square spokes are the necessary compromise.

Stevers

Western Thunderer
DSC00056.JPG
After fairly serious surgery, the little (non) bleeder now with filled in gear wheel and flangeless steel tyre. Still not keen on the mountings for the sanding gear, but it's hard to see anything that far back under the running plate. In this form it ambled round South Junction for an hour (without falling off) whilst I measured up for the buttress/pier caps for Pecking Mill Viaduct. Next step is to put the air tank and rear steps back, and order a revised 3D body print.

AJC

Western Thunderer
An hour on SJ without coming off is a reasonable test, I reckon. Looking forward to seeing the mark 2a version of the body.

Adam