7mm Michaels odd new kit, a Prussian T18

Simon

Flying Squad
Its not sour grapes at all its SOME people voted for

I know we all like to blame Brexit for our woes, but in this instance I believe the issue being flagged up by Michael is due to a new
EU VAT change , which applies to all outside the EU and not just us here in Blighty.

You can be forgiven your ignorance as this change has not been reported at all in the UK by the BBC, which strikes me as being odd to say the least.

I certainly has made trade into Europe more problematic, witness various publisher and suppliers here now refusing to send goods into the EU. My business still sends books into the EU and customers' experiences vary, with some being charged and others still not.

And my business is not registered for VAT in the UK, and yet it would appear that I am being required to charge it on goods going into the EU.

So, a change driven by the EU, not us leaving it.

Of course I wouldn't dare to suggest here or anywhere in public that Brexit was anything other than a terrible idea voted for by complete numbskulls.....

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I know we all like to blame Brexit for our woes, but in this instance I believe the issue being flagged up by Michael is due to a new
EU VAT change , which applies to all outside the EU and not just us here in Blighty.

Quite correct, we can hardly complain as these EU VAT changes were known about in 2018 and HMRC would have been party to the original discussions prior to Brexit. Naturally, if Council Directive (EU) 2018/1910 had been widely reported at the time we would have known what to expect when the EU rules changed in 2021.

michael080

Western Thunderer
update :)

the waterslides arrived, my covid fatigue disappeared, the sun starts shining, spring is coming and I made some progress with my T18.

DSC05994_cr_sml.jpg

It is standing on its own wheels, its moving nicely and I can start completing all the bits and pieces that are still missing. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

In case you didn't notice, the doors are missing, the cabin roof is still loose, the lifting arm is missing and a lot more...

Michael

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Looking really good Michael. Br78 has always been my favourite DB dampflok.

Did 78 164 ever carry Wendezug fittings during it's lifetime?

michael080

Western Thunderer
@Yorkshire Dave : no, 78 164 was carrying an Indusi magnet on both sides, but no Wendezug device. Engines with this device can be easily identified by their double set of brake hoses.

wendezug_1.png

IMG_20220402_194503_sml.jpg

My engine made good progress, I am currently trying Acrylic washes for the heavy weathering I am planning. These engines were very filthy in the late 1960s. Everything below the footplate was black, only a bit of red paint showing through the dirt.
The idea with the plastic spoons has been picked up from the plastic modellers. The picture above is actually showing 78 164 and I am planning to use the rightmost wash to reach that.
Tricky with Acrylic paint, there is no way to remove the last layer of paint without damaging the layer below.:eek:

we got snow here in Germany after having 20°C last week.

Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
I left Val Thorens this morning in near blizzard conditions with at least 12cm of fresh snow on the road, drove through sleet, rain, calm, wind, sun and most surprisingly, more lying snow just south of Calais.

Happily no plagues of locusts, and free from pestilence…

Renovater

Western Thunderer

You can be forgiven your ignorance as this change has not been reported at all in the UK by the BBC, which strikes me as being odd to say the least.

I certainly has made trade into Europe more problematic, witness various publisher and suppliers here now refusing to send goods into the EU. My business still sends books into the EU and customers' experiences vary, with some being charged and others still not.

And my business is not registered for VAT in the UK, and yet it would appear that I am being required to charge it on goods going into the EU.

Of course I wouldn't dare to suggest here or anywhere in public that Brexit was anything other than a terrible idea voted for by complete numbskulls.....
For me being a fairly regular customer it was Slaters decision to have a minimum of £140 for orders going to the EU that did it for me ! Unbelievable.

michael080

Western Thunderer
@Renovater : If you are located in the EU, you may contact Helmut Eßlinger from 0-scale-hobbyshop He is ordering at Slaters regularly and he has a decent stock.
@simond : The spoons have a very smooth surface and the concave shape helps to evaluate the surface under various angles. They are cheap and they have a handle, so no paint on fingers.

Michael

michael080

Western Thunderer
Here is where I am so far:

DSC06021_cr_sml.jpg

I am moving slowly forward. Only a small step every day.
There is a surprising contrast between the appearance above and below the footplate. There is only a faint letover of red paint visible below the footplate. Above the footplate, the black is faded, but mainly intact.
I can only suspect that the crud below the footplate is a waterproof mixture of lubricant and dirt and that everything above the footplate can be washed away in the rain.
I am sure it will take a couple more weeks until I come to an end with it.

Michael

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Sehr gut Michael :thumbs:

With acrylic washes patience is the key and it's a case of stopping when you have reached the desired effect.

The only 'clean' parts will be any handrails where they are continually touched, possibly the data panels and as you say areas 'washed' by the rain.

AJC

Western Thunderer
I've only just had the chance to see this on a proper size screen: it's a fine model of an imposing loco. I like the way that the red has been (mostly) lost, though it does make the shiny axle ends sing out a bit - wouldn't they have started out as red too? That said, I'm used to seeing well scrubbed preserved German steam so I'm in no position to judge.

Adam

michael080

Western Thunderer
Thanks for all the "likes"!

Dave, I am planning to clean some of these parts towards the end of the weathering process. The handrails at the footplate doors have been chemically blackened. I guess that this will match the steel color quite well
Adam, I will paint the fixing screws later. I am a bit scared to fill the allan key hexagon holes with paint, because it would be practically impossible to remove a wheel if that would happen. I agree, it stands out like a sore thumb.
I have a nice picture of the 78 164 prototype. It has been taken by Dieter Junker, who bequethed his collection to the Eisenbahnstiftung Dieter Schmidt . It is a incredible source of information. Many professional and amateur photographers gave their collections to the Stiftung. I fully respect their copyright, but I can't provide a deep link to the picture, so here is 78 164 in all its glory.

78164___Schweinfurt 19860329 DieterJunker.jpg

The picture has been taken 1969 or 1970. The engine was already 50 years old.
I am trying to reproduce my model to this picture. It shows an awful lot of characteristic details like the different lamps at the backside. The top lamp is DB style, the lower lamps are old DRG lamps. The rearward tank has a patched leak. There were no two identical machines, many details were unique to a certain machine, like the number and position of the domes, the safety valve type, the position of generator and bell. Many machines didn't receive the Indusi magnets that can be seen below the footplate. The bulge at the right side was required, because the electrical cabinet for the Indusi is huge. The "Wendezugsteuerung" hasn't been installed at 78 164.

Michael

michael080

Western Thunderer
good evening,

I have been testing a new concept for the pickups .

IMG_20220505_193250_NR_cr.jpg

A piece of .5mm phosphorbronze wire with two bows at each end fixed on a 2x2mm piece of PCB. The wheel flange keeps is safely in position. It glides silently, with no significant drag and follows willingly any axial shift. As you can see, it also cleans the wheel treads. :oops:
Invisible because it is hidden under the running plate.
The loco frame is a closed box, so I couldn't use slaters pickups. This may be useful if there is not much space between the side plates.

Michael

mickoo

Western Thunderer
You might find you will get longer running if the end of the wire does not touch the tread, dirt is already building up on yours.

I use the same principle but the inverted U only rubs on the rim where dirt traditionally does not gather as it is not in contact with the rail head.

Like your's, silent, very low drag and virtually invisible.

Image1.jpg

michael080

Western Thunderer
Done!

a little bit more weathering, adding the missing bits and pieces and populating the footplate.

DSC06228_cr_sml.jpg

DSC06231_cr_sml.jpg

The driver is wearing a blue shirt, but the other details are as close as possible to the picture above. I hope you enjoy the pictures. The kit was a challenge and I am relieved that I finished it.

Next will be a nice little challenging MMP-wagon.

More Pictures can be found on flickr.

cheers,
Michael