7mm Mike Sheardown's Workbench

Mike Sheardown

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike

What research material do you have loco driver/fireman uniforms. I've noted a lot of railway related web sites pay a great deal of attention to locos and rolling stock (naturally) but scant information regarding the colour of staff uniforms (and other ancillary items for that matter).

All I've come up with is that post-nationalisation loco crew are usually in blue as your crew at the top of this thread show and pre-nationalisation/pre-group crew tend to have black or dark grey uniforms. The latter extrapolated from black and white photos knowing orthochcrome black & white film was not red sensitive.

Now to repaint my SR loco crew from blue to black uniforms....:rant:.

Hi Dave,

Yes, this has been an ongoing problem for me too, since as you say, there is precious little information on the colour of uniforms and/or clothing worn by loco crew.

To this end, a lot of my conclusions are really based on semi-educated guess work, so please do take all of the following with a hefty pinch of salt – i.e. non of it is necessarily correct, but it is the best I can come up with, and it is also what I’d do myself when painting figures of a particular period.

I agree with ‘DG’s’ post above, as there seems to be quite a bit of photographic and artistic (i.e. paintings) evidence, that during both the Grouping Period (i.e. Big Four – 1923 – 47), and Nationalisation Period (i.e. BR - 1948 onwards), that blue cotton drill was widely worn. This typically took the form of bib and brace, with matching jacket, and as ‘DG’ says, these faded with use and washing from a dark purple type blue, to a very pale cobalt type blue. Often, you would see lighter coloured jackets over darker bib and brace, where the bib and brace had been replaced due to having worn out before the jacket (typically with firemen who would hang their jackets up to fire).

To these, you could also add black steel toe-capped boots, black Grease-top cap, shirt (white?) and possibly a tie from home (?) and, a much thicker and warmer very dark blue or black over jacket for cold weather.

In addition, I’ve also seen examples of crew mixing these clothes with their own, the most common being to replace the grease-top cap with a flat cap, which wouldn’t have been as sweaty as a grease-top, and/or an old sports jacket instead of the blue cotton drill one.

So with regard to your SR crew, I’d be happy with them in the blue clothing you’ve already given them, as it matches with the above.

However, it’s the Pre-Grouping era that I find most challenging, as I can find hardly any written or (modern) photographic evidence to act as a guide as to the colour of clothing. I even bought a book on ‘Railway Buttons, Badges and Uniforms,’ which I thought would answer all my questions, but would you believe it, in the various chapters on uniforms, the guy who wrote it talks about the style, the number of buttons, the type of cloth, but, hardly ever mentions the b***** colour !!! – what a banana??!!! :rant:

So unless I discover evidence to the contrary, regarding the particular company's crew I’m modelling, I feel that various shades of black, grey, brown and white are probably a reasonable reflection of the type of colours worn. Also, it is this period where the crew seemed to make even more use of their own (old?) clothes, again, particularly the use of flat caps and even bowlers for head gear, so further variation is likely.

Some additional ‘semi?’ factual information to add to the above is:

Almost all companies issued their crews (and guards?) with red neckerchiefs, because these could also be used as danger signals should the need arise. Interestingly, at least one company banned the use of red or pink (??) material of any kind – presumably, because it could be mistaken for a danger signal??!!!

The white jackets sometimes seen in old photos of this period, were indeed white, and made from a material called fustian, which was a hard wearing fabric made from a combination of cotton and wool.

The LNWR used a dark bottle-green fabric for the jackets, coats and caps of many of it’s station staff, guards and shunters (often with grey trousers), and whilst there is no (?!!) mention of engine crews, I would find it reasonable to assume that they may well have been issued with same??

In the book I referred to earlier, one of the few references to colour of uniforms applies to the dark blue fabric used for all grades of staff on the LSWR, and whilst again there is no specific mention of engine crews, I find it reasonable to assume they may have been issued with it too. I'm particularly grateful for this, as it gives me a clear steer for the LSWR crews I'm doing currently, the first being the driver above.

Anyway, I hope the above is helpful, but like I said, a lot of it is guesswork on my part, and I for one, would value any further info and/or corrections from other WT ers.

Cheers

Mike

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Thanks for your insight Mike.

Gives me the idea to paint BR loco crew in two shades of blue, mixing blues for loco drivers and for firemen to depict the stages or wear.

I'll have to try this.

Mike Sheardown

Western Thunderer
Thanks for your insight Mike.

Gives me the idea to paint BR loco crew in two shades of blue, mixing blues for loco drivers and for firemen to depict the stages or wear.

I'll have to try this.

Well good luck with that Dave, and here's a couple of colour reference photos for you (albeit current heritage railway pics):

index.php

...reasonably new (R), and half washed out (L)

index.php

......highly washed out.

Hope they're useful

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• SV Crew - RS 2.JPG
    SV Crew - RS 2.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 343
  • P1010144.JPG
    P1010144.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 342

Herr Flick

The captions have not transferred with the images.
They are as follows -
1. Kings Cross driver Jim Edwards (R);
2. Unknown driver at Edinburgh Waverley May 1956;
3. Haymarket driver George Spilsbury 1955
4. Kings Cross driver Percy Heavens (L);
5. Respect!! Haymarket driver Bill Nairn in 1957. A Sergeant Major in WW1. Look at those
boots. Old habits.....

DG
Herr Flick

Mike Sheardown

Western Thunderer
Thanks DG.

Interesting style of jacket in pics 1. 2 + 4.

No lapels and fastened at the top almost looks like a pre-grouping style/type:

index.php

Sorry the photo's not very sharp!!

I always thought that BR period jackets had lapels???

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• figures 008rs.jpg
    figures 008rs.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 307

Herr Flick

Mike

They did - look at picture 5 of Bill Nairn. He seems to be wearing both types.
I think the collars on the ones you mentioned are there - but turned up - to look
almost like the old 'Grandad shirts'

DG
Herr Flick

Mike Sheardown

Western Thunderer
I'm not sure - could have a button under the lapel I guess, to allow for fastening to the top?

I think the GWR men had a lapel-less style of jacket though - maybe it's that type???

I think BN in pic 5 is wearing the warmer Donkey type over-jacket on top, made of different cloth.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the photos of loco crew. As for the pre-group guys, beards are de-rigueur.

I came across this is my grandfather's collection which gave me some information. Looks like the fireman is wearing a sleeveless jacket. I like the way the driver is cleaning his boots :). Loco is 60003 Andrew K McCosh formerly Osprey.

Gresley A4 Andrew K McCosh (formerly Osprey) Peterborough.jpg

Mike Sheardown

Western Thunderer
A couple of Photos of the finished LSWR Driver I was re-modelling earlier:

index.php

index.php

The loco he's sitting on, is a very tired 'off the shelf' model of an LNWR Jubilee Class Compound, made by Miller and Swann & Co back in the 1930's. Whilst it doesn't compare with the level of backhead detail achievable today, for the 1930's I think it's pretty ahead of it's time, especially for an 'Off The Shelf' model !!

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• figures 046RS.jpg
    figures 046RS.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 218
  • figures 045RS.jpg
    figures 045RS.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 46
  • figures 034RS.jpg
    figures 034RS.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

Mike Sheardown

Western Thunderer
Thanks for your kind comment Rob.

To be honest, I'd forgotten how enjoyable and how totally absorbing it is to do some figure painting after such a long break from it. Especially with a CD playing in the background, hours seem to just slip by without me noticing (not sure if that's a good or bad thing ?? :confused: )

Anyway, I've got three more of these to do, so there'll be a few more lost evenings yet.

Best wishes

Mike

Mike Sheardown

Western Thunderer
Finally finished the two crews for Nick Dunhill's T9's a couple of nights ago. Here they are still stuck on the cocktail sticks I used to hold them while painting:

cIMG_5900r.jpg

I've repainted some of them a few times, particularly the driver (3rd in from left), who I originally painted with a blue uniform, but just didn't feel happy about (I felt it made him look too modern). I finally settled on Black and dark grey, and then added sideburns and a more bushy moustache, which also seemed to make him appear more 1900 - ish.

cIMG_5902R.jpg

..and a staged shot of them posed on the layout:

H1140036TUr.jpg

Nick came round today to collect them, and brought one of the finished T9's to show me. Thought we'd do a mock-up of the crews in place, so Nick shone his iPad light into the cab, while I took a few pics with my phone. Photos are a bit crude (we didn't even bother to couple the loco and tender), but you get the idea:

IMG_5903r.jpg

IMG_5906r.jpg

IMG_5904r.jpg

IMG_5911r.jpg

Cheers

Mike

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Excellent figures Mike - it's always good to see them in 'stationary' poses rather than 'freeze frame' action poses of which the fireman is usually the classic for this.

Richard - I like the Kings Cross photo - the central figure clearly shows the dirtier patch on the uniform between the torso and knees. Obviously where the hands have been wiped. Something to apply to my figures.