Model Express Warship

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Clean and working is much nicer... especially at the head of some luverly maroon / green Mk.1s running into the Waterloo Sunset.
Yes but that is not how they were, they frequently ran them into the ground and maintenance well that's another story. anyway I don't have any red coaches to tow. Waterloo sunset more like Great Barr Smog

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Yes but that is not how they were, they frequently ran them into the ground and maintenance well that's another story...
I might have seen a clean one on April 1st 1958... working a set of XP58 stock in Porterbrook Pink and Mauve... downhill with a tail wind.

and then again maybe not.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
On a more serious note for a couple of sentences yes it is very sad that such a majestic loco could be discarded like it was, the Germans have not long got rid of theirs some 25 years later

mickoo

Western Thunderer
On a more serious note for a couple of sentences yes it is very sad that such a majestic loco could be discarded like it was, the Germans have not long got rid of theirs some 25 years later
German equivalent, the V200 was withdrawn

V200 built 53 withdrawn 84, 29 years ago, service life 31 years.
V200.1 built 62 withdrawn 88, 25 years ago, service life 26 years.
Info from my 1st tier anorak just left of centre.

Warships built 58 withdrawn 1972 , 41 years ago, service life 14 years.
Info google

The German equivalent of the Hymek (V160) is still running in large numbers, many have been rebuilt or re engined to meet tightening EU emission standards.

Where the Germans win is in a belief that hydraulic power is better, they are still churning out hydraulics yearly (G1206) and the sheer number of them in service, which means all depots and artisans are fully versed in them and their common component utilisation.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Text speak now look here good man, I have enough trouble turning the bloody thing on! let alone trying to text someone. It takes me all of my time to post a sentence due to the bloody predictive text, I would hate to think what would happen if I had to put in symbols, my phone hates me and I hate it as it is.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... I have enough trouble turning the bloody thing on!
Just dip it in a tin of best BB paint, wipe over and then let dry on a radiator.

This will not improve your ability to turn the thing on, neither will such improve your temper!