7mm Moy too

Overseer

Western Thunderer
The recent discussion about Thomas Moy wagons prompted me to build one of the Slaters 1923 RCH 7 plank wagon kits to become ex Moy wagon P 150663 in the condition photographed in 1952 and published in 'The 4mm Coal Wagon'. This has been on the list of wagons to build for quite a few years.

The Slaters kit is an excellent representation of the 1923 RCH wagons. I like the lack of internal detail as it makes it easier to add the texture of the unpainted planks. I like to replace the brake blocks and push rods, the supplied injection mouldings are not bad but Exactoscale brake blocks and Ambis push rods are better. I modified the sides to represent the London plank and reduced the end door height to match the photos. Otherwise the kit was built as supplied.

moy1.jpg
moy2.jpg
moy3.jpg

The outside airbrushed Phoenix red oxide -
moy4.jpg
moy5.jpg

I drew the lettering during the week and printed it on decal paper for application once the paint is dry.
moyl.jpg

Still need to add the brake safety loops and the capping clips, and paint the black bits and interior before distressing to match the photos.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Some progress.
moy6.jpg
moy7.jpg

A bit rough but it will be a lot rougher by the time it is finished. The black is a test of a new pot of Humbrol matt black brushed on straight out of the tin. Made in UK and a slightly different tin. Seems more like the old matt black than the last couple of tins over the past few years, the last one smelt funny and went solid quickly in the tin. I keep Humbrol (and other) paint tins upside down and find that they usually last for decades. I am still using some tins I acquired as old stock being discarded over 40 years ago.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Noted the caption describes an ex-Moy wagon in BR days, but that white might possibly be Moy's own chalk or lime.

I'm struggling at present to establish a connection between Charrington and Moy, but I believe the former took over the activities of the latter.
Certainly Charrington were at one time producing dried ground chalk for agricultural use.

Last edited: