New book on the Cotswolds line - (OWW) Worcester to Oxford

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I don't seem to be able to make a posting in the 'Resources' section, so please forgive me for doing so here.

Those of you who have followed my occasional postings here and also over on RMWeb may be aware that I have been much involved in a professional sense with the project to re-double the OWW Cotswolds line in the last few years.

Thanks to a chance meeting last year with railway author John Stretton and Silver Link Publishing (The Nostalgia Collection), I have teamed up with John to produce a new pictorial record of the Oxford to Worcester line. In common with other books in their popular ‘Past and Present’ series, this new book shows views of the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway (OWW) line taken during three periods: pre-singling (before 1971) / the ‘single track’ era (1971 to 2011) / and the newly-redoubled route.

Many of the latter-day photos have been taken from the same viewpoint and angle as the older views, enabling the reader to see with great clarity how the line has changed over the years. There are also photos taken during the key redoubling blockades in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Two editions/versions of this book are planned. The standard version was published last month and features a soft-back cover with over 200 black & white and colour illustrations. It will cost £19.99 (plus P&P), available from any good book seller (maybe even 'You Know who'...!  ;)) or directly from the publisher:

The NOSTALGIA Collection
The Trundle, Ringstead Road,
Great Addington, Kettering,
Northants
NN14 4BW

Tel/Fax: 01536 330588
email: sales@nostalgiacollection.com
Website: www.nostalgiacollection.com" www.nostalgiacollection.com

Cover for standard (soft-cover) version:
[attachimg=1]

Special 'Subscribers Limited Edition'
Due to printing and production deadlines, the standard version has had to go to press before the final (August 2011) blockade works, which saw the remainder of the OWW redoubling completed on 22/8/11, and so it will not feature photographs of the Moreton to Evesham redoubled section in everyday operational use.

As a result, subject to a minimum up take of not less than 300 copies, the publisher has decided to offer a special Subscribers Limited Edition of the book which would feature the following enhanced specifications:

• Hard covers with special ‘limited edition’ dust jacket
                • Increased extent, 32 additional pages as compared
                  with the soft cover version, including views taken after
                  the August commissioning of the Moreton to Evesham
                  section
                • Subscribers names listed inside the book
                • No further print runs of this hardcover edition will
                  be produced, so this is definitely a limited edition

Publication would be November/December 2011

It is proposed that the Subscribers Edition will be made available only on completion of the requisite order form, which will be made available separately from the publisher’s own Mail Order department.

The closing date for Limited Edition orders is officially 7th October 2011 and providing the minimum number of copies is reached, copies will be prepared and despatched for delivery to UK customers in December 2011. The RRP of the limited edition will be £30.00 plus P&P.

Proposed cover of Subscribers Limited Edition (hard cover):
[attachimg=2]

Whilst the first (soft cover) version of the book is very nice in its own right, the main reason for this post is to make ‘Thunder’ people aware of the possibility of the special limited edition, which will provide a much more comprehensive record of the changes brought about by the redoubling. We do need to reach the ‘magic number’ of 300 ‘expressions of interest’ as soon as possible, to ensure that the special edition gets produced.

Apologies that this is rather short notice, but if you would like to subscribe to the Limited Edition, please contact the publisher Silver Link/Nostalgia Collection direct, although it would help if you could PM me to let me know, as I am keeping a running tally of interested parties. A leaflet with more information on the limited edition will be available from the publisher.

If on the other hand you are interested in the standard version of the book, there is no need to contact me, please order it direct from your chosen book seller or the publisher.

Finally, I would stress that I am not gaining financially from this publication personally, my fee is being entirely donated to charity (Alzheimers Society) and I have no other commercial connection with the publisher.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• First edition cover_01.jpg
    First edition cover_01.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Ltd edition cover.JPG
    Ltd edition cover.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 30

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Well, I'm jolly happy to mention that the minimum number of orders has been reached, and the Special Edition will go ahead. If anyone wants one, I'm afraid that you've got until close of play tomorrow (31/10/11) to place an order with the publisher!

Alternatively, there is still the excellent soft-cover version, which at last inspection was to be found for sale on the premises of a certain purveyor of the printed word in these parts....