News from JLTRT

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=363146810554370&ref=bookmark
I started this Facebook page about the 47 a week ago to see what interest there was in an easy to build multi media kit and in under a week I've had around 40 replies. Some have contacted me directly to discuss it and there seems to be quite an appetite for it.
I've been posting pictures up on a daily basis with lots of close up detail shots that should help out any modellers.
So I hope this is what it appears to be.
I can't decide between D1733 XP64 or a two Tone green one though!!!

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I can't decide between D1733 XP64 or a two Tone green one though!!!

In that case Steve, you'll have to have both!

I would be in the same boat, as I fancy one in two tone green with full yellow ends, but I did like the look of the one in XP64 livery too. Does anyone know if it carried the red cab side stickers in service, or were they removed after the official photo was taken?

Regards

Dan

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
image.jpg image.jpg Yes she did although most written text claims she didn't and they were taken off straight after XP64 stock publicity runs. Here she is on a Shrewsbury bound train at Wellington.
She also has the brown under frame and bogies. All be it dirt covered in this shot.
Here she is at Old Oak with WR pattern lamp brackets and old Oak shed plate.
Note also she hadn't had the additional triangle welded on the cab steps at this point.

Last edited:

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Yes she did although most written text claims she didn't and they were taken off straight after XP64 stock publicity runs.

Thanks Steve - Just noticed in the photos that D1733 wasn't yet fitted with Serck shutters. That's something to remember when the time comes to build a model.

Thanks for the pictures and info. :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Ian G

Western Thunderer
Pete
There are not many decent brass bogie ballast wagons around, I have built 4 PRMRP wagons even with the plastic insert the kits need an update as I think they have not redrawn them in CAD.

Ian G

pete waterman

Western Thunderer
Yes Ian I built one Sea Cow's and one Sea Lion's they are the old RJH kits and yet again very old now as you say not CAD have you tried to build there Shark!

pete waterman

Western Thunderer
Funny looking at this its very like the one I'm building but with no cross rivet's could this also at one time been a college models kit! Mike

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Pete
There are not many decent brass bogie ballast wagons around, I have built 4 PRMRP wagons even with the plastic insert the kits need an update as I think they have not redrawn them in CAD.

Ian G

I don't really agree with that Ian - and in defence of PRMRP I would say that both the Seacow and Shark are quite straighforward kits to build - though I suppose the ploughs on the Shark might be better supplied pre-formed these days, to suit the 21st century market.

I remember building a rake of 8 Seacows and a Shark back in 1985 when we introduced them and the build time for the Seacows [excl. painting] averaged out at below 6 hours per wagon - though the hours don't really matter IMHO. They were actually our best selling wagon type and were good value @ £25.50 each - obviously at that price they included no interior detail and were designed to be built 'loaded'.

I think sometimes it is just easier to blame kits rather than the individual modellers skill levels. Also there is a great satisfaction in individualising a model rather than having everything done or supplied for you.

Modelling might be about enjoyment but is also at least as much about experiencing that sense of acheivement that modelling on the 'edge' of your skill level can give you and in pushing that edge ever further - something I'm sure that most of us on this forum are 'signed up' for! Of course this and enjoyment can be one and the same thing!

If I may post two external links here to an American web site called OST Publications - these links set out what I am trying to say far more eloquently that I have managed to!

http://www.ostpubs.com/the-missing-conversation/

http://www.ostpubs.com/about-ost/

I can still remember building up a fleet of the old MTK 4mm diesel kits in the 1970s and it was immensely fulfilling to take those [very poorly] cast and dare I say, distorted, kits and turn them into something special - I got through several medium-cut bench files in the process though!!!

Regards,

DJP/MMP

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Funny looking at this its very like the one I'm building but with no cross rivet's could this also at one time been a college models kit! Mike

Hi Pete,

if I recall, the etches were marked Shedmaster and I would have thought that it would have been an expensive exercise for Richard Bollen to redraw the etches just to put his mark on them in lieu of College Models. The kit is now with Laurie Griffin along with most of the ex Shedmaster range.

So can we expect a kit from MM1 in the near future?:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

cheers

Mike

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Dick Bollen, a blast from the past. My dad bought a lot of stock from him back in the day when I was knee high..

JB.

Ian G

Western Thunderer
David

Dont get me wrong I like building the sea lion/sea cow kits, nice easy throw to gether kits without to much hassel, and with a few decent photos help with the extra bits out of the scrap box, I need at least another 4.

Pete

The only problem I had building the shark was that the planking had not been fully etched, rolling the plough blades where made easy by holding them over a flame, to solve the issue I have plated the shark in thin metal for a later version, but will no longer finish the build due to it getting damaged in my house moving, the ploughs and the buffers are the only salvigable bits, a scratch built body will be neaded now until either I get another one from PRMRP or one from David if he gets round to producing one (hint).

At the moment for my ballast train I have 4 bogie ballast (PRMRP) & Dogfish (MMP)6 in dutch 1 in weathered black, more dogfish will be needed as well some time soon.

Ian G

pete waterman

Western Thunderer
These are my Sea Lion and Sea Cow yes they went together well I fact very good. I added the ints but they are a lot of work and at the time they were made that's the way things were. But we've moved on. The question is it time for a new kit with modern idea's I guess only time will tell and market forces !resize.jpg

Ian G

Western Thunderer
Pete

The plastic inner helps hide all those rivit holes, but yes getting the curve to fit on the centre patition is time consuming.

Ian G