Newton Oak Shed

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Very atmospheric!

Now - can you give me a hand out of this rabbit hole I’ve been stuck in for 20 minutes?
I have not noticed the use of catenary power supply to a shed turntable before.
It makes very good sense, yet I cannot find any photographs showing the arrangement.
Is this a detail you have taken from an actual shed?

StuartR

Very atmospheric!

Now - can you give me a hand out of this rabbit hole I’ve been stuck in for 20 minutes?
I have not noticed the use of catenary power supply to a shed turntable before.
It makes very good sense, yet I cannot find any photographs showing the arrangement.
Is this a detail you have taken from an actual shed?
Thank you
If you have a look on the below link on Steam GWR museum you will find a photo of the arrangement. Dated c 1910.
Stuart

Mikemill

Western Thunderer
Stuart

Outstanding piece of modeling, and interesting collection of engines did you build the engines as well?

Mike

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Thank you
If you have a look on the below link on Steam GWR museum you will find a photo of the arrangement. Dated c 1910.
Stuart

Brilliant, thanks.
Messrs Lyons and Mountford (they of History of GWR Engine Sheds fame) came by while I was stuck but they couldn’t help any.
They merely advised that roundhouse turntables were originally installed for manual operation with later conversion to electrical power.
Interesting that the catenary photo is such an early date.
It certainly makes for an interesting feature in your diorama.

StuartR

Stuart

Outstanding piece of modeling, and interesting collection of engines did you build the engines as well?

Mike
Hi Mike
Thank you, there is a mixture of my scratch built, kit built and in recent years ready to run mostly repainted/detailed have been added.

Stuart

StuartR

Brilliant, thanks.
Messrs Lyons and Mountford (they of History of GWR Engine Sheds fame) came by while I was stuck but they couldn’t help any.
They merely advised that roundhouse turntables were originally installed for manual operation with later conversion to electrical power.
Interesting that the catenary photo is such an early date.
It certainly makes for an interesting feature in your diorama.
I found the OPC book on GWR engine sheds London division very useful, the shed is modelled in its earlier years

Stuart

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Stuart - I'm a sucker for shed layouts and this is superb. As a regular visitor to Old Oak in steam days it actually captures the atmosphere amazingly well, although I suspect the shed master would have been after the past cleaners for creating so much smoke indoors!

I'll look at my photos but I'm pretty sure that evidence of the catenary remained in the 60s.

Brian