Old Buffers Amateur Workbench

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
ABS brake van kit.
Thought I'd better start to show what I do instead of reading about other peoples better work. I've started an ABS brake van kit, opened the box to the usual assembly of parts and naff instructions, then realised I had got an unbraked version. :headbang: So I'm having to modify it to vac braked. The kit on opening the box.
100_0103.jpg
So far so good, have stopped building and started concentrating on scratchbuilding the components for the 8 shoe brakes.
100_0104.jpg
More to follow.
Alan

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
Yes It's going to be the BR version, but will have to go to the NVR to check the brakes on the van they've got. Somehow I've lost part of my drawings re the linkage from the cross shaft the vac cyl operates, to the cross shaft that operates the longitudinal rods, and the rodding from the guard brake stand to the rest of the linkage. :headbang:
Alan

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
Managed a few hours off the decorating chore today, I keep trying to get the sack, but she keeps telling me she can't sack slaves only sell them. Anyway I got a bit of the braking done on the brake van.
1st. Some of the bits cut and ready.
100_0106.jpg

2nd. Some of the bits assembled ready to be fitted.
100_0107.jpg

3rd. Just to show they move, check back with number 2.
100_0108.jpg

More to follow when I can escape again, only 3 more rooms to do. Oh and the stairs and the upper landing, will it ever end?
Alan

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
A bit more done today after the other chores, the brake linkage was soldered together and fitted to the van.
The linkage ready for soldering to the van, its made from scrap brass out of the bit box.
100_0109.jpg
Fitted to the van eventually, took a bit of pratting about with, only to find it is a bit too long :headbang:, but I wasn't going to pull it apart for a couple of mm's
100_0111.jpg
Alan

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
Had a few hours on the brake van today but managed to break a couple of the footboard hanger brackets supplied with the kit :headbang: :headbang:, nothing more to do than make some out of brass etching off cuts. Got them made and fitted then the boards.
100_0113.jpg
100_0118.jpg
I then decided to do something about the cabin interior, made the benches and writing desk out of dolls house timber pieces I've saved, the stove is from an old pen, just got to get them painted and varnished.
100_0114.jpg
Will have to make the roof out of thin timber as the kit comes with a naff plastic sheet.
Next time it will be finished and ready for painting I hope.
Alan

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
Phill Dyson said:
Nice work Alan  8) 8)..........any particular reason in choosing this one over the Slaters van ?

Phill  :thumbs:
Phill,
One of the reasons I prefer white metal or brass is mainly the weight, I don't have to add any lead to it, the other is, I enjoy soldering. Have had a few of the Slaters wagons which are good but very light. When I tried Jims and ABS they seemed "right", but some of the ABS castings could be better, and as I've said before the instuctions are naff. Have got an MMP class "A" tank wagon in the to do drawer which is next on the list, also I have got some Alan Gibson underframe kits to build then make my own bodies to put on.
Have got quite a few different kits in the to do drawer, it's just finding time to do them.
Alan

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
MMP class "A" tank wagon.
Did a stupid trick and opened the box to have a look at the parts, it's well thought out and includes 17 pages of instructions, written, exploded build diagrams and photo's of prototype:thumbs::bowdown: (pity some kit manufacturers don't take a leaf out of Jim's and David's books:rant:). While I was looking I thought I might as well do the rivets (try my home made rivet punch out). Then it was how does that fit? next thing I had cut some bits out of the fret and cleaned them up for a dry run. One thing led to another and I've started it:eek:, so far so good, not much done but it is going together really well. Photo's to follow.
Alan

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Opening the box is fatal Alan. I would love one of these tanks I just can't justify one (too late for my modelling era), that and I have a part finished LMS glass wagon from David's stable that I need to finish first or I may start to have bits chopped off by my good lady seeing as it was a gift.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I've got one of these to build as well, and I'm really looking forward to it. However, I keep telling myself that I must finish the 37 before starting anything else in 7 mil scale! I've resisted so far....

28ten

Guv'nor
I have built several there are some pics here
They are very good kits but you must take your time and read the instructions..... any problems give a shout:thumbs:
this is one I have built awaiting some muck, I do have some in progress shots somewhere if I can find them
IMG_3534.jpg.png

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
Finally taken a couple of pics of the (not much) progress so far. The first 2 are of my home made rivet punch, got a large staple gun from a car boot at the mega cost of 20p, stripped it down and gutted it, made a punch from an old nail punch bolted it in, then made a .7mm indent in the anvil for the rivet, works a treat.
100_0127.jpg
100_0128.jpg
Now the wagon, not much to show as I have been doing other things as well. Got some of the underframe done ready for all the small bits and pieces.
1. The opened box
100_0121.jpg
2. Couple of views of the progress so far.
100_0125.jpg
100_0126.jpg
Some more to follow when I get the time.
Alan

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
Are you doing the leaf springs?
Guv,
Have just got to the fitting of the outside spring hangers, had a good look, I am going to put a length of rod through the holes to keep them in line, then solder the hanger into position. I have had a good look at the fitting and I wonder if the best way is to dry mount the spring into the axle box, then offer everything up, this way it makes sure all is in line. I was thinking of cutting a bit of brass tube to go between the spring mounts, then put the brass rod through the hangers and the tube after the springs and axle boxes are in position. Still wondering whether to do the sprung suspension.

Have you a better plan guv, and did you want to warn me about anything in particular with the spring mounting.
Alan

28ten

Guv'nor
I used brass rod to line the hangers up and I made a little jig with two brass pins at the same center as the hangers and then another at the axle center that way you can do all the bending without damaging anything. The leaf springs are a squeeze, but they do fit, this is what it looks like assembled
IMG_1928.JPG