7mm On Heather's Workbench - small and perfectly formed

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
How do you go about hiding the screws in the cab, OzzyO? There are two holes etched in the front of the 57xx cab, obviously designed for screws into the resin casting. I opted not to use them.

This morning, I attempted to add the condenser and whistle chains up inside the cab roof.

image.jpg

I know the condenser should be twin pipes in the coil, and it should be slightly conical in shape, but I'm happy with the results.

Now, on to fitting pickups.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Come on Heather, your not blonde, and there the screws were gone!
cab county 13.JPG

I did sort the angle out before I fixed the backhead in place. To fix the backhead in place I solderer a small L angle of brass inside the backhead and use a 12BA screw to hold it in place from under the cab floor.

OzzyO.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
It's either got a sparrow stuck in the chimney, or a pickup needs tweaking. I'm quite pleased at how smoothly it runs, though.

mswjr

Western Thunderer
Thank you. Compared to some round here, I feel a rank amateur, though.

Yes there is some good modellers out there,but yours are up there too,Ive never seen anyone put whistle chains on ect as you have done on your pannier,I will have to try harder,

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I think it was a good day at the workbench today. I set to, full of ideas of how to achieve some fiddly bits.

IMG_7682.jpg

7752 is now beginning to look like a pannier tank. There are still bits and bobs I must address, not least the whistles and most of the underframe detailing, but it's all beginning to come together nicely.

Today's tasks included the steam heat and vacuum brake pipes as they run along the hanging bar. The pipes are 1mm brass wire, and the brackets are 0.5mm wire bent rather like the cup hooks you can buy in DIY stores, which were soldered into holes spaces to match what I can see in the photos. The "pipe" was bent to fit, and rather than go through all the complicated knitting that seems to take place under each buffer beam - which would have interfered with fitting the chassis - I opted to sort of lose the pipes up under the footplate. Hopefully the subterfuge won't be too obvious once all the rest of the beam decorations are fitted and it's all painted grubby black.

IMG_7684.jpg

I've made little stand-off supports for the toolboxes, which will be painted and glued on after the main painting is done. The injectors are now fitted properly. The castings are not quite of the right proportion, being a little short in height around the U-bend part. The castings are fitted to the resin block, essentially by the pipe that disappears into the tank. To make sure they don't come adrift, I've engineered some 0.7mm wire that goes into the firebox and adds extra support. It's unobtrusive, but all helps.

IMG_7685.jpg

The injector drain pipes have been fitted, and I chose to use brass tube so there's a proper hole at the drain end. :drool: Some folk fill tube with solder so it can be bent without being crushed. I used brass wire. The pipe is effectively soldered to the back of the cab steps, with a securing blob of solder behind the hanging bar. I think I mentioned before this is the arrangement of this pipework as built. I have come to the conclusion the external pipe you see on preserved locos was done at the same time as the top feed was fitted to these locos.

IMG_7686.jpg

I can't resist it. I'm really pleased with the cab fittings. Once the crew is installed, and the reversing lever and gauges, it's going to look lovely and cluttered.

Photo picking has revealed that cab doors are a later affectation, so they're out. I have to fit the cab handrail, but that won't be done until the cab itself is fixed to the footplate.

Finally, some more shots to show progress so far.

IMG_7688.jpg

IMG_7690.jpg

IMG_7693.jpg

IMG_7694.jpg

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Hello Heather,

coming along nicely, but if I may? Your steam and vac. pipes are a bit under nourished at 1mm, I'd aim for 1.5-1.6mm.
On a recent build I made some P clips for the pipes, I think that the strip was 1.25mm N/S by 0.25mm.

001 193.jpg
001 192.jpg

The line on the jig is the cut off line.

OzzyO.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Cheers, OzzyO. You certainly may!

I agree the clips are undernourished, but I've gone for the pragmatic approach - use what I have to hand that causes the least damage. With more foresight, I would have added better ones earlier in the build. I'll know next time!

(I need a shopping list of suitable strip for my stores, I think.)

I'll be brutally honest and say my client won't actually mind. He will be very happy that it's Pannier-shaped, and moves under its own power.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
No Heather, the pipes are undernourished at 1mm you should aim for 1.5 - 1.6mm dia. Or about 2 3/4" full size.

OzzyO.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I found some 1.6mm brass rod on the shelf. I am planning a shopping expedition to our local model engineering emporium over in Staplehurst next week to stock up.

While I was replacing the pipework, I thought I'd have a go at representing the asbestos lagging on the steam pipe...

image.jpg

The upshot is it looks the business, but it means the pipe will have to be fitted after the loco has been through the paintshop. I suppose I could mask it with Maskol or similar, but as it's actually household masking tape it may well pull off when extricating the latex.

So, thanks to everyone who encouraged me to pull my finger out and make it better!

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
The checklist is steadily getting smaller on this build.

I have been leaving the brake gear for some time. It's been worrying me, because I wanted to have the pull/push rods demountable (a) for painting and (b) to let someone else take the wheels out if they wanted to. I couldn't put it off any longer, so I slept on it.

My solution, which I am pleased with (though I expect the wiser heads among us will have thought of this idea and used it countless times), is to use 14BA bolts to hang the brakes from.

IMG_7696.jpg

On the bolt, soldered into the frame, a brass tube spacer places the brake hanger at the right distance. A washer, followed by a nut, finishes the combo. Now the brake hangers stay where I put them, simply by tightening the nut.

The wise ones nod sagely, because they know all this already. ;)

IMG_7698.jpg

From what I can make out in the photos, the spreader bars on the front axle brake gear are fairly substantial. I had already worked out that to enable removal, I would use tube, with wire from the pull rods through the hanger. This much I had done some time back, before I decided it was much more interesting working on the pretty bits up top.

IMG_7699.jpg

Of course, that still left the problem of the wrap-around rear pull rods. I wanted to leave a slightly unprototypical space around the rear axle to avoid the potential of shorts. More brass tube, and another 14BA bolt, a little adjustment, and fitting of the brake cross-shaft later, and it all kind of works. A result.

The plan is to "fix" the loose wire with a blob of PVA once its all reassembled after painting.

IMG_7700.jpg

Electrical pickup is fairly orthodox. Without the complication of the valve gear, I took advantage of the open splashers and arranged phosphor bronze strip wiping on the back of the wheels over the frames. For fiddling with the brake gear, I removed the wiring and motor/gearbox, so you can see what's going on for a change.

IMG_7701.jpg

At the back, I had originally had the pickups wiping on the bottom of the wheels, failing to spot the brake rigging would foul it. A swift rearrangement, and a bit of carvery in the cab sub-floor, allowed me to wipe on the top of the wheel, like the front. All this shenanigans is hidden by the proper cab floor, and happily with no shorts I can find at the moment.

IMG_7702.jpg

Meanwhile, up on top, I worked out a way to ensure the dome and chimney fitted neatly with brass wire pins to aid the glue I'll use later. The chimney pins are fixed to the smokebox, and grip the inside of the chimney casting.

IMG_7703.jpg

The checklist is getting shorter, but there are still some significant items to fit. I am still worrying away at how the whistles actually fit, so they are currently notable by their absence. I spent a good hour or two worrying away at the JLTRT cast screwlink couplings yesterday, and I chemically blackened the buffer housings and planks. Handrails need fitting, but I am leaving those for now to avoid damage. The main handrail, obviously, can't be fitted until the cab and boiler are united "permanently".

IMG_7704.jpg

The hooks for storing the couplings under the left-hand buffer need to be fitted. I've posed all the main components to see how things look. Sandboxes, which are whitemetal castings, are supposed to be fitted to the frames, but the rear ones fouled the injector pipes. Instead, the castings will be fitted under the footplate - the rear ones to the back of the cab steps.

IMG_7705.jpg

I'm really pleased with the fiddly bits progress this past few days. Balance weights need to be fitted to the wheels, of course. Now all the details are more or less there, 7752 is really looking like a proper engine, with the right amount of busy-ness in the right places.

Of course, there are some bits I haven't fitted yet...

IMG_7708.jpg

I know they go under the rear frames, but I can't find any clear guidelines as to how. Any clues?

alcazar

I like your solution for the brake rodding. I have been thinking of something similar for an LNER 8-wheel tender.

flexible_coupling

Western Thunderer
Heather, it looks as though you're still having the opposite of fun with the rear bunker and the transition between the various panels between the etches and castings, or is that just cruel magnification? Aside from the enormous amount of little bits everywhere.... that bunker is quite aptly scaring me off investing in a kit.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Heather, it looks as though you're still having the opposite of fun with the rear bunker and the transition between the various panels between the etches and castings, or is that just cruel magnification? Aside from the enormous amount of little bits everywhere.... that bunker is quite aptly scaring me off investing in a kit.

I am leaving it until I feel brave. The photo shows the good side!

While I filled a lot with low melt solder early on, I felt it needed proper filler to do it properly. I intentionally left it until last while soldering operations continued. It is on my check list.

If I were to do it again, I would probably throw out the cast corners and fabricate new ones to fit the curved panel. Hindsight is wonderful, isn't it?