7mm On Heather's Workbench - The other Twin

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
IMG_4774.JPG

IMG_4775.JPG

I'm trying to get 10001 finished this weekend. Today I've been futzing about with buffer beam details, fettling so the body slides over the crew easily (ooer, missus!), and making the rooftop fan grille. The nunbers and worksplates need to go on, then some varnish to protect the transfers. Then I can think about the glazing.

So many little loose ends to tie up!

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Heather, you have done it again. Another really special model. The bare metal aluminium waist band certainly lifts the gloss black livery.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Thanks everyone! I've heard from the client, and he wants some mild weathering. I am now going to spend a while considering the best way forward to achieve a clean, but slightly grubby appearance.

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Obviously it's the clients choice, but it does seem a shame to weather what looks like a museum quality model. You've made a grand job of it!

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Thanks everyone! I've heard from the client, and he wants some mild weathering. I am now going to spend a while considering the best way forward to achieve a clean, but slightly grubby appearance.

I'd use several thin black/brown washes. Wipe it with downward strokes on the body sides and wipe from the nose around towards the cab between washes. Keep applying the washes and wiping down until it looks right. Possibly the noses may appear cleaner as these would have been 'force/pressure washed' by rain.

This will at least ensure the any 'dirt' remains in any corners on the trucks and raised iron (aluminium?) work.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I have seen some photos of the Twins looking desperately filthy, probably taken around the end of winter. I have a single colour image of 10000 in the early 1950s, on Southern Region metals, with bogies that appear almost black, but I don't want to go quite that far. The client had this to say:

I think a little light weathering is in order as it not going in a showcase

So, I shall aim for some brake dust and general grime around the bogies and battery boxes, a little traffic grime on and around the skirts and grilles, and sooty muck around the roof. Nothing overboard.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Heather

Have look for early pictures of Falcon, there are quite a few about, it was kept very clean and just has some light weathering, diesels generally weather in the same way.

Richard

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I got 10001 in the paint shop Friday for a dose of mild weathering. Like most weathering, it's easy to over do it, and I worried I might have done just that on the bogies.

In daylight, they actually looked pretty good. I've given some attention to the roof, and mild spray up the sides.

Those perishing handrails, though. If I ever build another, they'll be the first thing I attend to. They are so vulnerable, and I managed to knock all of them off one side even being careful with handling. I said a rude word.

IMG_4886.JPG IMG_4887.JPG

Hopefully, I can do proper portrait shots later today, or more likely tomorrow. You may see this model "in the flesh" at Telford next weekend. I am still to confirm that I may have a corner of a table near JLTRT as part of the demonsterator crew.

farnetti

Western Thunderer
I said a rude word.

The weathering looks just right to my eyes, not too filthy, not too bright, lovely. I always put off painting for as long as possible as I don't trust my skills and can't afford professional painters.

I wonder what your rude word was, I'm always looking for new ones when things don't go right (often in my case). My favourite, from my grandfather, was "bugger and 7/8ths". He possibly had a lot to swear about as a pilot of a Bristol FE2b in the RFC during WW1.

Ken

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Over the past couple of years, with some health worries lurking about, I've been trying to take a more laid back approach to mishaps.

Previously, epithets would pour forth over a minor problem that would make even a hardened trooper blush. Nowadays, it generally takes quite a bit to make me really curse. Even then, I temper things, so it's "blast", "botheration", "fudge", or a good old-fashioned "oh, ARSE!" (said with feeling, of course).

I seem to reserve really full on cursing, of the effing and blinding variety, for when painting goes wrong - or when certain politicians appear on my tellybox. :)) :D

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I'm usually pretty patient - but a week of things going wrong - mothers electrics, the sandwich toaster, the replacement sandwich toaster, the WEP Fruit D, water leaking in the car/ oil leaking out, the final straw was the pull cord breaking on the rotovater, followed by the disintegration into constituent parts of the recoil mechanism drove me to fury. The answer was to go awol and sit on top of a hill for an hour or two ( it wasn't raining ) .
Painting is the worst, the best is to just leave it to later to sort out when it goes wrong. I hate swearing being used in every day language - there is a time and a place, but rarely. I think that 'blast me' and ' damn bad show' are far more effective, even though I might be saying more serious words under my breath....

Don't do stress, try to be more relaxed about things, I tell my self..

Tony

jonte

Western Thunderer
I feel your pain, Tony.

According to a recent daily rag article, 'effing' and 'jeffing' regularly is a sign of intelligence. I swear regularly. Just goes to show, there's an exception to every rule. Sh........!

Bestest,

jonte