Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Brilliant, thanks for posting those Roger :thumbs:
I'd already hoovered the two PMV photos from your workbench thread as extra help and was going to ask where your sourced buffers, steam pipes etc from as they are lovely looking castings.
Has she made it into paint yet?
Steve

Simon

Flying Squad
I'm embroiled in booky stuff at the moment so no PMV progress to report from here at the moment. Jamie's Plastic PMV is really inspiring and thank you too Roger for chipping in with your underframe picture.

One of the best aspects of it is the clear evidence of it's having been run on the wheel treads - dreadful:p

Simon

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
Brilliant, thanks for posting those Roger :thumbs:
I'd already hoovered the two PMV photos from your workbench thread as extra help and was going to ask where your sourced buffers, steam pipes etc from as they are lovely looking castings.
Has she made it into paint yet?
Steve

Still waiting to be painted at the moment. You and Simon could well beat me to it!
I'm going to paint it in BR blue. I've seen plenty of photos of PMVs with plywood sides in blue being hauled by hydraulics, but none
of the planked variety yet. I'm hoping that at least one made it into BR blue.

Roger

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
I'm embroiled in booky stuff at the moment so no PMV progress to report from here at the moment. Jamie's Plastic PMV is really inspiring and thank you too Roger for chipping in with your underframe picture.

One of the best aspects of it is the clear evidence of it's having been run on the wheel treads - dreadful:p

Simon

The PMV spent some time being hauled around Mark Smith's track, but it developed a hot box and one wheel set dropped out!
So I had to replace the low melt solder on the axle stub sleeves with 5 minute epoxy resin. The repair has yet to be tested.

Roger

adrian

Flying Squad
Jerry, (who is trying to think if there is a 2mm one so I can join in the fun)
You mean something like this? http://www.slimrails.co.uk/indexNgauge.html

2mmFS 5.png

OK n-scale rather than 2mmFS but I couldn't let Jamie, Simon and Steve have all the fun - also I have no idea how a PMV would end up on a LNWR North Welsh branch line in the 1920's - perhaps I should paint it in SE&CR livery? but rule No.1 applies anyway.

So forging ahead I cleaned the sides and end of what little moulding flash there was and stuck it together. I had to modify it a bit so the handrails at the end supplied in the kit are just mouldings, these were trimmed off and replaced with a bit of wire. However 0.3mm brass seemed a bit oversize so this was some No.11 guitar wire I had in stock.

2mmFS 6.png

2mmFS 7.png

Although I thought I'd stolen a march on Jamie, Steve and Simon unfortunately my flying start is going to come to a grinding halt very rapidly and I suspect I'll be last over the finishing post. Still new to this 2mmFS stuff I finally worked out which wheels and W irons etc. I needed to order from the association, filled out the order form and sent off the cheque only to find out that the Shop No.3 is closed for a few weeks so no wheels or W-irons until the middle of Feb.:'( So some time to finish my new painting booth, decide on livery and find transfers etc.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Lovely little model Adrian - must admit until I had read your Holywell Town thread, I wasn't quite sure where this one fitted in :)
I've some more jobs to do this morning, then I can get on with mine - I have a distinctly fourth place feeling right now :p
Steve

JimG

Western Thunderer
OK n-scale rather than 2mmFS but I couldn't let Jamie, Simon and Steve have all the fun - also I have no idea how a PMV would end up on a LNWR North Welsh branch line in the 1920's - perhaps I should paint it in SE&CR livery? but rule No.1 applies anyway.

Adrian,

A well known example of a Southern PV in the West of Scotland - on the Ballachulish branch - featured in an old RMWEB thread some years ago.

http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39859

...so yours might just have got to North Wales. :)

Jim.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Adrian,

A well known example of a Southern PV in the West of Scotland - on the Ballachulish branch - featured in an old RMWEB thread some years ago.

http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39859

...so yours might just have got to North Wales. :)

Jim.

Very common - by that time as parcels stock became increasingly 'common user' - but just after construction in the '20s? Less likely I would think - the SECR didn't build all that many for a start. Not impossible though.

Adam

queensquare

Western Thunderer

Another one succumbing to the undoubted charm of 2mm - marvellous.

These are lovely mouldings Adrian although the under frame is less so. the Association do some dummy W iron etches for these Kits to allow standard 2FS axles and bearings to be used although Chris Higgs has just done a number of NPCS under frames to match available kits and I suspect these will be among them - they are due to enter the Association shops soon. If so so they will lift them into another league.

Jerry

Ps transfers, you'll be lucky. What do you think this is - 4mm or something:))

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
That looks lovely Dan - and close to completion.
Can you not just squeeze in 10 minutes a day on it?
Go on, I dare you :)
Steve

Thanks Steve. :thumbs: It's actually waiting for my Mk2 W-iron etches, which in turn, are waiting for some other artwork to be completed, before I send them all off to PPD. I have a Slater's van BY to build as well, which will use the same W-iron etches, so things will happen, but later, rather than sooner.

Regards

Dan

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
A quick progress report from chasers corner.
A lucky escape to start with - I folded up one side of the body before remembering I had to press out the rivets - a gentle bend back, just enough to allow access for the rivet press, and I got both sides done fairly quickly. Folded back up again, I put the ends loosely in place and discovered that I had a 1mm gap between the body side and the half etched angle iron on the end (ie the ends were over width). A large chunk of that is down to the way I folded said angle iron round - I ended up flattening it back out again, using an olfa cutter right on the corner and reforming it. Original bend on the left, tighter version on the right.

PMV13 revised fold on ends.jpg

The tighter bend pulled back about 0.5mm and I was wondering what to do about the last bit. A look through Paul Bartlett's site showed that some vans had what appears to be an extra piece of strapping under the angle iron in the corners. I paid for a couple of downloaded photos and from what I can see, the additional metal adds extra width to the angle iron. That was good enough for me, I made some strips from 0.25mm thick nickel silver and soldered them inside the angle iron (this one could do with a stroke of a file to get rid of the slight taper).

PMV15 extra strapping.jpg

The strips extend all the way to the bottom of the angle, the excess is just filed off as per the photos. The angle has taken a bit of battering really, some subtle reshaping with solder towards the end of the build is required.
I've also prepped the chalk boards and ventilators for the sides, shown here with the ends which now fit the width of the body.

PMV14 part preparation.jpg

Hoping for a good day of soldering tomorrow.
Steve

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
That's impressive brass manipulation, Steve. The whole business of folding too soon, bending back, bending too loosely, just about sums up my attempts with kits in the past. The big difference is that I never, never, managed to retrieve the situations so well. Good stuff.
For my part with the plastic job, I have started to produce bits for the underframe. I'm reasonably confident enough to see how the main structure of longitudinal beams and buffer beams looked so have cut out enough components for them, but am still rather lost when it comes to just how the leaf springs were suspended. I'm struggling to interpret the published copy I now have of the official portrait (thank you Simon), so would remain extremely grateful for any drawings or good photos which show just how Bulleid did it.
Jamie
IMG_0001.JPG

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Thanks Jamie :) Judging by what you have posted above, your brass manipulation looks pretty tidy to me!
I can't help with your request I'm afraid - I have the same book you borrowed from Simon and I can't clearly work out how the springs were supported either.
Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Started the afternoon off by soldering pads of brass behind each hole for the diagonal strapping, then filling said hole in from the front with a piece of etch filed to shape. It was all done with 224 solder, I'm hoping the higher temp solder and extra mass of brass behind each piece will prevent it becoming unsoldered as the rest of the van gets built.

PMV16 diagonal strapping holes filled.jpg

The ends were then soldered in place, the long folds down the van body were seamed up and the solebars fitted. Its just had a quick scrub with viakal and warm water - it can have a proper clean later.

PMV17 ends and solebars on.jpg

Feel like I'm starting to catch up now :)
Steve

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
The mainframes/ buffer beams/ axleguards structure has been soldered up and gross checked for basic fit. There are still a lot of bits to make and fit, not least some diagonal members behind the buffers, and the brake gear and all that goes with it.
Lateral stretchers will also be needed, sprung out from the main beams, the ends of which on the prototype carry the leaf spring suspension. However, they will have to be delayed until I can discover just what their ends looked like and how the leaf springs were mounted.
One of the photos shows the prominent gap between body and headstocks, occasioned by the shock absorbing design. It is a prototypical gap. Honest.
IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG