PRMRP Lima Class 33 conversion kit

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

I have at last, re-started 34014 Budleigh Salterton after too long.

The tender is finished and primed. The chassis is motorised and runs very well ? a Ron Chaplin gearbox and Canon motor,  JPL wheels and current collection by the American principle. I?ll strip it down and paint it before I go any further with it ? then the valve gear and a few odds and sods to complete it.

However, I decided to make a start on the body as an overall incentive to get back into the construction. The footplate and the cab floor area was quite straight forward, but wrapping the roof and sides (one piece) over the framing was a bit of a pain, but that now means that the window frames go in next and they are tricky so it?s just as well that we are off for a couple of days, visiting our daughter in the Southern Counties so I can think about a solution. More posts next week (hopefully).

regards

Mike

Attachments

• DSCF2392.JPG
    623.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1250.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    616.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1259.JPG
    919 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2974.JPG
    788.1 KB · Views: 3

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
34014 Budleigh Salterton (re-built)

I'd love one of these on my fleet..

Did they ever make it to Stratford in 1946 ?  :))

JB.

28ten

Guv'nor

Scale7JB said:

JB.
You are modelling the wrong railway  :))
Im looking forward to seeing this, its on my list :)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Scale7JB said:

JB.

Hi JB, according to The Power of the Bulleid Light Pacifics, 34059 was on the GE from 27.04.49 to 30.05.49 and returned 08.05.51 together with 34057/65/76 & 89 as replacements for the Britannia which had been suffering with mechanical problems - all were back on Southern Region metals by May 1952. Needless to say, all were still in air-smoothed casing condition.

Hope that helps. I understand that David Andrews (maker of this kit) is planning to bring out the 'original condition' version at some stage in the near future.

regards

Mike

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

That's looking great Mike :bowdown: :bowdown:

Does he do a merchant navy? - cruising with P&O I wouldn't mind building an original air cooled version of Peninsular and Oriental lines as a one off.

On a completely different note how do you rate the JPL wheels?

I was speaking to them about a chassis for my next scratch build which is going to be an LNWR/LMS Beames 0-8-4 tank and JPL advertise a chassis. While I was on the phone he was trying to sell me wheels to go with it but at almost twice as much as Slaters I wondered if they were worth it so to speak?

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Rob,

He does the re-built MN (so do MOK) not sure whether the 'original' is planned or not but might be worth giving David a call - a great bloke to chat to over the phone - 01242 672744.

JPL wheelsets are very good, the insulation is on the rim as oposed to cutting throgh the spokes 'a la Walsall' the centre crankpin has a boss on it for the return crank to fit onto, so no guessing etc. They are more than Slaters, but not as expensive as AGH  and in my opinion, look much better than Slaters - no shinny rims and treads. Again, Dave Brooks (JPL) is a great guy and is very approachable. At the end of the day, it's another 'pay your money ....................etc' Good luck with the Beames.

regards

Mike

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Ressaldar said:
Dave Brooks (JPL) is a great guy and is very approachable. At the end of the day, it's another 'pay your money ....................etc' Good luck with the Beames.

regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, I did get that impression. By coincidence I spoke to him on the phone on Wednesday then saw him in the flesh at Keighley. He had the chassis of a super D on display that had the LNWR wheels on it and they certainly did look good.

I think that getting a milled chassis and rods will take a lot of the pain from the Beames. Iain Young at Sanspariel is sorting out some castings for me. But as a fall back I think that JPL do at least some of them, if Iain cannot supply them (he didn't know for certain what he had left when I spoke to him just before Telford).

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Having returned from our trip down South on Sunday afternoon - very good run, hardly any traffic, I started thinking about the next task on the Bulleid - the spectacle plates - and being informed in the instructions that 'the cab is the most important part' I was not looking forward too much to getting the iron going on Monday morning! However, come Monday morning and having collected and read the paper, the phone rang to say that my Uncle (who is to be presented with the model on Christmas Eve) had been admitted to hospital early Saturday morning having suffered a suspected stroke! Needless to say that all modelling was forgotten and I spent the afternoon visiting him and then later bringing him home - it being diagnosed as a very mild stroke.

So, today, I eventually made it into the workshop, switched everything on, donned my apron and set to. The plates went in without too much bother - just very fiddle to a) get them into position to mark off and b) to then work out how to hold them in position to apply the iron - thank goodness for Blue-tack. Any way, after a few dabs of 70deg solder at the ends, and a good cleaning up session, we're there.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.JPG
    967.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1283.JPG
    646.7 KB · Views: 4

28ten

Guv'nor

That looks quite a tricky part to get right, Im really looking forward to seeing this moving on.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

certainly glad I had a think about it first. Hopefully will have a more productive day tomorrow.

regards

Mike

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

There is some very clever metal forming on that cab Mike  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:, I don't suppose I will ever get round to it, but it would be nice to have some ex-Southern/BR  steam to run Withercombe in the late 50's/60's era..........anyway enough daydreaming from me & keep up the good work Mike  :thumbs:

Phill  :wave:

G

Graham Powell

Lovley jubbly!. That cab looks tricky. Only ever built one and that was Acorn MN Pacific. It turned out quite well. I understand that Ron Chaplin is retiring.
rgds
Graham Powell

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Graham,

it needed at least ten fingers, all in the cab at the same time, even though there was only just room for one! thank God for Bluetack.

Some more progress in that the smokebox has been rivetted, rolled and epoxied to the boiler and left to set and then that assembly epoxied at the rear and soldered to the saddle at the front. All went well enough but went even better when I filed a chamfer across the bottom edge of the firebox where it met the cab/footplate join! Then the fun realy began when the whole lot was offered up to the chassis and it could not be seated at the cab end due to the chassis sides needing to have a rebate formed adjacent to the cross member carrying the retaining nut (a mod since confirmed by David Andrews) Now all looks to be ok, so back onto productive work on Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_1290.JPG
    571.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1291.JPG
    587.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1294.JPG
    708.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1295.JPG
    691.2 KB · Views: 5
G

Graham Powell

Hi Mike, Looks good. Never built one with a resin boiler. Nothing against it but I'm such a dipstick at times I am liable to use the boiler as a soldering iron rest!.
The thing that puts me off a Bullied is that clasp brake gear. One day I shall have to bit the bullet as I would like to scratch build one.....
rgds
Graham Powell

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Graham,

understand your position re the resin, it seems to take the epoxy well for attaching the brass. David Andrews took the stance that as there are so many 'humps, bumps and other shapes' involved, it was the prefered option to both brass and whitemetal. I have also contacted David regarding the positioning of the footplate bracket on the RHS between the middle and rear drivers, as it appears to be just supporting thin air. I'm currently wading through my books to see just where it 'founds'. The black lead hanging out of the back is the pick-up wire to be attached to the tender, as I'm using the American style of pick-up.

regards

Mike

G

Graham Powell

Hi Mike,
When I built Port Line for a customer I could not find out where the whistle went!. After scouring various books I did find it. It goes into like a recesss on the boiler with a little bracket supporting one end. I've just seen a model of an engine with the reverser nearly on the tender. Must have been a difficult thing to drive - open regulator and then walk back onto the tender to alter the cut off!!!. Also seen vac pipes at the ends of the buffer beams as well but thats another story. Some people never look at photographs. rgds
Graham :wave: :thumbs: ;D

7mmMick

Western Thunderer

Hi Mike,

The build is coming on leaps and bounds and I must say looks great, I love the light pacifics and would love to build one at some point, although I don't think many got as far north as the East Riding  ;D Thoruoghly enjoyed working on 92 squadron ( on the NYMR ) but that enclosed cab gets very hot in the summer !! Are you going to have working steam operated fire hole doors??

Best reagrds Mick 

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Mick,

in a word,  :eek: :eek: initialy, it will be a static model (albeit motorised and ready to go) as it is an Diamond Wedding Anniversary present for an Aunt and Uncle - might reconsider if it comes back to me in the future ;D ;D ;D

regards

Mike

G

Graham Powell

Hi Mike, I'm lining out a City of Truro for the widow of a deceased and much missed friend. It will only ever sit in a glass case but I'm tempted to have the motor and gearbox out of it. Would this be sacriligious?. I could find a more useful place for aforementioned motor....
rgds
Graham Powell