QCAD - Dimensioning problem.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi All,

This is the first time I've needed to add dimensions to a drawing, vertical dimensioning works fine, but the horizontal dimensions either don't appear, or if they do, they appear on the line being dimensioned. Any pointers, Please.

Thanks

michael080

Western Thunderer
Phil,

could it be that the dimension line is drawn in a plane perpendicular to the screen? Happens all the time in solidworks.

Michael

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Phil,

Select the horizontal line you wish to dimension. Click the cursor at the start and draw along to the end and click the cursor again, this will give you the measurement. Then move your mouse either up or down and this will move the measurement line. Click again to set the position.

Ian

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Ian, that is what I have been trying to do, works ok, doing the verticals, but is being very temperamental trying to do the horizontal dimensions. Next time, I have a go, I will try and get a screen shot.

Thanks all.

GrahamMc

Western Thunderer
Ian, that is what I have been trying to do, works ok, doing the verticals, but is being very temperamental trying to do the horizontal dimensions. Next time, I have a go, I will try and get a screen shot.

Thanks all.
Hi Phil, I haven't used Qcad in a while but playing about with it now the only way I can get it to create a 'fault' in the horizontal but not the vertical is to access the dimension tool through the left hand side bar and try to create dimensions from there. If I have the horizontal dimension box highlighted I will only get horizontal dimensions, if vertical only vertical dimensions. Any attempt to get a measurement on the wrong setting gets me a '0' value.
I suspect I'm misunderstanding something and you know all this so I'll apologise now for stating what you probably think is the obvious!

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Graham,

That is the method that I have been using, click the relevant icon on the left, click the line end icon and then attempt to produce the relevant dimension. Vertical dimensions work as expected, but horizontal dimensions fail, not tried again since my 1st post, its either been to hot or other events have got in the way.

Thanks.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
As promised, a screenshot of what is happening. Please see the bottom left item, I cannot pull the 20mm dimension up or down, it will only sit on the line, if I pull and click it, it doesn't show at all.

QCAD dim.png

Hi Phil,
I noticed the End Snap option is highlighted in your screenshot.
The way I can replicate your problem is to deliberately click the End option in the Snap menu, or click the following icon on the side menu when you have selected the dimension tool.
Having the Snap option set to Auto allows he dimension to be moved away from the origin line.

Might work?

Mike
Image1.jpg