Re: GOG - Telford 2011 - 3/4th September.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
GOG - Telford 2011 - 3/4th September.

Yeah -'tis true, I had a long chat with him as I was intending to modify one of his kits to DS35, the Eastleigh crane.  Thankfully the DJB kit for DS37 turned up (which I forgot, but now realise is the Salisbury crane) so now I need to find out about the support vehicles for the Salisbury crane!  The Sanspareil kit did look well though.

And thankfully with the layout set at the bottom end of the MSWJR, either the Salisbury or Eastleigh crane will be fine...

To make it work is another matter and yes, I will be talking to Brian Clapperton as soon as I get the chance!  I have got half an idea about how to get a DCC decoder to drive the thing.  It'll need a goodly number of high-performance motors however it's done!

Steph

Dog Star

Western Thunderer

Steph Dale said:
I have got half an idea about how to get a DCC decoder to drive the thing.  It'll need a goodly number of high-performance motors however it's done!

Just one decoder?  I think that there might need to be several, dependent upon the number of motors within the structure.  How many motors are you considering and for what functions?

Graham

ant31117

Western Thunderer

I really enjoyed the show, and it was great to say hello to several members of the blue brigade off this forum, cheers chaps!  :wave:

I unintentionally ended up with a parcels train, having bought a secondhand Bachmann Mark1 BG, a nicely built Slaters SR Utility van that just needs a blue repaint, and a new MTH (ex-'SMR & Concept') LMS parcels van that will also need painting blue, although dare I say it does look good in BR maroon!  The packs of four LMS coaches (three opens and the van) for £430 were selling like hot cakes, two packs sold while I was stood there.  The trader, Andy Duncan, said the coaches were a pain to get hold of and MTH couldn't seem to give two hoots for the British market, which is a shame because a while back they were rumoured to be planning some BR mark 1s which I'm sure would fly off the shelves for that price.

Despite spending 6 hours at the show I ran out of time to see everything properly, although most of the time I was looking at trade stands or talking to the demonstrators.  For me as a newcomer to the scale, I could have easily filled another day at the show, but on the Sunday I had a date with a blue 50 on the North Wales coast! 8)

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer

I had a great time as usual, but with so much to see and do, I forgot about the Saturday meet and only caught a little of the Sunday one! :-[

I bumped into Pugsley and his dad and had some interesting conversations about Class 37s and 3D software.  With Cynric's recent interest in 1/32" scale, I was able to relieve him of a couple of unwanted 7mm kits - a Slater’s BR 12T van and a JLTRT Presflo.  I also bought a copy of Gordon Gravett's new book on making deciduous trees.  Having had a chance to read this yesterday, I can say it's brilliant and well worth a place on your bookshelves!  :thumbs:

I took up Richard's (Dikitriki), kind offer to visit Heyside after the show on Saturday and was very impressed with what I saw.  Other Thunderers present were Phill, Ross, Rob, S7JB and his dad.  Also there was Tony Geary who some of you may know from the "other place" (Dibateg).  The names of the other Heyside boys escape me now, but we all had a great time and I too would like to say a big thank you to Richard, his wife Linda, Tony's wife (Lesley?) and Susie for their hospitality and the excellent spread they laid on.  :thumbs:

On the Sunday, I succumbed to another JLTRT kit, this time a Fruit D, which I'll be doing in blue to keep my (as yet unfinished!), Slater's PMV company.  Whilst partaking of some refreshments with Cynric, Rob came and joined us.  He did look a little delicate after the previous evening’s alcohol session and I hope we weren't speaking too loudly!  Nice to see you though Rob and looking forward to some workbench output from you soon.  :)

Regards

Dan

Dikitriki

Flying Squad

Dan Randall said:
With Cynric's recent interest in 1/32" scale, I was able to relieve him of a couple of unwanted 7mm kits - a Slater’s BR 12T van and a JLTRT Presflo. 

Regards

Dan

Ooooh, I look forward to your comments on the Presflo. I think my views are fairly well known!

Saturday was a good evening, enjoyed by all, a nice way to end the day.

Richard

28ten

Guv'nor

I couldn't face the presflo  :)) Dan I'll have a Fruit D underframe when you do it  :thumbs:

3 LINK

Western Thunderer

Dikitriki said:
Saturday was a good evening, enjoyed by all, a nice way to end the day.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I would just like to second that, I had a great time viewing Heyside and chatting away to like minded souls. And also a very big thank you to Linda for the warm welcome and lovely food and drink, it was a very memorable day.

ATB,  Martyn.  :thumbs:

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer

Dikitriki said:
Ooooh, I look forward to your comments on the Presflo. I think my views are fairly well known!

Richard

Well you can't fault the body moulding, but the underframe castings (whitemetal), are a real disappointment.  :headbang:

The same goes for the Fruit D, but one of the reasons I bought these kits was to see what could be done to impove them by way of etches and/or new castings.

It won't be for a while, but when I get around to doing something with them, I'll let you all know.  :)

Regards

Dan

djparkins

Western Thunderer

Dan Randall said:
Well you can't fault the body moulding, but the underframe castings (whitemetal), are a real disappointment.  :headbang:

The same goes for the Fruit D, but one of the reasons I bought these kits was to see what could be done to impove them by way of etches and/or new castings.

It won't be for a while, but when I get around to doing something with them, I'll let you all know.  :)

Regards

Dan

Dan -

I have the WEP Fruit D kit which has a very good body but the u/f detail & castings are a little basic so I would also be interested in whatever you do for this vehicle.

Regards,

David Parkins

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer

djparkins said:
Dan -

I have the WEP Fruit D kit which has a very good body but the u/f detail & castings are a little basic so I would also be interested in whatever you do for this vehicle.

Regards,

David Parkins

Duly noted David, but don't hold your breath!  :)

Regards

Dan