Re: Pulled the trigger on DCC - the questions start here

28ten

Guv'nor
Pulled the trigger on DCC - the questions start here

More playing this evening, I have fitted a smaller speaker and removed some material from the floor so the sound can 'escape' through the radiator grill at the front as well as downwards, and it seems to sound better. The next stage will be an ABC gearbox with a Maxon, then I can drop to a smaller decoder and start playing with a sound chamber.
Next dumb question, can I edit the sounds? as some of transitions are bugging me.

S

Simon Dunkley

28ten said:
Next dumb question, can I edit the sounds? as some of transitions are bugging me.
It depends.
If it is an ESU supplied sound, then if you buy the Lokprogrammer, yes.
If it is a custom sound captured, coded and sold by someone else, then no: it is their sound project.
If the latter (and it probably is the latter), take up your concerns with the supplier, and ask them to modify the transitions, etc., and to re-blow for you: you may be doing them a favour, as the new sound might be an improvement, and they could re-brand it as "Mk. 2".

Someone will probably say that it is possible to break into someone else's sounds, but this would be a breach of their copyright, and you might wipe all of the sounds off the decoder in trying to get into it.

28ten

Guv'nor

Thanks Simon. I will leave it for the time being as it not the final resting place for the chip. Only having experience with one chip I may be expecting too much, I will be in a better position to judge after I have a Warship done.

S

Simon Dunkley

28ten said:
Thanks Simon. I will leave it for the time being as it not the final resting place for the chip. Only having experience with one chip I may be expecting too much, I will be in a better position to judge after I have a Warship done.
When I had my D6300 chip done, there was a genuine bug with it. The problem was with the sequencing from one speed step to another.
SWD were able to fix it and re-blow the chip, which was completed by return of post.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer

There is the odd bug in any product and I must admit I've always been impressed with what the ESU decoder family is capable of; for a start the running is superb and very quiet.  Usually re-blowing the sound profile sorts out any issues.

The fun really starts with the LokProgrammer though. ;-)  Because the industry is still in the 'whizz-bang, what a novelty' phase of DCC+s technology the vast majority of off the shelf decoder sound profiles aren't exactly subtle (have you heard the Golden Age A4; whoops!).  On the locos we've done more recently we've got steam locos which notch up and down, coast, automatic blowers and air pumps (LBSCR=Westinghouse brake) and goodness knows what else.  The trick we found was to set them up so they're just about audible at about a metre away.

And the diesels?  Well, there's no off the shelf recording of 11001 for a start and it must be admitted that diesel engines with whistles rather than horns take some getting used to.  That loco has prototypical high/low speed ranges, gear shift noises (including the rev/pitch change on the engine) and coast too.  If done well I do genuinely believe that DCC+s can add enormously to the driving experience.  When I've finished drawing the parts it'll have a rotating fan and probably some cab lighting too, but that's another story.

At that point I'll cut the pretention and also add that it's good fun and always puts a smile on my face: that's what a hobby is about.

Steph

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer

Steph Dale said:
On the locos we've done more recently we've got steam locos which notch up and down, coast, automatic blowers and air pumps (LBSCR=Westinghouse brake) and goodness knows what else.

We have also managed to achieve the same effect with diesel electric locos eliminating the use of the 'notching' up and down function in 'normal' service.

I've yet to try this with the V200 sound which I intend installing in a Fleischmann HO Warship once I have replaced the drive system with an all axle version and titivated the body.

Dave

D1054

Western Thunderer

Yorkshire Dave said:
We have also managed to achieve the same effect with diesel electric locos eliminating the use of the 'notching' up and down function in 'normal' service.

I've yet to try this with the V200 sound which I intend installing in a Fleischmann HO Warship once I have replaced the drive system with an all axle version and titivated the body.

Dave
Now that sounds an interesting project, Dave - I look forward to seeing some photos and progress reports on that (and a short Youtube sound/video perhaps?) :drool:

Simon

Flying Squad

Hope this is right place to put this:

Steph dropped in to the shop yesterday and very kindly helped me consider and understand my DCC options for my new SW digital chip and speakers for my D6319. I have accordingly just bought off ebay a Roco Multimaus for a starting set up, I really have to have all those lovely noises available asap...

Steph was also very helpful in regard to understanding how best to build the speakers into the bodywork,  I have two 40mm speakers and am going to try starting their installation sooner rather than later.

Hopefully pictures will follow.

PS Steph (or anyone), sorry I forgot, do I wire the two speakers in parallel or series?

Simon

BEEEEE - BARPPPP :))

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer

Simon,

Generally in series and in phase (both drivers move in/out together).  It makes for a quieter installation, better bass and presents an easier load to the decoder (which keeps it cooler and more reliable).

Have fun  ;)  ;D

Steph

28ten

Guv'nor

Right another question  :D I have successfully installed a sound chip in the 105 and performance seems ok at all speeds apart from dead slow when the motor (ABC Maxon) seems to pulse on and off I guess this something in the CV's?  Steph?!  :))

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer

What's the decoder Cynric?  LokSound?  If so, v3.5, v4 or XL?

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
Loksound V4
Righto - I just wanted to refer you to the correct page in the manual!  It might be worth jumping straight to the table at the bottom of p40 and loading the values given for a Trix or Faulhaber motor (should be good enough for Maxon) and seeing how you get on.  There's also a Motor Control CV programming routine in section 11 (p39) which is worth looping through if the given values don't work.

You'll have less trouble than if you were using a Canon or one of the better Mashima (or equivalent) 'cans' as there doesn't seem to be an equivalent motor in the table - nor either for top-flight coreless types like the big Escaps I tend to use.

I hope that helps - it's not a simple one, but the results make it worth playing.  Oh and don't be surprised if you need different values for each motor/model.

Steph

28ten

Guv'nor

Right, I will try and read the manual tomorrow  :eek: I can't even change the volume with the Lenz yet so I might be some time  :)).  I just haven't played with settings, the 03 was spot on first time.

28ten

Guv'nor

You are quite right there is a section on p 39 and it mentions CV 52 for slow speed running.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad

I've printed off pages 39 and 40 and they seem very well written.

We'll play with the settings when you get here, Cynric, it won't take long. At least, if it works quickly it wont ;D

Richard

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
Thanks Steph  :thumbs: that seemed to work  ;D

Good oh! I was just beginning to wonder whether I'd need to take a stroll over to Simon's shop with the SPROG in tow.  Before you finalise the installation though - I think I've worked out a scheme for a directional horn.  Which specific version of the decoder are you using?  Are you using the decoder for anything other than drive and sounds.  Internal/external lighting, etc?

Steph

28ten

Guv'nor

Steph Dale said:
Good oh! I was just beginning to wonder whether I'd need to take a stroll over to Simon's shop with the SPROG in tow.  Before you finalise the installation though - I think I've worked out a scheme for a directional horn.  Which specific version of the decoder are you using?  Are you using the decoder for anything other than drive and sounds.  Internal/external lighting, etc?

Steph
No just drive and sounds, Im sure a little tweaking of CV's might be in order later but the difference was night and day. I was very pleased with the placing of the speaker between the engines - the engine sound comes from the right source  :)) There are still a couple more pickups to connect, but performance was satisfactory even with a rigid power bogie, which is  an endorsement of either my power bogie or Richards tracklaying  :))