Reading 0-gauge Trade Show Dec 6 2014

adrian

Flying Squad
It's the 1 B/C initially. He had one to handle, and very nice it looks, with the bottom curve of the tank being a brass casting.
Sounds like the same arrangement as the tanks on his Std4 tank. I had doubts about blending in the side sheets but it works out quite well. You need to make doubly sure that the castings are clean and square. In the casting process a couple of the Std 4 tank castings warped a bit so needed careful straightening before use. once soldered up then a bit of confidence is in order to attack it with a nice large 12" flat file to blend in the side sheet with the casting.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Sounds like the same arrangement as the tanks on his Std4 tank. I had doubts about blending in the side sheets but it works out quite well. You need to make doubly sure that the castings are clean and square. In the casting process a couple of the Std 4 tank castings warped a bit so needed careful straightening before use. once soldered up then a bit of confidence is in order to attack it with a nice large 12" flat file to blend in the side sheet with the casting.
Adrain, that might work for the Std 4 but not for a 9F tender which are riveted. trying to blend that in and preserve the riveting will be a nightmare I suspect.

adrian

Flying Squad
Adrain, that might work for the Std 4 but not for a 9F tender which are riveted. trying to blend that in and preserve the riveting will be a nightmare I suspect.
Quite true but I suspect a man of your calibre will be able to do it.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Quite true but I suspect a man of your calibre will be able to do it.
You over rate my calibre by some significant margin;), well you would if you'd seen my recent desperations with this A3 regarding rivets and blending platework in!

Once the rivets are punched it's a horrible nightmare to try and get any plate work smooth or blended in. I think in this instance I'd probably tack weld the side on or even stick on with thin double sided tape and then blend in, remove side, rivet and then re-fix correctly and hope the final blending doesn't damage the rivets too much.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
I too had an excellent day out, with many new faces added. Bad news about the tender as I am building 002. I think there will be more than enough work to keep me occupied while I wait for the 1G; Dave knows that I need the 1G.

My most expensive purchase was three bags of Heike Flor to finish off the overgrowth on The ARSE. Now that I have found another source, I can put a block on the Blackwells, the UK importer, who insist on customers having 'an account' so that they can send weekly e-mails on doll's house stock:rant:. Also got a couple of Peartree wagon wheel sets to compare with Slaters. At the moment the Peartree win hands down as they come set to the correct back to back. I also found some packs of different thickness copper wire so that I can try to improve my backheads. I suppose I'll have to try lubricator pipes:eek:.

Very good to see Steph and Laurie's reactions. I'm sure Steph will let on about what we are up to soon........

Simon

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
It's the 1 B/C initially. He had one to handle, and very nice it looks, with the bottom curve of the tank being a brass casting.

Richard

Drat and double drat! Wish I'd seen it, but I was too busy drooling over the Ivatt 2-6-0 to notice anything else!

Nice to catch up with everyone again, plus put some new faces to names. :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Drat and double drat! Wish I'd seen it, but I was too busy drooling over the Ivatt 2-6-0 to notice anything else!

Dan

I've run out of Ivatt drool with the Heyside triumvirate:)

On a serious note, I thought that the Ivatt was a very difficult prototype to do a kit for with all the exposed pipework etc and lack of clearances, and never expected such a good kit to be available for it. I think Dave has done a quite brilliant job with it. I have the 76 rather than an Ivatt, and I'm really looking forward to doing that.

Richard

Jon Fitness

Western Thunderer
Spent the first 2 hours there happily chatting to various people, took a big order for some signals and ended up spending way too much at the Scale Signal Supply stall! My Missus makes up the couplings for Premier Components; we'd given him a big batch on the Thursday ready for the show and he'd given us a big bag of bits at the same time. By the time I came down on Saturday, she had completed the order and I was able to deliver it on arrival. By early afternoon, not only had thursdays batch been sold but 3/4 of what I delivered that day had gone too. Every stall I called at seemed busy which was nice to see. Peter at SSS was nearly cleaned out of kits by the time I got there and had to make some up from the "bits" drawers behind the stall.
Came home with loads of bits/materials/tools after a busy day but a 4 hour train journey each way on packed trains made it a long day too.
JF

adrian

Flying Squad
My most expensive purchase was three bags of Heike Flor to finish off the overgrowth on The ARSE. Now that I have found another source, I can put a block on the Blackwells, the UK importer,
A link or pointer would be appreciated if possible - I may need a supplier for a New Year Project.
Very good to see Steph and Laurie's reactions. I'm sure Steph will let on about what we are up to soon........
sounds intriguing - we'll see who lets the cat out of the bag first - or should this be the WT Christmas competition!

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
For got to say that while I was talking to Dave Sharp I asked him about his idea of doing a Britannia, he said he would like to do one, just got to send him the website of those pictures that Mickoo sent me.

Len

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Okay, on the grounds of my personal amusement; Steph says 'yes'. The clues are scattered liberally around WT.
No prizes, other than the glory!
Knock yourselves out...:eek::D

Steph

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
For got to say that while I was talking to Dave Sharp I asked him about his idea of doing a Britannia, he said he would like to do one, just got to send him the website of those pictures that Mickoo sent me.

Len

It is really useful to know what kit manufacturers are thinking about producing.

The DJH Britannia does look nice, but I would have thought something from MOK would be up there with the best.

Clan or Duke anyone ;)

Dave

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
The DJH Brit is showing its age, I've just done one and have another to do. The boiler casting is badly pitted,
Just taken delivery of a 47 for myself and that is even worse, a bit of time with celly filler and wet and dry will sort it but with not much change out of £500 I don't think I should have to do correction work:rant:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
The DJH Brit is showing its age, I've just done one and have another to do. The boiler casting is badly pitted,
Just taken delivery of a 47 for myself and that is even worse, a bit of time with celly filler and wet and dry will sort it but with not much change out of £500 I don't think I should have to do correction work:rant:
The Ragstone Britannia was probably the best kit out there, since withdrawn and being updated I believe, the DJH as you note is a little tired and as someone once said here "a touch agricultural in the chassis area" The jury is still sort of out on the Seven models, I've looked in the box and the etchings look clean enough, whether it all fits well maybe another story. A MOK 9F I can probably walk by, a MOK Britannia I seriously doubt I'll be able to resist, one possibly even two.

DJH 47, yes, but it's still the best shaped 47 out there I feel.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
I agree te DJH 47 is the best one out there for the front end shape. Sadly though the moulds are now past their best and the main castings need a fair bit of filling to get the best out of them. It does pay tobuy the kit when they first come out and the moulds are still fresh.

Richard