7mm Rob Pulham's Work Bench - Back (again) to the LNER 06 (MOK 8F)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Rob Pulham's Work Bench - Severn Finished at Last

Well done Rob, that is something that you can be really proud of :drool: :drool:

regards

Mike

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Cheers Guys.
I have just opened the box on the A3 so health permitting I plan to make a start on the tender before sorting the few bit's out on Severn (I think I need a bit of a break from it :rolleyes: )

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

I like the attention to details... especially the wooden floor in the cab - and the vacuum pipes are works of art in themselves!! :bowdown: :bowdown:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Thanks CME/Jordan,

I get the encouragement to add more detail from the wife (she's an artist so she pays attention to detail) she is constantly saying well can you do this or that and I think well I will have a go.

This is one of her recent paintings.

[attachment=0:1aag4ucs]J52 Shildon.JPG[/attachment:1aag4ucs]

Attachments

• J52 Shildon.JPG
    J52 Shildon.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 35
  • J52 Shildon.JPG
    J52 Shildon.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 34

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Jordan said:
I like the attention to details... especially the wooden floor in the cab - and the vacuum pipes are works of art in themselves!! :bowdown: :bowdown:

Chris (my wife), think's I should make some of the vacuum pipes up and flog them on eBay to help fund the modelling.
I should think making them in batches would be reasonably easy now I know how I did it, he says :scratch: .

Simon

Flying Squad

Rob, that is a really lovely model of a very appealing prototype, I would be very pleased with the result you have achieved if it were mine :thumbs:

Apologies for not replying to your pm, I have just checked and Bob Alderman's article on his scratchbuilt O gauge "Severn" was in the July 2005 issue of Railway Modeller. Happy to help out with info from if required now I've found it, its one of the RMs I'm keeping (its also got Neil Ripley's article on converting the Hornby Gresley buffet to the blue and grey version that I used to see on the WR in my spotting days)

Fantastic model, now you have to cover up your very lovely metalwork with paint!

Simon

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

John D said:
Nice one Rob....what a cracking little engine :thumbs: :thumbs:

Thanks John, much appreciated.

I just realised (after seeing some on a fret on my A3) that I haven't made any fire irons and I have a shot of the back showing a few piled up at the back of the buffer beam so another to add to the snagging jobs.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Simon said:
Rob, that is a really lovely model of a very appealing prototype, I would be very pleased with the result you have achieved if it were mine :thumbs:

Apologies for not replying to your pm, I have just checked and Bob Alderman's article on his scratchbuilt O gauge "Severn" was in the July 2005 issue of Railway Modeller. Happy to help out with info from if required now I've found it, its one of the RMs I'm keeping (its also got Neil Ripley's article on converting the Hornby Gresley buffet to the blue and grey version that I used to see on the WR in my spotting days)

Fantastic model, now you have to cover up your very lovely metalwork with paint!

Simon
Thanks for that Simon, I appreciate that you have quite a bit on and there wasn't any rush. I will have a look on good old ebay to see if I can find a copy.

I know what you mean about covering it up with paint, I rather like the brass finish but I am a bit of a magpie :D . Admittedly the etched name and works plates would fade into the background if I didn't paint it.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

I had originally planned to do it unlined blue like Jazz did as I hadn't really thought any further and about half way down this page http://www.colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/SMLS Photo gallery.html is one of the main photo's that I have been using. It doesn't really have any suggestion of lining

However since reading your post I have looked closer In another picture now there is a very faint suggestion of lining so if I can determine what colour it should be I will line it out as in this part of a photo attributed ton HC Casserley.

[attachment=0:31obhi46]Severn 002 - Copy.JPG[/attachment:31obhi46]

The reference book that this particular photo comes from is The Shropshire and Montgomeryshire Light Railway by Keith and Susan Turner. Rather confusingly it makes reference twice to locomotives (not Severn in particular) being painted in S&M Olive Green and states it was like Southern Olive green and one reference to another loco being painted like 'No 5' in blue with red lining. The fact that this photo has the suggestion of lining and there is no mention of lining in relation to the Olive green locos makes me think that Severn was in fact Blue with Red lining. Which should look rather smart I would think.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but I think yes is now the answer.

Attachments

• Severn 002 - Copy.JPG
    Severn 002 - Copy.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Severn 002 - Copy.JPG
    Severn 002 - Copy.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 63

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Further to my last post I have just read this on the Colonel Stephens society pages

"The livery on the S. & M. was almost certainly dark blue edged in black and lined in red, the standard livery of the Col. Stephens railways: this livery probably lasted until the locomotive was withdrawn in 1931."

So lined it will definitely be I might also have a go at a transfer for the company name around the Severn nameplate - I have etched plates for the name and the Railway name on the cab side.

28ten

Guv'nor

That should look smart when its done. It always suprises me that such small engines received full lining treatment, but it seems to have been commonplace

G

Graham Powell

hi Rob, Excellent piece of work. So nice to see some scratchbuilding. These old engines are much more of a challenge to build than the modern ones. There is that wonderful feeling of satisfaction having built it all yourself. You may have seen my broad gauge engines
Leo and Lalla Rookh. I am contemplating making another one as we could really do with a spare locomotive. Also looking at some very early standard gauge engines now that I've found some drawings and Slaters do suitable wheels.
Look forward to seeing more of your work.
regards
Graham Powell :wave: :thumbs:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

28ten said:
It always suprises me that such small engines received full lining treatment, but it seems to have been commonplace
I think it must've stemmed from the general ethics and values of the time; it seems people took far greater pride in everything, back 100 years ago... :scratch:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Just as I thought I had finished, when I revisited to make the few tweaks I mentioned I realised that I hadn't put the guard irons on or the sand pipes :eek: :headbang:

All now remedied and I am just about to put it back together for a test run. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Just had my first trouble free run up and down 2 yrds of track with my BG in tow. :thumbs: :thumbs:

A couple of pictures to mark the occasion.

[attachment=1:235rizbk]Severn final before paint 003.JPG[/attachment:235rizbk]

[attachment=0:235rizbk]Severn final before paint 005.JPG[/attachment:235rizbk]

I have also just realised that i haven't added any rear lamp irons DOH!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• Severn final before paint 003.JPG
    Severn final before paint 003.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Severn final before paint 005.JPG
    Severn final before paint 005.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Severn final before paint 003.JPG
    Severn final before paint 003.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Severn final before paint 005.JPG
    Severn final before paint 005.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 34

28ten

Guv'nor

Its tiny :laugh: I usually leave a build a week or so and then return to it -its amazing the things that jump out then :shock: :laugh:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
Its tiny :laugh: I usually leave a build a week or so and then return to it -its amazing the things that jump out then :shock: :laugh:

I think after this experience, that is sound advice.

G

Graham Powell

I usually get a good photograph. Study it, note down all the little details and then add them ticking them off as I go along. I nearly always end up with about 40 odd bits even when it looks nearly finished. Some items take hours others a few minutes. rgds
Graham Powell