Sams Trains upgrade

LarryG

Western Thunderer
In recent times, I have turned to 'Sams Trains' to see what he has to say about the running qualities of particular model locomotives. The tables have really turned and Sams Trains has shown an unexpected side in the latest video. It might interest WT members interested in 3D design & modelling.

Sam is designing an LBSC B1 0-4-2. I was hooked when he took wheels that were the correct diameter for the B1 and then removed the plastic centres so that he could replace them with new 3D centres to the correct LBSC profile and number of spokes. Not unsurprisingly he came across all the problems concerning clearances that modellers routinely come up against in loco building. All I can say is : Respect!

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry I have been wondering if someone would do a B1 bearing in mind the reléase of several Pre-Group models recently
John

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
There does seem to be a penchant recently for producing models of locos in the NRM.

However, it's the lack of suitable rolling stock to accompany them which is the let down.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
There does seem to be a penchant recently for producing models of locos in the NRM.

However, it's the lack of suitable rolling stock to accompany them which is the let down.
Hi Dave, I imagine the core market would simply run rtr 4- or 6-wheelers behind a 'Gladstone'. The minority (historical modellers) would adapt whatever is available or build kits.

Coaching stock has barely been tackled in rtr form. The newly announced Dapol GWR toplight coaches look on the face of it to be pretty useless unless one models the line in London for which they were designed, or to work miners trains to a South Wales colliery. But Dapol obviously know their core market will be attracted to them for whatever reasons. One comment I saw was "Wow, wow, wow". ;)