Scale7 JB Workbench.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Or the LNER version...

take-me-by-the-scotsman-652x1024.jpg

P A D

Western Thunderer
Looking at what the lad's holding, he can build and paint better than his dad!

Peter, the inside valve gear isn't as tricky as you might think, especially for a man of your skills, I think you'd be fine. Just don't try and retro fit it to a loco already built. The N7's are proving a nightmare!

Thanks JB,
I might give it a go some time if a suitable prototype comes my way.
Cheers,
Peter

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I'm desperately trying to find a picture the weathering is based on, it shows a J39 in far worse condition than I have done 'so far'!

I think the fireman has been watching the young lady in the Love Lane ticket office rather than his water level again, though saying that London water is terribly dirty, and if a washout had been missed it would cause havoc for the footplate crew.

Boiler washouts at North Weald are usually twice as often as some other railways in the UK with far kinder water.

@eastsidepilot would be proud :))

JB.

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
@eastsidepilot would be proud :))

JB.

:D.....Essex and Suffolk water is very hard and if memory serves me right I believe they had a big problem at Southend Vic, may have had a softening plant, I do know they pumped water from a reservoir at Rochford, fed by the River Roach, to Southend in the attempt to get softer water.

Carry on mullering JB :thumbs::D

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
After tlc, follows the mullering!

The fresh prime will be toned down afterwards with an airbrush.

I would leave the number wiped clean though.

Judging by the J38 photo you could probably do with a couple of black black/brown washes on the buffer beams to get the dirt trapped in the corners.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mick that was exactly the image I was looking for, I just forgot that it was a 38 and not a 39. Amusingly the image isn't quite as I remember.

Very quick search, and a K1 is always a good starting point to find an picture of a loco that's primed!

Aiming for something like this.

image.png

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I would leave the number wiped clean though.

Judging by the J38 photo you could probably do with a couple of black black/brown washes on the buffer beams to get the dirt trapped in the corners.

Long way to go on this one yet. In fact the buffer beams are fresh paint to cover the 'NE' and original '2721' running number.

Can't wait to get the airbrush out!

JB.

P A D

Western Thunderer
Hi JB,
Love the L1. Any chance of a few more photos?

I'd lend you mine, but it's narrow gauge and would fall through the rails.

Cheers,
Peter

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Hi JB,
Love the L1. Any chance of a few more photos?

I'd lend you mine, but it's narrow gauge and would fall through the rails.

Cheers,
Peter

I've always loved the L1, especially the filthy wakefield lubricator, but what about the Quint Art set sneaking in behind.......... You've kept that build quiet fellas. Is this the big reveal or do we have to wait to Warley?