Scenery & Dioramas

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
I keep reading about ”Chinchilla dust/grit” and went out to buy some to play with, and found it to be rather expensive sand. I presume this is something different?

if so, what? and do we have a brand or preferred source?
Simon, it’s finer than any sand I’ve found, and as a result of its role, soaking up Chinchilla ‘mess’ it’s slightly absorbent, which can be handy.

simond

Western Thunderer
Ah, now we have a further level of complexity. As I understand it, it is for “toilet” in the French sense, ie, cleaning and dressing, rather than any sense of “kitty litter”

apparently these curious creatures bathe in the stuff. There was a video…

ah, yes…

it astonishes me that they don’t die of silicosis

Last edited:

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Simon: I learnt about Chinchilla Dust in a book by Gordon Gravett, "Modelling Grassland and Landscape Detailing". The material responds differently according to how you fix it down, e.g. sticky gloss paint or PVA. It is a part of the armoury, to go alongside all kinds of other granular materials such as talc, ash, and crushed walnuts. I found this book helpful. The writer begins with a subject, be it a puddle or a rutted road or whatever, and then describes how to make a model of it. I found this a welcome change from the approach to scenic work I sometimes see elsewhere, this being to describe a technique and then trying to explain what the result might represent. Which never works out right.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul,
It’s fine Chinchilla grit used over PVA, sprinkled through a stocking.
I try and make sure the glue isn’t too even, I make it patchy then that’s reflected in the chinchilla layer.
Various thin colour washes were used over the top.
Hope that’s helpful.
Ahh the old Chinchilla grit , a product that is unavailable in Australia . I asked in numerous pet stores and got the same answer so settled on Pumice instead . Many thanks Neil .

paulc

Western Thunderer
There are several ways of achieving, what follows are three of the most popular methods:

1. Stippling using a short bristled brush;
2. Sponge (either hand held or clamped between tweezers;
3. Salt method.

Although a smaller area than that shown in the photos above, this was achieved using the latter of the three,and several different shades of a similar colour:

View attachment 204967

It’s shown lighter than in real life.

jonte
Many thanks Jonte , there's a couple of ideas that i hadn't thought of so will give them a try .

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Very kind of you Both.
Brian; it’s a commission, and built into a layout room. Pretty much all the model railway work I post is commission based (would love to have the time - make the time - to work on my own model projects).
This model is a year or so away from completion - possibly 18 months.
Hope to get it in the pages of the MRJ, and if I can persuade my client, one or two other publications.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Who's that lurking in the undergrowth?

Word has it, it’s @daifly on a failed ‘High and Fast’. Seen clambering from the cockpit escape hatch, his examiner together with the mangled remains of what once a de Havilland Comet, lie buried deep beneath and within the leafy undergrowth. The airfield he was aiming for is just out of shot, lying just over the background hill.

jonte ;)