1/32 Scratch Building Locos And Stock In 1/32

mickoo

Western Thunderer
You know, that ghost gets around doesn't he, I find the smaller the part or the more important the part, the quicker he strikes!. Your brave keeping them stored on your camera, I D/L the moment I get home and then the RAW and the adjusted JPGs are stored on two hard drives, one external and removed when the PC is off, call it over kill but I've seen hardware fail and loose an awful lot of info so now I take no chances :).

I'm glad your photos have dimensions, there was a risk of bining the model in an angry troll moment LOL, so much so that I put all the class 40 books away and read and researched something else last night :).

Send the images when you can, my mail box might baulk at more than 5Mb but if you let me know when your sending I can grab them fast before the next lot arrive, if they're in bundles of 5Mb or so, actually might be 10Mb in and 5Mb out on the mail box, not sure now.

Ironically I have just done a photo shoot on one of our 08s today as it was quiet at lunch time, even opened all the doors to get some detail shots inside, will load them up to my Flickr tonight or tomorrow, along with Class 60 and 66 I've taken over the years and place them in the details for modelers folder on said site. Will pick the 08 cab and other missed sundries next week, we have four or five to choose from at any one time, one of them is nearly always over the service pit, just need to tap up my man on the inside for a photo shoot around a class 70!.

Kindest

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hope you don't mind Mick but I've posted a link to your Flickr pictures in case anyone missed it before. Some great pictures there :thumbs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/

I'm looking forward to those 08 pics too. When I can build up the courage I've a MMP class 08 kit waiting to be built.

Phil, no problem at all, you just saved me the job of writing it out LOL. 08 photos are coming off the camera now ready for post editing to adjust lighting etc. You know, I sat there today and <face palm>, why struggle with locos I have limited access to when I can crawl all over these, 'officially' and get measurements and such like for modeling, granted not as spectacular as a class 40 but to get my hand back into the modeling game and re-learn techniques they're a perfect prototype to model :), and ubiquitous so will need one for any layout I can ever envisage.

Back in due course with some links :).

Kindest

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you for putting a link to the photos... two questions please:-

Where do you hide your wagon shots?
How often do you get cl37 into the terminal? (which is a thinly veiled request....

If any 37 comes your way, can you grotofaf the length of the fuel tanks, inc the ends, on both sides? Reason is for the details of the pipes,valves and odds/sods which seems to be the course for this subject. And a 360 degre coverage of the cab? Maybe letting us know the engine number might be a good idea.

thank you if you can help.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Mick, there used to be, maybe still is, a small signal box based in a portacabin on the edge of the dock. Is it still there and do you have any pictures of it?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thank you for putting a link to the photos... two questions please:-

Where do you hide your wagon shots?
How often do you get cl37 into the terminal? (which is a thinly veiled request....

If any 37 comes your way, can you grotofaf the length of the fuel tanks, inc the ends, on both sides? Reason is for the details of the pipes,valves and odds/sods which seems to be the course for this subject. And a 360 degre coverage of the cab? Maybe letting us know the engine number might be a good idea.

thank you if you can help.

I haven't hidden my wagon shots, there just not up there...yet :), I have to be a little careful with them as its blatant I'm climbing all over stock, although the terminal is closed on a Sunday, some may not know this and I really don't want the men in grey knocking on my office door at work...so to speak. I will probably upload in the next week or so but will have to add a disclaimer to each photo, i.e. taken with permission or something, but we're talking 750 pictures, mainly of all the modern liner and intermodal wagons around, but not FFA/FGA I'm afraid, just about everything else in detail though, and I do fancy my hand at some of these modern mini-liners :).

Class 37, afraid not, we don't see them anymore, used to be very popular in the 80's but replaced by 47's then dual 47's on the heavier trains, then 56's, the odd 58, some 60's a few years back but they can't cope with freightliner trains, they can pull them, no issue there, but they run out of puff at 60mph and then just become a mobile blockage on the GEML down to London or on the cross country route to Peterborough. I believe they have a 37 at the MNR and I do hope to pop up there mid week and grab some shots, these preservation places are usually very accommodating mid week and a few shekels in their xmas tin often opens doors :).

Hope that helps

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick, there used to be, maybe still is, a small signal box based in a portacabin on the edge of the dock. Is it still there and do you have any pictures of it?

Ohh now your asking, difficult to answer that, you see we have two access points to the port, the original one built way back in 1877 which arrives at Felixstowe Beach station, there was a signal box there and it was replaced by a portacabin affair for the level crossing at some time, this was removed when that crossing went AFB. Whilst I did not photography it directly, it will probably be in the back ground to some of my 35mm scans, there used to be a similar one at Trimley level crossing, again removed when that crossing went AFB.

The other entry to the port is from a spur at Trimley, this descends Clickett Hill and arrives at the Trinity terminal, there is a portacabin there but not for signaling, thats a gates mans hut, there is a busy public foot crossing here so during daylight hours we employ a staff member to watch over this and assist the public in crossing, usually the ill and lame do this, often guys who are convalescing after illness or accidents at work.

There is however a signal box on the port, simply called the box, this is buried deep inside a general two story prefab building along with crane drivers, operations crew, and freightliner staff et al. On the outside its a simple prefab building like those seen anywhere in the country :).

This http://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/4449727415/in/set-72157623672941550 is the best I can come up with at the moment, I have hundreds of 35mm negatives and pictures not even looked at or scanned, I'm sure some will show what your looking for, but finding them will take time :).

Kindest

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Phil, A quick scan through all my scanned 35mm on my HD, only a small % go on Flickr, has found these two shots, the night shot was an invite from a bored class 56 driver who saw me at the crossing with a tripod late at night LOL.

Sorry for the quality, these are some of my first scans and they all really need doing again with the new scanner and software.

56 112.jpg 56 061c.jpg Trimley Crossing.jpg

Kindest

Addendum, just found the Trimley crossing which shows the type of thing your looking for, but probably not in the detail you want.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Yep, the one in your first shot is the one I'm thinking of. You are the holy trinity of all things Felixstowe. Get it :) :)

Oh, I thought it was funny...

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
The drawings are from the 4mm scale book, scaled up and printed out in 1/32, thought there are issues with the Carter drawings regarding cant rail grill sizes and positions as well as the engine room door and window placements, correct the grills and then the windows are in the wrong place.

More fundamental problems than that I am afraid. I had to draw a 40 for one of the mags and was given a carter drawing to work from (it was for a livery diagram not something to scale). Drew one cab in illustrator, duplicated it and mirrored if for the other end only to find it didnt match the drawing at all!

Cheers

Jim

mickoo

Western Thunderer
More fundamental problems than that I am afraid. I had to draw a 40 for one of the mags and was given a carter drawing to work from (it was for a livery diagram not something to scale). Drew one cab in illustrator, duplicated it and mirrored if for the other end only to find it didnt match the drawing at all!

Cheers

Jim

Yes, the cab at one end is totally different, I redrew one and then mirrored it, but missed the height of the cab side window sill, its too high in relation to the engine room windows, or are they too low!, I don't think its the latter as I've scaled of side images, quite a few and they seem right, so need to adjust the cab area a little. There were/are issues in the water tank area, I've not yet got to study/ammend that area in detail as yet except rough corrections.

What about Monty Wells drawing in MRj ?

Never seen those, the only other one I have is by GF?, no idea where that came from, the cab side window on that looks a bit deeper.
Kindest

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Detail photo shoots here,

Class 66 phase II mostly interior shots.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/sets/72157629109130720/

Class 66 phase II mostly exterior shots.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/sets/72157629109169196/

I have more class 66 but these will suffice for the moment.

Wagons, only Mini liners today, need some sleep ready for night shift tonight! :).

Mini Liner FLA.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/sets/72157629473944973/

Mini Liner FLK.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/sets/72157629473772903/

Mini Liner WH Davis Super Low45, quiet rare these, not many in service I believe, very complicated structure.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/sets/72157629474057125/

Mini Liner RIV AAE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/sets/72157629109641236/

Mini Liner RIV AAEC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/sets/72157629109723994/

Still to come, pocket, spine and standard liners

Hope that helps someone.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Ok back to the Class 40, stripped off the old nose and re- designed the core structure, re skinned and for a primary skin its not too shabby, the bonnet curve seems to have gone awol where the second mans screen will be but that can be smoothed out before the final skin goes on. Not sure about the nose curve (where the nose door goes) or the nose corner radii, will mull them over for a while, mind too late now to do anything other than mild titivation. The bonnet edge will be rounded off when all the skins are in place, easier to do it that way that try to bend a skin around that sharp radius.

IMG_1644a.JPG IMG_1642a.JPG IMG_1643a.JPG

Kindest

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Mick I have not forgotten about the pictures I have taken them and they are an the SD card the printer is up and running but won't read the memory card it will read another smaller capacity one time to buy a card reader I think or new leads which ever is the cheaper