Some Pics For Jordan ( US O Gauge )

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I saw this very nice US O gauge layout at today's Pontefract show & I thought it may be of interest to Jordan & anyone else who likes them  :thumbs:

Attachments

• 29012011276.jpg
    29012011276.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 29012011261.jpg
    29012011261.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 29012011251.jpg
    29012011251.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 29012011250.jpg
    29012011250.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 29012011249.jpg
    29012011249.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 29012011247.jpg
    29012011247.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
That's lovely.. especially the second shot with the war bonnets.. are they war bonnets or was that just the name used by Union Pacific ?

JB.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
JB,

'F-unit' would be a bit more apposite.  The phrase 'War Bonnet' is used to describe the red and bare metal livery worn by some of the Santa Fe's F-units...

Either way, it's a lovely layout and you can't really beat an F-unit, in any livery!

Steph

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Steph Dale said:
... you can't really beat an F-unit, in any livery!
I'll second that... :thumbs:

Nicely weathered models; Did they have all those awful sound effects as well like the bell that goes dingdingdingdingdingdingding...... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :))
Actually I also thought how difficult it is to get a handle on the size of the things just from a photograph. Even with that chap in the distance behind the backscene, without being told which scale this is I'd have a job to guess correctly. :scratch: I'm not sure if that says more about me than the layout... :-[  :( ;D

Re "Warbonnet"; this pic shows the Classic Red version and the Yellow variation, that IIRC was supposed to be the "Freight" version. The general style was used on other engines besides F-Units, and can still be seen today....

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I would guess that the layouts scenic section is about 20ft by 4ft, there were non of the dodgy sounds you mention, but the layout (which is called Flemingsburg Junction)was operated with full DCC sound  8)

Phill  :wave:

D1054

Western Thunderer
Jordan said:
Did they have all those awful sound effects as well like the bell that goes dingdingdingdingdingdingding...... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :))

I popped into Pontefract first thing this morning... and "yes", the bells, the bells! :headbang: :headbang:  They were there all right, but the sound was set quite low and was drowned out later as the day wore on by the general hubub :D

Was quite well attended, and some very nice "professional" layouts on view too.

Flemingsburg picked up the award for best overseas layout...... and well deserved too IMHO.

B

Badger

Love the layout and the Loco's can some one tell me what types they are and where I can get some?

Regards
Bob

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Rather embarrassingly, as I bang on here so much about the Dark Side, I'm actually not all that hot at U.S. Loco recognition... :-[ ??? :vista: ... beyond F-Units, of course... ;D

Picture 1; Alco, probably RS-3 (Road Switcher)

Picture 2; EMD F-Units, F9A (with cab) and F9B (cabless booster). You can tell they're F9 from the louvres along the bodyside (5 sets on an F9)... sorry am I boring anyone yet? :))

Pictures 3, 4 & 5; Either an Alco or Baldwin of some sort (round cab roof) leading an EMD unit, which is an SD  type - "SD" for Special Duty or more easily it has 6-wheel trucks; "GP" or General Purpose have 4-wheel trucks... SD-what I'm not sure, though :-[
I'm not really up on Alcos and Baldwins as the Soo Line only tried a few of each make and they were so unreliable the Soo stuck with EMD. 8)

These models are probably mostly Atlas, although the F-Units might be P&D Hobby.
In the UK try Jason Dickie of Quince Valley Designs, although I'm not sure if his Email is working properly; a couple I sent him recently got returned "undeliverable", and I haven't got around to phoning yet.... ::)

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Bob, the third pic the two locos are a GE U-23B or U-30B leading an EMD SDP-35 (I think in both cases!)

I can't tell exactly which version of the U-Boat it is as the picture isn't clear enough to make out how many engine room doors there are.  The SDP-35 is petty distinctive if you know your EMD diesels: the 'SD' means it's 6-axle, the 'P' means it's passenger (the boiler compartment is at the end of the long hood) and the 35-line units can be told by the two 48" fans seperated by a 36" fan on the top of the cooler group...

I suspect that Jordan is right about the origin of the models, but the U-boat could be a Gilmaur brass kit...

The

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Ian,

GE's 'Universal' series locos (the 'U' in the type designation) are widely known as U-boats in the US.

Not to be confused with Romanian-built East German class 119 diesel hydraulics, Southern Railway U class 2-6-0s or even (horrors!), boats...  ;) :))

Steph

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I thought you were on about the 'torpedo' wagons, there is far too much of a nautical theme a'boat' this thread perhaps we should be renamed Western Flotilla :)) :))

Ian

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Oh blimey Ian, now you've started it...

A 'Torpedo Boat' is (generally, in US railroading) a passenger 4-axle EMD unit.  So called because the air reservoirs on the roof look rather like the tubes that PT boats had.  The 'tubes' ending up on the roof as their underframe space was taken with water tanks for the train heating boiler.

See?  A mind full of c"$£

Steph (anorak still rustlin')

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Thanks for the clarifications, Steph; must admit I'd forgotten about GE; I was going to say 'U-Boat' but couldn't remember what make they were (another type the Soo tried that failed dismally...), and I was unaware of the "P" version of SD - I wondered what the long-hood extension was!!
Learn something every day.... :scratch:

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Steph Dale said:
I suspect that Jordan is right about the origin of the models, but the U-boat could be a Gilmaur brass kit...

The

Ah - I remember it well!!!

Takes me back to 1982 when I did the etching artwork for that U-Boat kit for them.  A steam-powered drawing board back in those days of course!

Regards,

David Parkins,
Modern Motive Power

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
djparkins said:
Ah - I remember it well!!!

Takes me back to 1982 when I did the etching artwork for that U-Boat kit for them.  A steam-powered drawing board back in those days of course!

Regards,

David Parkins,
Modern Motive Power
David,
And by all accounts a lovely kit.  I've seen a couple made up and they always look the part.  If I was modelling US 0 it would be on the shortlist...

CME,
Yep - and decided that describing the 'U' 2-6-0s as 'U boats' was a modern invention...
Steph

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Steph Dale said:
And by all accounts a lovely kit.  I've seen a couple made up and they always look the part.  If I was modelling US 0 it would be on the shortlist...
There's one here on Ebay right now if you're interested ;D ... I can recommend the Seller. ;)