HO Stutzendorf.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
May I introduce fellow modellers to Stutzendorf - my new project. My original idea was to have a DRG branch terminal in the late thirties/ early forties. I opted for a Br93 2-8-2T for my initial motive power and ended up getting a Liliput one, which of course was the former OBB 378 class, absorbed into the DRG following the German Anschluss in 1938. I had been aware that Roco did the Prussian version which was the DRG Br93 but one was not available within my price range. This caused a bit of a re-think on my part as I had originally intended to base my freelance model in the Rhineland, but the going for the somewhat different loco seemed to indicate the former Austro-German border area instead!

However, this just meant a little more research and as my recent health problems have meant more visits to NHS establishments and reduction in activities, it was probably more therapeutic than might at first be thought. I now have the scheme more or less planned and it will be more of a diorama than a full blown layout . The period itself could trouble some people. As far as I am concerned,model railways are not political and serve more as perhaps misty reflections of history, so I have no trouble in making this a selective view of that time. Followers of my Pence East Goods will know that is WW2 based and such activities have representation, but although Stutzendorf is in that early period I am choosing not represent the conflict in this diorama.

The baseboard is made - supplies of track and scenic effects are to hand, so it would seem an assembly job is on hand. Just give me a little time to clear this health check business and I'll report of progress as it starts. As mentioned, I have the Br 93 and some coaches, so once the track I get some track down........, :) !

Roger ;).

jonte

Western Thunderer
Reassuring to read, Roger.

Perhaps a slight nod in the direction of the ‘second conflict’: one or two Great Escapers covertly attempting to board a local train on their way to Switzerland? :thumbs:

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
It occurred to me that you might like to know that progress is being gently made for this venture. Hobby time has been extremely limited due to a series of visits to various outposts of the NHS for tests to assess the prospects of health improving treatment - further consultations are to come! Notwithstanding, I have acquired sufficient basic stock for what is intended to be merely a diorama with a working railway sooner than a full-blown layout. I have a track layout in mind - I regret my lack of skill prevents my posting any form of drawing but with a bit of luck, next time round will have pictures and the proposed simple terminal will be visible in one form or another. Just bear with me, guys, as I am under strict instructions to take things very easy for the moment.

The whole principle of this build is to do it on the KISS principle, using as much of the material have to hand from previous H0 layouts. I must confess I am frequently surprised by some of the items I am unearthing - things that had been totally forgotten, but at some previous time put away in case they came in useful again :rolleyes:! Added to these 'finds' I have acquired a DR Br 80 0-6-0T, more familiar perhaps as a shunter, but used for short haul work too, which nicely covers the use on the branch to Stutzendorf. This plus some goods vehicles to serve the lines industries should keep me out of mischief.

That is about it for a progress (or lack thereof) report but hopefully brighter news very soon - with pictures :eek:!!!

Roger ;)

jonte

Western Thunderer
It occurred to me that you might like to know that progress is being gently made for this venture. Hobby time has been extremely limited due to a series of visits to various outposts of the NHS for tests to assess the prospects of health improving treatment - further consultations are to come! Notwithstanding, I have acquired sufficient basic stock for what is intended to be merely a diorama with a working railway sooner than a full-blown layout. I have a track layout in mind - I regret my lack of skill prevents my posting any form of drawing but with a bit of luck, next time round will have pictures and the proposed simple terminal will be visible in one form or another. Just bear with me, guys, as I am under strict instructions to take things very easy for the moment.

The whole principle of this build is to do it on the KISS principle, using as much of the material have to hand from previous H0 layouts. I must confess I am frequently surprised by some of the items I am unearthing - things that had been totally forgotten, but at some previous time put away in case they came in useful again :rolleyes:! Added to these 'finds' I have acquired a DR Br 80 0-6-0T, more familiar perhaps as a shunter, but used for short haul work too, which nicely covers the use on the branch to Stutzendorf. This plus some goods vehicles to serve the lines industries should keep me out of mischief.

That is about it for a progress (or lack thereof) report but hopefully brighter news very soon - with pictures :eek:!!!

Roger ;)
Good news, Roger.

Standing by ;)

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Fellow enthusiasts - this is an apology for absence on this thread of late. This is due in the main to the discovery of an aortic aneurysm in my ageing frame and the subsequent series of investigations , tests and the multiple visits to various NHS clinics and centres over the recent period. The result is that I am not sufficiently fit for surgery and my main pump has been revealed to require a review - well I did have a by-pass twenty years ago, so I mustn't grumble on that score. This referral is , I believe, in the system but of course will take time, things being what they are. Well, that's the reason, so I hope you will continue to bear with me and understand the further restrictions additionally to those of age with which it has blessed me. :rolleyes:

To Stutzendorf. Some further progress has been made and the decision to lengthen the baseboard by some fourteen inches taken and is 90% finished - just one remaining modest section of plywood surfacing to fit and fix, in fact :). Acquisition of stock is now about as complete as I need and I append a couple of pictures of the latest arrival which, IMHO, is a delight. Judge for yourselves:-

SAM_0073.JPG
A Marklin Hamo Br 85 2-10-2T finished in DB livery.
Below the second picture is at a slight angle to show the super level of detailing on the die-cast boiler.
SAM_0074.JPG

As a former runner of the original Marklin system the model is entirely up to the high standard I formerly enjoyed with this company's products. It was with this collection that I had my sole experience of digital operation, which was the Motorola system. Somehow I have never really taken to the Lenz type system which was adopted by other makers, thus I now remain firmly an analogue user - I just about know where I am with that :confused:.

I digress!! Obtaining this particular class of loco has led to some re-thinking after researching the class. The Br 85 was a standard design (einheitslok) of the DRG and a class of 10 were built by Henschel & Sohn in 1932-33. Designed as a heavy goods tank locomotive they all ultimately were allocated Freiberg and used as bankers on the Hollental line thus avoiding the requirement of rack workings. One loco was lost (85 002) during WW2 but the remainder survived at Freiberg. The Marklin Hamo rendition of the loco is accurate for the post-war period when the class had been fitted with Witte pattern deflectors. As built they did not have deflectors.

As it happened I had purchased a book "Verkehrsknoten Freiberg" may years back, more by what I thought at that time was by mistake due to my lack of German. However, it is an ill wind, as they say, because now I am refreshing myself by going through it once more to achieve an early post war version of Stutzendorf. The other two locomotives I have can be easily altered by fresh decal to Deutsche Bundesbahn - I have the necessary items to hand :thumbs: - and the rolling stock just as easily dealt with as required. In other ways it will make the project a little easier bearing in mind the whole idea is to use as much of the remaining H0 bits I have lying around. As I remarked in post #4 this is very much being built on the KISS principal, using materials to hand - even more so, given present circumstances. In my usual way, the whole object is, on this occasion, to just reflect the Hollental/Freiberg part of Germany without actually attempting to faithfully reproduce in model form a specific building or area. To take that latter course is not within my skill set.

So there we are - I will continue to progress as well and as quickly as circumstances allow - the ultimate would be that if I can't get on with it I shall have to go back to 1/72 scale aero-modelling which I have enjoyed in my time and it is certainly less demanding of physical strength and effort..........:confused::(!

I'll let you know how the cookie crumbles :rolleyes:.

Roger

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Been itching ( ;) ) to see this, Roger, which also unfortunately has made me somewhat late to the party :(

I’ve always considered that models from German manufacturers display the mass of the prototypes they represent rather well. For purposes of (modelling) practicality, I suppose the die cast parts help in this respect too. Real quality. It’s no wonder therefore I’ve always found them a tad expensive.

My sympathies, Roger, for the rather protracted NHS ‘journey’, although the delay will ensure that for the time being, the construction of this pending Teutonic masterpiece will progress uninterrupted :thumbs:

Let’s hope the book is blessed with an album’s worth of photos:)

Really pleased to read you’ve made a start, Roger.

Cheers for now,

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Thank you all for the kind remarks. A bit of a down day today so it's more a time for reading Verkehrsknoten Freiberg again. Plenty of pictures in there Jon, it's quite inspirational.... :) !

Roger

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Ian,

Thank you for your kind remarks, so far the decision on the aneurysm is by medication only - the rest of the situation has all gone quiet at present :rolleyes:.

Roger