Super Glue

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I have never really got on with this type of glue(the main problem is weak joints), but sometimes it is the only glue to use, so perhaps someone who does uses it with more success can hopefully recommend which type I should be using?...BTW I usually use it for etch to plastic joins, but any recommendations for other applications........
Cheers Phill :thumbs:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I tend to use thicker 'gel' type superglue if I have to use it at all; it's more controllable than the runny stuff that floods everywhere including up your fingers :headbang: and takes a bit longer to set so there's some 'work time' if the item isn't in exactly the right place.

28ten

Guv'nor
I use Zap http://www.zapglue.com/ both the pink and green and the zip kicker (from a bottle). If you shop about on ebay you can pick it up at a reasonable price. there is a guide on the JLTRT site somewhere. Its the best stuff I have used anyway.
But like you, I dont like glueing, I have an image of this Western going over a joint and the nose falling off :shit:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
But like you, I dont like glueing, I have an image of this Western going over a joint and the nose falling off :shit:
:scratch: I don't blame you Cynric, when I get round to building one I will secure it from the inside as well with something more substantial :thumbs:

marsa69

Western Thunderer

Didn't they fall off in real life being a hydraulic an all? :shock: :twisted:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
marsa69 said:
Didn't they fall off in real life being a hydraulic an all? :shock: :twisted:
What's going on 'ere, then...?? :shock:
Do we have some kind of Anti-Hydraulic Troll in our midst :scratch: ...(says the Dark Side infiltrator :p )
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82#p3244

Lancer will be along shortly to issue you with detention and 1000 Lines for misbehaving in Class, laddie...
mad0257.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rjr

Western Thunderer
I love this stuff

http://mitrebond.ca/

available form B&Q on the kitchen department for about ?10, but it is a 50g bottle as opposed to normal 5g superglue, I fit kitchens and this will stick cornice mitre together SOLID in seconds, many superglues wont touch MDF.

It is good on metals to, the picture is unclear but the glue is accelerated by the marker pen (standing behind the bottle in the picture) draw on one surface with the marker apply glue to the other surface, put together and its stuck !

John
RJR

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
That looks like a really useful piece of kit in my bodging armoury John :laugh: .........thanks for the tip, I'm sure it will hundreds of uses on outdoor railways too :thumbs: , I'm planning some UPVC platforms at some stage, have you tried it on UPVC ?

Cheers Phill :wave:

rjr

Western Thunderer
Works fine on uPVC, used in several times both work and hobby related.

Work wise I still keep a small tube of "standard" superglue in the van though, it comes in handy for repairing cuts to fingers :) smarts for a second but then back on with the job !

John

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
CME & Bottlewasher said:
[quote=""Phill Dyson"":3cfyhf3k]I have never really got on with this type of glue(the main problem is weak joints), but sometimes it is the only glue to use, so perhaps someone who does uses it with more success can hopefully recommend which type I should be using?...BTW I usually use it for etch to plastic joins, but any recommendations for other applications........
Cheers Phill :thumbs:

Hi Phill, :wave:

The issue with 'weak joints' could be the difference between - I believe that my terminology is correct - 'waterbased cyanos' and 'resin based cyanos'. I hope that this helps. Your applictions are fairly common and Brian Daniels recommended such for my 03 with the final fit of details etc. :)[/quote:3cfyhf3k]
Hi :wave: , could you point me in the direction of the particular resin based cyano that you & Brian are using ? :)

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
marsa69 said:
It were Private Ploffy mister, honest! ;)
He is doing it again hydraulic bashing nothing wrong with a bit of plumbing. Now keep it up boyo and i'm going to get you after school :vista: :vista: :twisted:
Ian

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Right you've had your last chance. MARSA69 GO TO THE BACK OF THE CLASS AND PUT YOUR HANDS ONYOUR HEAD AND FACE THE WALL. :lol:
IPLOFFY YOUR OBVIOUSLY THE INSTIGATOR YOU WILL STAY BEHIND AND SEE THE GUV'NOR. :lol:
iF THIS CONTINUES WE WILL BE FORCED TO CONTACT YOUR PARENTS AND THEN YOU'LL BE IN SERIOUS POOP :shit: :lol: :lol: